The right way to wax a Cadillac - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Cadillac Detailing and Bodywork - Interior and Exterior including Body and Wheels Discussion, The right way to wax a Cadillac in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; IM still not brave enough to buff my own car after seeing my bos try it on a Vixen Motorhome. ...
    Dead Sled is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    IM still not brave enough to buff my own car after seeing my bos try it on a Vixen Motorhome. he wore through the paint into the gelcoat

Dr. Jones is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Originally posted by Dead Sled
    IM still not brave enough to buff my own car after seeing my bos try it on a Vixen Motorhome. he wore through the paint into the gelcoat
    my guess is that he was using a rotary buff (did it have a speed controll as a number (ie 1-6) or was it around 1000 (ie rpms). With those yes you can hurt your car. With a duel action buffer, like the porter cable 7424 (or 7336) you are much much safer. These buffers don't just spin in place, the pad rotates, but it also has lateral movement, (hence 'duel action') This keeps it from building up as much heat. Which in some cases is good and safer, but it also keeps you from getting the best results with the best products. There is a really good video showing how easy it is to use one of these buffers, i'll try and find the link and post it here. Basically with a duel action, you can do a little bit of reading, and be ready to buff your own car without having to worry about damaging it.

Dead Sled is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    it was a Snap-On polisher 1000rpm

Mad'lac is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1984 Fleetwood Brougham coupe
    What can you tell me about "Pink Glaze"? My local body shop seems to live by the stuff. I'm not sure if Pink Glaze is the name of the product.

Dr. Jones is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Originally posted by Mad'lac
    What can you tell me about "Pink Glaze"? My local body shop seems to live by the stuff. I'm not sure if Pink Glaze is the name of the product.
    Well there are 3 compaines that make a pink glaze. The most popular is 3M, then there is a company called American something or other (i forget) and some company that died out a while back that had one. It's probably the 3m stuff, which i've never used but i hear it's pretty decent, but can leave a haze. In general a glaze is just a filler. They often have oils and silicone which just fill the swirls and cover up what is wrong. Meaning that the results might be good, but they usually don't last. I personally like to do the job right the first time.

If a customer comes to me i'm not going to throw some glaze on their car that will make it look nice, for a month or so. I'm going to remove the swirls and smooth out the clear coat, so without anything besides the paint, it still looks good. Then i'll top it off with a good sealent that will last 6+ months. To me that is the right way to do it, but people have their own opinions.

kcnewell is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    That's one of the reasons I don't do detail shops!

elwesso is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
    I dont do them either, for 2 reasons. 1. Too expensive, 2. Its more fun to do it myself.

I would consider going to those types of shops if i knew the products they used. And possibly if they had pictures of results. Still, id rather do it myself. I have to have something to do on the weekend.

robertcreighton is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    I have the Griot's orbital buffer and it works great for applying the wax. I remove and polish by hand. If you want a good wax job that makes the paint really look deep, use the Griots clay bar first. You will be amazed how much deep grit this removes after washing and will leave the finish smooth as silk.

the Sandman is offline ...Reloaded
    Automobile(s): '05 XLR

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.