Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Responce to an e-mail from Myers Cadillac (Ottawa)

10K views 22 replies 5 participants last post by  fierodough 
#1 ·
The full story can be found here:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forum...sv-forum-1999/174248-i-am-having-bad-day.html

and here:
http://www.j-body.com/community/showthread.php?t=28261

Here is my response:

Cory Egan said:
Sent: September 10, 2009 1:21 PM
To: Eric.Villeneuve
Cc: Marc Seguin [mseguin@myers.ca]; bob rintoul [brintoul@myers.ca];
Subject: Internet Blog

Cory Egan said:
Good morning Eric,

We were contacted by General Motors about some blogs and posts you made on the j-body and Cadillac forums. A GM rep came accross them and contacted the Customer Care Centre and asked them to contact us.
Nice to see that some GM reps care enough to escalate our concerns and are also roaming around on these boards.

Cory Egan said:
Thank you for the positive comments you previously posted about the great service Myers and myself have provided you in the past.
I believe that feedback should not only be negative. When I leave an establishment as a satisfied customer, I make sure to leave appropriate feedback to management and let them know of a job well done.

Cory Egan said:
But I am saddened and disappointed that you would now present Myers and myself (by name)in such a negative light concerning the issues with the Budget rental during the summer.
I see nothing wrong with the post I have made here about Myers or about yourself. You will note that i simply named you out and I even went as far as saying that I do not believe that your are to blame in this situation.

Cory Egan said:
You posted in your blog that the only reason you were being charged for the repairs was for Myers' financial gain due to the poor economy. This is not only inaccurate but it is slanderous. In one post on j-body.com you even insinuated that Myers was fraudulently performing repairs on the rental in order to hold you responsible for the cost of the repairs Here is your quote-"I'm starting to think something else was up and they are trying to make me pay for repairs..". The rental clearly had a non warrantable breakdown due to contaminated fuel and throughout the entire repair process Myers and myself not only kept you fully informed of what was going on with the repairs but it was Myers and myself that pressured Budget to absorb your insurance deductible. So the only one who truly gained finalcially was yourself.
I am sorry Mr. Egan, but to this day I still believe that I was wronged and I stand behind my statements.

Why were you in contact with me for a repair on a Budget vehicle? Had the car been rented from Enterprise a few blocks down or from AVIS, would you of contacted me? Or is the fact that this Budget counter is INSIDE the Myers dealership have anything to do with it?

What relationship does this Budget counter have with Myers? Funny thing is that all the Budget vehicles at this counter were purchased from Myers. I assume that Myers owns this Budget franchise.

And HOW did I benefit from this financially? Did Budget give me the car to keep? I did not get as much as a free cup of coffee from this. How have I gained??

Cory Egan said:
You quoted later in a post that "Calling my insurance company was a knee jerk reaction to the threats from the dealer. I admit that I panicked at the high cost of repairs combined with having to pay the additional rental costs for ever day the car is down.". I fail to see how Myers or more inportantly myself threatened you. You quoted in one post, an e-mail that I had sent to you with the estimate breakdown but forgot to include the part where I suggest you contact your insurance company or credit card provider to see if they can offer assistance. Doesn't sound threatening to me.
Here is the actual E-mail you sent me:
Cory Egan's initial e-mail said:
Sent: July 10, 2009 2:07 PM
To: eric.villeneuve
Subject: rental vehicle repairs

Hi Eric,

Further to our conversation here is a written version of the diagnostic procedures and findings on the rental car that broke down on you this morning.

Upon vehicle arrival-verified no start concern. Scan checked for codes. Code P0300 misfire in system. Remove fuel filler cap, found water sitting on top of filler neck under cap. Checked the fuel rail at the engine to find water there also. Suspect either contaminated fuel from gas station or vandalism.

The fuel tank will have to be removed, fuel drained and fuel lines flushed. The tank will then be cleaned. The fuel pump (module) will have to be replaced as it has been damaged as a result of contamination.

