Vynl Top Repairs
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Detailing and Bodywork - Interior and Exterior including Body and Wheels Discussion, Vynl Top Repairs in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Ok, i have a dilemma here, my 91 Eldo has been through alot and the vynl top isnt lookin so ...
    Huss is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Vynl Top Repairs

Ok, i have a dilemma here, my 91 Eldo has been through alot and the vynl top isnt lookin so good.
    Fading, scratches, discoloration all that stuff.
    anyone have any suggestions as to what to do? any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Art Tag is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: Vynl Top Repairs

I am in the middle of restoring my white vinyl roof on my 1989 Brougham D'elegance. Mainly, the problems are faded color, and fine "hair like" cracks in the vinyl, especially near the back window where the fabric is spongey
    My procedure is planned like this:
    1.) cleaned entire roof with "Soft Scrub with Bleach" (did a fantastic job, took off all mildew and needed sunglasses to look at it because it came out so bright!)
    2.) fill all cracks with clear G.E. Silicone (good stuff but takes awhile to cure)
    3.) two cans of white Krylon "Fusion' spray paint. (advertised as "bonds to plastic, vinyl, PVC etc. with no prior prep)
    I figure if I take my time and do a number of thin coats, it won't run and it will certainly beat the expense of a new vinyl roof.
    My next concern will be deciding what to apply as a clear UV protectant or sealant after painting.
    Anybody out there with any other suggestions please speak up because I haven't spray painted yet and am still waiting for the silicone to dry.
    (still cold up here in New England!)

SuperSport is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Silicone may not have been a very good choice since nothing sticks to it. I've been doing body and paint work for over twenty years and silicone products are a strict no-no around the shop. Paint will gravitate away from any silicone contaminated surface causing a paint problem known as fisheyes. A vinyl repair product or super weatherstrip adhesive may have been a better choice for your repair. Even if you completely remove the previously applied silicone, residual product will remain on the surface and more than likely cause adhesion problems for whatever you apply. You might be better off just leaving well enough alone and applying a good vinyl preservative such as Vinylex by Lexol. Stay away from any products which contain silicone. Good luck.

Goodyr is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 94 Seville 2006 STS

I purchased my 94 sls in December and the top was a light color and looked alright except it had some spots here and there where someone had tried to spot clean with something. This was in several places and would not clean up. My top is the simulated top with the fiber glass shell under it. I had the top painted with Dupont Vinyl paint. The paint was very expensive but was worth it. They used a little less than a qt and half. I had it painted light beige and it turned out great. It will last until I decide to get it replaced or sell the car. The auto collision class at the school where I work did it. They wouldn’t take the pieces above the doors or the chrome moldings off. After I did I it I knew why. You have to be very careful or you will strip out the screw holes.

Ralph

Art Tag is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Supersport, Thanks for setting me straight on Silicone. What I didn't mention in my last thread was that I intend to apply a "skin" of paintable "Phenoseal" liquid caulk to the areas that I just siliconed. But, what your telling me is NOTHING adheres properly to silicone so the "liquid caulk' won't adhere either so I'm still going to have a problem.
    Leaving it "as is" is really not an option because it looks like hell and I'm just going to have to take my chances and:
    1.) use a light steel wool and get off as much as the the silicone as possible
    2.) apply a light skin of the liquid caulk (advertised as "paintable")
    3.) spray with Krylon (vinyl paint)
    4.) PRAY!
    In the future I'll remember silicone and paint do not mix. When you think about it, it only makes sense because the silicone is not porous and the paint has nothing to "bite" into.
    Thanks,
    Art

SuperSport is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Attempting to remove the silicone by rubbing with steel wool or other abrasive means may very well exacerbate the problem by grinding the silicone deeper into the surface. It's kinda like prep-sanding a freshly waxed car withought dewaxing first. Paint problems will occur. Once silicone cures, it won't even stick to itself. Wax and grease remover may cut it but I'm doubtful.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.