Cadillac Owners Forum banner

How to clean the leather steering wheel?

24K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Submariner409 
#1 · (Edited)
SO I was detailing the interior today, it's leather of course; and when I was cleaning the steering wheel I noticed the outer layer was rubbing off. Im assuming that it is dirt or whatever, so does anyone know what cleaning product would clean it best? I was just using water, but it takes too long.

#2 ·
umm the steering wheel is leather wrapped.

water is bad for leather

i used to use lexol cleaner and conditioner, but it would leave the wheel sticky or tacky even thought it was clean and soft and leathery etc etc. so now i use lexol cleaner rubbed in with a terry towel, then leather conditioner rubbed in with a terry towel, then black magic 2 in 1 leather care (which is a white cream in a spray bottle with a faint pleasant scent) rubbed in with a terry towel, then i come back with a micro fiber towel and wipe the wheel down to get all the excess stuff off. i love the way my wheel looks and feels after that treatment

#6 ·
:rolleyes: You're in a perfect part of the country to find out about leather care. Head to your local saddle or tack shop and ask them. Buy a small can of Neat's Foot oil and/or a can of saddle soap. Follow instructions......(Dollars to doughnuts the outer layer you refer to is the final dye/finish coat. Once it starts to go, there's little you can do....Had a Taurus LX w/leather, and the wheel did the same thing as your pic at about 6 years.)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.