Cost of the repair breakdown as follows.

Fuel pump $ 642.00
2 cans of fuel treatment $ 50.38
Labor 3.5 hrs at 109.00/hr= 381.50 (includes cleaning tank and flushing lines)
Refil tank with new fuel $ 60.00 (aprox)
Lost rental revenue from Budget (to be determined based on vehicle down time).

I would suggest calling your insurance company, and/or Credit card issuer to see what, if any coverage they offer.

If you have any questions or concerns feel free to call me.

Best Regards,
Cory
When I read this, ESPECIALLY with the LOST RENTAL REVENUE, I read it as pay me now, settle this in order to not have to pay more. Sounds threatening to me.

Cory Egan said:
You also posted the original estimate given to you was $1600.00. The insurance company said it was $830.00 . The dollar amounts don't matter. What matters is the fact you didn't mention that the estimate we gave vs the insurance estimates were different because the insurance company may have been pricing out used or aftermarket parts and the labor they allow is usually less time than the job actually takes.Any body shop can verify this. So no... we were not trying to "take you to the cleaners".
Cory, was the fuel pump my insurance company paid for used? Did you put a USED can a fuel treatment in the car? Did you put USED gas in the car? The insurance company will pay the book rate for repairs. So where is this magical used part that my insurance company saved over half the repair amount with?

Cory Egan said:
You failed to mention in any of your posts that fact that Myers and Budget were hoping to not have that incident tarnish our buisness relationship and even after Budget had paid your deductible the fact that they are still willing to allow you to drive their vehicles. Our service Director even sent an e-mail to Budget pleading your case. Due to privacy issues this e-mail is not attached but is available for you to read if you choose.
My Escalade is at your shop right now, that is called giving you another chance. You failed to mention that I asked for YOU specifically to look after my truck. I specifically asked for YOU to be my service adviser. I would ASSUME that this meant our relationship was NOT tarnished. Until NOW.

Cory Egan said:
Myers Cadillac Chevrolet is the number one dealer in customer satisfaction in the country and have been for over a year and a half. We got that way by treating all of our customers with dignity, compassion and respect. Something else you also failed to mention.
No actually, I have not failed to mention this. Actually, most people on this forum are sick and tired of hearing me boast about your quality service. If you only knew how many people I have sent your way. Including family. Yes, Dan Villeneuve and the red CTS. Ralph with the 2006 White STS in for a head gasket NOT under warranty. I even sent people over to buy their Cadillac from Myers.

Cory Egan said:
As far as the current repairs to your Escalade they will be treated the same as any other Cadillac customer but after that it may be best that Myers and yourself part ways as we obviously cannot provide you with the level of service you require.
I agree, and after this post, perhaps your level of service will not suit others as well.

Cory Egan said:
Feel free to post this e-mail in any of your posts and blogs so the public can hear both sides of the story.
Done, and you will agree that I have not changed anything in your message and I am fully transparent.

See less See more
#2 ·
Mr. Cory Egan and Myers Cadillac you truly fit the stereotype of a car salesman and car lot. Your dealership should have responded to this man's blogs by saying you will eat the bill. What is a measily $1600 to your dealership especially when you would only have to eat a fraction of that getting the parts and labor at cost? I for one will tell all of my friends to never shop at your dealership. Get your Escalade out of this crooked place!!!!

#4 ·
Thanks for the feedback guys. :)

Here is the complaint I sent at www.cadillac.com I had to keep it under 1000 char.

Cadillac Complaint about Myers said:
I have a customer relation complaint about one of your dealers. Myers Cadillac in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.

The issues span over the course of a year and range from sexist remarks to my wife to questionable business practices while servicing my Cadillac Escalade. All of my complaints are public and transparent and can be seen at the following web addresses:

Here is the full story pertaining to sexist remarks made to my wife:
http://www.j-body.com/community/showthread.php?t=23973

My response to an e-mail I received from my service adviser ad Myers Cadillac:
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forum...91-responce-e-mail-myers-cadillac-ottawa.html

Discussion is getting so big that the thread is split into two parts:
http://www.j-body.com/community/showthread.php?t=29065

The full story pertaining to my complaint about questionable business practices:
http://www.j-body.com/community/showthread.php?t=28261

I am concerned as the truck is being serviced at Myers as we speak. I am concerned for the security of my property based on this dealer’s recent reputation.

