sanitize leather?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Detailing and Bodywork - Interior and Exterior including Body and Wheels Discussion, sanitize leather? in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; I need advice on leather cleaning/fluid removal. I wiped the leather down with some basic leather cleaner but I'm not ...
    mythy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Eldorado 98

sanitize leather?

I need advice on leather cleaning/fluid removal. I wiped the leather down with some basic leather cleaner but I'm not happy with the results and was wondering if I can safely use a small amount of rubbing alcohol with out damaging the leather The seats are worn near the seams on the one side I need to clean so I'm trying to be extra careful I'd hate to eat the surface away...

Ideas on what to use?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: sanitize leather?

DO NOT use rubbing alcohol on leather.

Go to www.autogeek.net and read up on leather preservation and cleaning.

MWA
    MWA is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 Black Raven CTS, 07 Gold Mist CTS

Try Leatherique.com. By far the finest product I have ever used on any leather product, including fine leather Cadillac seats. That site explains the necessary "feeding" of fine leather.

dirt_cheap_fleetwood is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1990 350 Brougham (The cruiser), 1988 Mark VII LSC (The DD)

^ Yes, use Leatherique. I used it on my '88 with FANTASTIC results. The leather is 20 years old and was all stiff and cracked. I have done 3 treatments so far (takes about 5-6 hours to soak in fully) and it just keeps getting better every time. The leather is very soft now and is extremely pleasant to the touch.

thurstb is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1989 Cadillac Brougham

^^Leatherique is AWESOME! used it on my 89 which had had NO care at all since new, it pulled out all of the dirt and crud and made the seats look new again. applied the rejuvenator with a foam brush,let the car sit in the sun with the windows up all day...then applied the cleaner that evening. about $80 for 2 32oz bottles with shipping. worth it!

Flash man is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 78 Cadillac Seville

Do noy use IPA or any type of solvents on leather. If you want to save some money, and use a high quality product. Then I would recommend using Bullseye Leather cleaner (5.95 16 oz bottle) and then condition your leather with Flash Leather Conditioning creme (8.95 16 oz bottle). Bullseye leather cleaner is safe for your leather. It contains no harsh caustics and cleans with surfactants. The conditioning creme contains Lanolin and neatsfoot oil to condition and soften leather. Your leather seats will soften in 1 or two applications. You can view these products in the vendor section under Flashwax.

Joe Flash man

concorso is offline Cadillac Owners Master

Quote Originally Posted by mythy View Post
    I need advice on leather cleaning/fluid removal. I wiped the leather down with some basic leather cleaner but I'm not happy with the results and was wondering if I can safely use a small amount of rubbing alcohol with out damaging the leather The seats are worn near the seams on the one side I need to clean so I'm trying to be extra careful I'd hate to eat the surface away...

Ideas on what to use?
    First you need to find out what kind of leather you are dealing with? Im guessing a pigmented leather, but I think your Cadillac had real nice leather as option. Put a few water drops on the surface of the leather where its clean and not worn away, and let the water stand for a few minutes. If it soaks in, its natural leather of some form. If it sits on top, its pigmented leather, and youll need to ignore all the 'conditioning cream' suggestions as it has a vinyl coating that will stop the conditioner from doing any good.
    Next, you need to tell us what type of fluid stain it is. If its very personal, just imply what it is.

Do you have access to a steamer?

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

mythy hasn't been around much since he started this thread 1.6 years ago........

Quote Originally Posted by submariner409 View Post
    mythy hasn't been around much since he started this thread 1.6 years ago........
    Good eye...someone needs to 'facepalm fail' the guy who posted above you...

Flash man is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 78 Cadillac Seville

Quote Originally Posted by concorso View Post
    First you need to find out what kind of leather you are dealing with? Im guessing a pigmented leather, but I think your Cadillac had real nice leather as option. Put a few water drops on the surface of the leather where its clean and not worn away, and let the water stand for a few minutes. If it soaks in, its natural leather of some form. If it sits on top, its pigmented leather, and youll need to ignore all the 'conditioning cream' suggestions as it has a vinyl coating that will stop the conditioner from doing any good.
    Next, you need to tell us what type of fluid stain it is. If its very personal, just imply what it is.

Do you have access to a steamer?

Hey Concorso,

Whats the F... is your problem. You need to mind your own business about the posts that I make. You know nothing about leather. All you know is what you read on the internet, then copy and paste. You seem to be such an expert in every field. Let me tell you that my expertise is in chemicals. Did you go to school for this? Do you have hands on experience in this category? DO YOU DO THIS FOR A LIVING? You are one of the idiots that has caused me a lot of problems on this forum. By attacking me and my business. Well I see that you have made it hard for me to do business on this forum and you have lost advertising revenue for Cadillac Forums. I hope you are happy. Its people like you that ruin this forum with your negative, arrogant attitude. Goodbye to all of you. I am done here.

Joe Flash man

thurstb is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1989 Cadillac Brougham

bklynbob is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): none

I've used Lexol on all my leather. My CTS is 3 months old,and i treated them recently.I have 2 old leather jackets that are in great shape..............unfortunately i'm not and they don't fit

ccclarke is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2002 ETC Collector's Series, 2004 CTS-V, 2004 XLR

Thumbs down Re: sanitize leather?

Way to go Flash . . . (Why would anyone use a handle based on a comic book character or someone who exposes themselves anyway?) The only negative, arrogant attitude displayed in this thread is YOURS. It's obvious to anyone reading your rambling diatribe that you've had a lot of experience using chemicals; the cummulative effects speak for themselves. Having a good product is half of the equation. Salemanship is the other. Epic fail buddy. Good luck in your next endeavour; --hopefully it won't involve human interaction.

CC

Quote Originally Posted by Flash man View Post
    Hey Concorso,

Whats the F... is your problem. You need to mind your own business about the posts that I make. You know nothing about leather. All you know is what you read on the internet, then copy and paste. You seem to be such an expert in every field. Let me tell you that my expertise is in chemicals. Did you go to school for this? Do you have hands on experience in this category? DO YOU DO THIS FOR A LIVING? You are one of the idiots that has caused me a lot of problems on this forum. By attacking me and my business. Well I see that you have made it hard for me to do business on this forum and you have lost advertising revenue for Cadillac Forums. I hope you are happy. Its people like you that ruin this forum with your negative, arrogant attitude. Goodbye to all of you. I am done here.

Joe Flash man

detroitrust is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1997 eldorado, sold 2010 SRX, Ram, Fusion

I like Joe... some of his stuff is crazy good. Oh, did I just bring this post back...?

Some of his stuff may be good, but he was suggesting things that good detailers wouldnt suggest. You dont want to use oily conditioners (neatsfoot oil, lanolin) on some of the newer leathers. The oil will do absolutely no good as the oil cant get to the fiber, the conditioner may in fact actually attract dust and dirt, which will harm the leather over the long run. If JoeFlash was actually the expert he said he was, he could have explained how I was wrong. Instead he went on this personal trip of 'believe me because Im telling you to'... I mean, he called me an idiot. If I was an idiot and he was the expert, it should have been very easy for him to explain where I was wrong...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.