Headlight tint question
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Detailing and Bodywork - Interior and Exterior including Body and Wheels Discussion, Headlight tint question in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; I am interested in "smoking" the headlight lenses on my 02 seville. I have done numerous searches but cant seem ...
    elvisonsteroids is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 02" Seville SLS

Headlight tint question

I am interested in "smoking" the headlight lenses on my 02 seville. I have done numerous searches but cant seem to find what I am looking for.
    Is there a spray on tint that will work? I understand the kits for taillights have a red tint in them making them a bit unsuitable for headlights. How tough are the lenses to remove from the car?
    I appreciate any guidance that is offered.

Bob

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, install a sound system
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: Headlight tint question

You're messing around with a pair of fairly expensive Lexan lenses. Why?? A smoked Seville looks like hell.

Well I suppose I was looking for more of a stealth look. My seville doesnt have lots of chrome as it is and was going to tint the windows and do the taillights. I guess in my mind I liked the look. Perhaps I will try and photoshop around a bit and rethink this.
    Thanks for the input,
    Bob

deadgnat is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 Cadillac DTS

If you are going to do it, make sure it's easily reversible in case you decide it looks like crap or if you get tired of not being able to see at night. I've done up a car with the removable covers from GTS before. They didn't stay for very long since they were a pain in the butt at night. While those aren't available for your car, you can probably get some pre-cut tint done up for your car. Check with your tint shop or ebay to see what's available. If you don't like it, you're out a minimal amount of money and it won't do any damage to your headlights. I guess another option would be to get a decal/sign shop to make you an eyelid or something that can go over the top portion of the headlight that matches the color of your car but doesn't cover any part of the headlight where light passes through. I'm not sure how that would look on your car since it does have a very long headlight, but there are a lot more design possibilities that way-and like the tint, you can just peel it off if you don't like it.

deadgnat,
    Thats a decent suggestion, I'm still trying to come up with a photoshop representation to see if it is worth the time. how hard is it to remove the lenses? are they sealed? if so i may just forget the whole idea.
    My son has some extra tint lying around it may be worth an experimant.

thanks again,
    Bob

The '02 Seville lenses are a totally sealed unit. Remove the radiator sight shield and you will see 2 bolts, one long, one short, in the inner edge of the lens assembly. Remove them (may be corroded tight). Now work a 2' piece of towel under the lens assembly, against the polymer bumper face. Saves scratches. Work the inside end of the lens forward, and then, while uttering magic words, pull the outer end clear of the TIGHT pop button stud. Now you can remove the various wiring/bulb sockets. If you do not turn the Torx adjusters the lenses stay in alignment when you put it all back together. As long as you have it all apart, replace all the bulbs, and go to PIAA Extreme Whites for the 9005 highs and the 9006 lows. The lens outer rubber gasket can be a bear to get back in alignment.

Careful...even a frosted used unit is $200+. If yours are slightly nicked or frosted try www.customchemicalpkg.com .

Quote Originally Posted by submariner409 View Post
    The '02 Seville lenses are a totally sealed unit. Remove the radiator sight shield and you will see 2 bolts, one long, one short, in the inner edge of the lens assembly. Remove them (may be corroded tight). Now work a 2' piece of towel under the lens assembly, against the polymer bumper face. Saves scratches. Work the inside end of the lens forward, and then, while uttering magic words, pull the outer end clear of the TIGHT pop button stud. Now you can remove the various wiring/bulb sockets. If you do not turn the Torx adjusters the lenses stay in alignment when you put it all back together. As long as you have it all apart, replace all the bulbs, and go to PIAA Extreme Whites for the 9005 highs and the 9006 lows. The lens outer rubber gasket can be a bear to get back in alignment.

Careful...even a frosted used unit is $200+. If yours are slightly nicked or frosted try www.customchemicalpkg.com .
    Thanks that spelled it out perfectly,
    Bob

Southern-Hospitality is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

If you look around you can find these thick self adhesive sheets that can be cut and placed on the front of the lens. They are easily removed too.

I'm not sure where you could find them, I'll try a few searchers and see if I can dig them up.

Southern-Hospitality is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

easy find!

It's actually a lot cheaper than I had originally thought

http://www.decalfx.com/smoked_headlight_film.html

Cadillac Davelle is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 00 DTS lambo white, eibachs, 2011 CTS-V wheels

ok you have 3 options, either do headlight and tail light tint, (which i did on the tails) which last about 3 years but completely removable, or you can do a spray on which you would have to send out, and is permanent, but looks a lot better , or im not even sure if still made but you can try finding the gto light covers

by the way the headlight tint is NOT the same as window tint, headlight tint is way thicker, and most tint shops are now carrying them.

Murphyg is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2001 STS

I would check the laws on tinted head lamps in your area before doing something permanent.
    As mentioned earlier, you can purchase covers for certain makes and models. But depending on where you may live, the laws may require you to remove them at night time.

BIGHOMIE is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Found this seville in Cardomain, he mentioned he had his front headlight tinted. Not bad if you ask me....

That's one fugly car. Bet it rides like a truck (dump truck), too. How much engine air comes out of the stick-on vents ??

BIGHOMIE is offline Cadillac Owners Member

LOL stick on vents are soo played out, heck i seen a GEO METRO flossin vents the other day!!

Anyways, you can tell the headlights where severed yellowed/fogged; should have cleaned them out with a cleaning kit prior from tintin them. If so, it could have came out like these smoked clear lights (pic for example)

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.