Film for front of car to prevent chips
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Detailing and Bodywork - Interior and Exterior including Body and Wheels Discussion, Film for front of car to prevent chips in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Someone mentioned that Road block was the film put on the front of the car to prevent damage from chips ...
    ljbryan is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Question Film for front of car to prevent chips

Someone mentioned that Road block was the film put on the front of the car to prevent damage from chips etc. Where can I get it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Cal
    Cal is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Re: Film for front of car to prevent chips

airbalancer is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

any 3M dealer will have it

elwesso is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45

Dont call me stupid, but I hear of people (mainly in the south) that put pam on the front of their cars so the bugs dont stick so bad.....

Lanman is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS-V

The guys that tinted my windows also sell the protective film for the front of cars. When I asked him about it he said that it worked really great but that he would not recommend it for a black car because the film does get scratches in it and they show up on dark cars. They were applying it to a medium gray 5 series BMW when I was there and unless you got up close and were looking for it you could hardly tell it was there. To me it kind of gave the front bumper a bit of an orange peel finish but hey, most of our CTS's have that anyway. He also said that the film they used had a 4 year warranty so for anybody with a lighter color car it's probably a good investment.

CTSV OWNER is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTSV

I have "Roadblock" installed on my CTSV the installer told me that the 3M stuff is slightly thinner and not as plyable to mold around the bends. the website is www.autobahndint.com Tell them if your car is a V because the front is different than a non V. Make sure before they install it you don't have wax on the front end. And for Pete's sake no bugs either. He did say it can scratch so be carefull during cleaning. Installed cost was $325.00
    I am glad to have the front end protected without a ugly bra that leaves marks in the paint.

Rich H is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

the 3M stuff is slightly thinner and not as plyable to mold around the bends
    You are right about the 3M clear film- they can't wrap it around sharp corners. However, the installer knew the limitation and managed to wrap it around the front 12" of my hood & fenders and the backs of the mirrors by trimming to avoid sharp bends. I also had them put a clear film on my plastic headlight covers although they said Cadillac told them it was unnecessary. Won't hurt though. Got it all done for less than $200 and it is almost invisible on light platinum. I already have my first rock pit in the film that saved the paint on the hood.

Rich H

Cal

My view on the rock pits/chips is that it will happen eventually, so why delay the inevitable.

I put some of the thick film crap that the driving assoc. I went to had at Pocono and now I have some lovely adhesive marks I will have to get buffed out of my hood...oh well. Half-assing it just got me annoying marks on the car.

Rock chips don't bother me that much - but they always seem to come up in conversations with the buyer when I resell a car. This is the first time I've tried it so I'll see if it pays off. I don't think it can hurt in Colorado since they sand the roads nearly 8 months out of the year.

By the way, window tint is a must here. I've had car interiors totally ruined by long term exposure to UV. I got the car tinted when the 3M film was applied.

StealthV is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 Z06 / 2013 F150 EcoBeast / 2008 Twin-Turbo Bimmer

Going to give the film a try for the first time on my V also when it arrives in June. My last black car got sandblasted over the years and I'm hoping to at least slow down that process.

VCONVERT is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V

Does anyone know how difficult it is to remove this film once it becomes chipped, scratched, etc. I would like to use this when my V comes in but don't want to harm the paint upon removal. Thanks.

StealthV is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 Z06 / 2013 F150 EcoBeast / 2008 Twin-Turbo Bimmer

What prices are you paying for the protective film? Got a quote for ~$450 for the V, is this in the ballpark? My V is being built in two weeks so I need to make a decision soon. Thanks.

Cal

You will all be pleased to know (sarcasm) that I got the car detailed and the places where the shitty film I used at the track had baked on are NOT removable. I would basically need a sanding and/or new paint job. Hooray. Ah well, they are minor and most of it is on the hood so if I get too annoyed I can replace that, but regardless, be warned. My partner, who ran body shops for years, basically summed it up:

don't put ANYthing on your paint.

He said even those nose covers can cause permanent paint fade if you put it out in the sun long enough.

Just my two cents, me and my scarred-up baby.

BUILDINGCTSAMG is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

I had it put on and while its good and all its not the best invention ever

the places where the !@#$% film I used at the track had baked on are NOT removable. I would basically need a sanding and/or new paint job.
    1) What was the brand of the film?
    2) How was it removed?
    3) How deep is the damage? Just the clear coat or into the base coat? You should be able to buff out the clear coat with some polishing compound.

Rich H

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.