Touch-free car wash screw up
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Detailing and Bodywork - Interior and Exterior including Body and Wheels Discussion, Touch-free car wash screw up in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; I always used the auto wash with the microfiber brushes, but started to see faint scratches from it in my ...
    LuvMyV8 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 05 4.6 STS

Touch-free car wash screw up

I always used the auto wash with the microfiber brushes, but started to see faint scratches from it in my black paint. So I decided to try the touch-free wash.

Typically, it sprays a tri-colored foam, but this time it seemed to either be out of the foam or it was malfunctioning and just sprayed the unfoamed detergent on my car.

Either way, after I got home, I realized that my car was covered in spots, which I thought were hard water. I hand washed it, still had spots. Three types of wax, still spots. Went back to the car wash, they ran it though the brush wash twice, still spots.

Scary thing is, when you run your finger over them, they are lower than the surrounding paint. Looks like my paint is etched, so I'm off to the detail shop at lunch to see if they can fix it.

Anyone know how these washes work if it runs out of the detergent? Just wondering what kind of liquid was sprayed on my car instead of the foam.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Brizzal is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Re: Touch-free car wash screw up

most use detergent for there soaps..... try to claybar the car, or if worse you will have to buff the car....

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, install a sound system
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Recycled hard water with mineral content........

The car had been sitting in a parking lot for an hour prior to it, and it was right at 100 degrees. I don't know if that would have "baked" on the hard water spots.

Clay bar didn't fix it, but it lessened the appearance of the minor ones. I tried it after the Megiuars cleaner wax.

The attendant told me that they use harsher chemicals in the touch free, so I don't think I'll take my chances again.

Sandy is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '93 Cadillac 60 Special; '03 Lincoln TownCar Limited ED

In 1966 I was gifted with a beautiful brand new 1966 GTO Convertible. I was very proud of it. About 3 weeks later I took it to the town I live in car wash. Cars were pulled thru via a chain underneath. The chain pulling my car broke. the car behind kept coming & banged into me. I needed a set odf taillight lens, 10 chrome finishing stripes, and a new chrome bumper (mine was scratched.) The car wash insurance paid. Just 3 weeks later my Mom took her Caddy Coupe deVille to the same place. The rotating brushes got under her side moulding and ripped the entire thing off the car.
    Since then none of us has been to a car wash. So, that's 42 years ! I do all cars myself, at home in the driveway. I hope you can get your Caddy back to where it was, and follow my example.
    Use "No. 7" Car Wash, to wash, a good Electric lawn & leaf blower to dry, Westley Bleach White for WW Tires. a good portable vacuum to do the rugs, and Souverne by Pinnacle to wax.
    You're young. I'm Old. I can do a car in 45 minutes. A to Z. You'll drive for 10 minutes to get there & 10 minutes to get home and wait in line for 15 minutes and 10 minutes to go thru = 45 minutes, you'll pay, what ? $10.00 ? and not be happy.
    Take her to a good detail shop & show & tell them what happened. I wish you well & I do feel your pain.

Luckily, the body shop's son wants my Vogue wheels, so they offered to do work on it in exchange. I had some hail damage and door dings, and he does paintless dent removal. So he'll take care of the dents and the spots, wax it, and fully detail it.

Good damn thing, since the car wash backed off of their "we'll do whatever it takes" promise from yesterday. He said its not his fault, and that washing my black car in 100 degree heat caused my spots. His chemical rep told him that any time it so much as rains on a black car, you will have white water spots. While what he says may be true, I have never had spots like these. My car had a white haze with white polka dots when I got home, and "water spots" would wash off. These are in my clear coat.

On the way home, I'll be giving them back the 20 or so "free vacuum" tokens from the many times I've been through their wash over the last nine months. That's the last time they see my business - doin it myself from here on.

Kick94sts is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1994 sts

i usually just run my car through the cheapest auto setting and go home and dry it myself.

SPreston2001 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2000 Polo Green Metallic Cadillac STS 60K

Damn that sucks. I would threaten to get a attorney and see if he folds! Usually they will do something when you start to put a little heat on em!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.