#5 ·
Mr. Cory Egan,
I really hope you got approval from a party higher up the ladder to write the recent email concerning ending your business relationship with this customer. I now have also read the initial complaints and emails on j-body between you and this customer. I believe this customer was not only treated wrong, but also you engaged in illegal business practices. I showed these discussions to a friend who is a high-profile defense attorney in the Dayton, Ohio area and he stated that this customer would have a strong case against you for illegal business practices in the way this matter was handled. He stated that he would need more information, but from what he has read so far that this customer could also sue you for all losses incurred including monetary reimbursements for time lost, stress, and derogatory/ sexist remarks against this man's wife. If you wrote the recent email to this customer without approval from someone higher up then the only business relationship that should be dissolved is the one between you, Mr. Egan, and your present emloyer, Myers Cadillac.
Sincerely,
OSU411Yamaha

#7 ·
Latest update:

Cory Egan said:
-----Original Message-----
Sent: September 16, 2009 12:06 PM
To: Eric.Villeneuve@statcan.gc.ca
Subject: vehicle status

Hello Eric,

At this time the repairs are complete on your vehicle. The rental is due back before the end of the day. The DSM has determined that most issues with your vehicle are considered normal wear and tear. The cluster assembly order has been canceled. I will include the part # on your invoice for you to take to another Cadillac dealer to order and install.
So basically, they are clearly denying warranty repairs at this point because of what was said on here. Can someone forward me the e-mail of a customer relations contact at GM to forward all e-mails to.

I also need to make a request through the access to informations act to see what they have written in my file. I am sure they will try and make things complicated for me at another dealer.

#9 · (Edited)
Hey! I'm glad to see a fellow Cadillac enthusiast from Ottawa! If you are interested in a DTS, let me know. I have many friends and family working at GM. I can keep an eye out for a good deal for ya.

PS: If it's a grey / slate DTS... It might be the rental they had given me a while back. I had to return it early because it was in such bad shape!

Cheers!

#10 · (Edited)
Here is a scan of the invoice. Nearly all complaints were "As per DSM-NOT WARRANTABLE -WEAR AND TEAR

According to one of the last pages, I am banned from going to any Myers Cadillac or Mews Chevrolet. I am also not allowed to rent any AVIS or Budget vehicles.

I called the DSM, he is actually of friend of my brother's. Turns out he is on vacation until Sept. 21st??? Who is this DSM who checked my truck???? Myers is GM Ontario district 9.

Now if this was not enough, the hood flew open as my wife was driving!! For God sakes!! talk about going out of your way to terminate a customer relationship! Luckily when we were heading home, it was bumper to bumper traffic and we never got up to speed. The hood flew open as she was crawling over a speed bump. This could of been tragic on the highway!

I will attach pictures of the actual part on the truck with the job number on the invoice.

#14 ·
Job #18 and #19
Complaint: White file inside right and left headlamps
Cause: To be reviewed by GM DSM
Correction: As per DSM - NOT WARRANTABLE - WEAR AND TEAR

Hard to see with camera, but especially noticeable when headlamps are on. There is a white film inside. According to Cadillacforums.com, this is cause by the high temps of the DRL heating up the plastic and this releases fumes that make the white film.

#17 ·
Job #24
Complaint: Right front seat leather cracking
Cause: To be reviewed by GM DSM
Correction: WEAR AND TEAR - NOT WARRANTABLE AS PER DSM

Funny thing, they replaced the drivers side a few months back and told me to come back when the passenger side gets worse. Lied to again!!

#18 ·
Sorry to say this, but a few of those things, not all, I have to agree are normal wear and tear for a 3+ year old vehicle. They did fix your warped brakes too, which I know some have trouble getting their dealers to perform. Not taking any sides here. Hope it all works out in the end for you and that you are able to keep all of this in perspective too.

#19 ·
A couple things I could see trying to have Cadillac fix. But some of the things, like the finish on the backside of the rims and exhaust tip peeling are fairly goofy things to expect the dealer to refinish.

Things like engine pinging and load leveling suspensions not leveling is what I'd expect to have addressed.

#20 ·
#21 ·
Just for clarification on the rim issue. That thread has comments from folks, including me, with 07+ Lades that had rim/rims replaced due to leaking air caused by corrosion and clearly visible flaking/rust/corrosion. I really don't know how my dealer would have reacted if the complaint was about the backside of the rim. Nonetheless, again, I wish you the best. Life is too short to get too wound up about things like this. ;)

#23 ·
Thank you for the clarification. Turns out the wheels should be covered as per GM Bulletin:

#07-03-10-015: General Motors New Vehicle Wheel Warranty Coverage - (Nov 6, 2007)

Subject:General Motors New Vehicle Wheel Warranty Coverage

Models:1996-2008 GM Passenger Cars and Light Duty Trucks (including Saturn)
2003-2008 HUMMER H2
2006-2008 HUMMER H3
2005-2008 Saab 9-7X

<A href="http://gsi.xw.gm.com/si/showDoc.do?docSyskey=2037107&from=sm#ss1-2037107">The General Motors New Vehicle Wheel Warranty

This bulletin has been issued to clarify warrantable conditions on GM OEM wheels. It is our intent that this one document will answer many of the warranty scenarios you are likely to encounter. Unlike other parts of the vehicle, wheels encounter various road hazards, corrosive substances and abuses that may present questions in both the mind of the customer and the dealer. Eligible conditions are warranted for the full term of the New Vehicle Warranty. Currently for Chevrolet (except Corvette), Pontiac and Saturn, this is 3 years / 36,000 miles (60,000 km) and for Buick, Cadillac, HUMMER and Corvette, coverage is for 4 years / 50,000 miles (80,000 km).
<A href="http://gsi.xw.gm.com/si/showDoc.do?docSyskey=2037107&from=sm#ss2-2037107">Information Sources for Wheel Issues

The following GM Service Bulletins contain information useful to minimizing possible damage, and reducing customer concerns that may arise through incorrect servicing and improper cleaning products.
• #00-03-10-002D - Chemical Staining, Pitting, Corrosion and/or Spotted Appearance of Chromed Aluminum Wheels
• #04-03-10-012A - Pitting and Brake Dust on Chrome Wheels
• #06-03-10-004 - Proper Use of OEM Service Wheel Weights, Marring and/or Damage Due to Use of Non-OEM and/or Incorrect Wheel Weight Installation
• #06-03-10-010 - Information on Proper Wheel Changing Procedures and Cautions
<A href="http://gsi.xw.gm.com/si/showDoc.do?docSyskey=2037107&from=sm#ss3-2037107">What is NOT Warrantable

GM provides many different styles and finishes for our passenger car and truck wheels. You will find both steel and aluminum wheels with painted, polished or chrome finishes available. While each of these types must meet GM durability standards for road impacts and finish appearance, there are conditions that are not warrantable.
Curb Impact / Scrapes

Wheels that have been damaged through abuse are not warrantable. Finish scraping and wheel flanges that have been damaged due to curb impact are not warrantable.
Bent Wheel Flanges / Cracked Wheels

Bent wheels and cracked wheels due to road hazards are not warrantable. In many cases bent and cracked wheels result from driving on low tire air pressure or a flat tire. Low tire pressures dramatically reduce the impact protection the wheel has and lowers the threshold where damage may occur.
Finish Damage / Streaking / Pitting / Corrosion

There are many different types of finish damage possible, resulting from aggressive cleaning products, road chemicals, poor tire changing practices, or manufacturing processes. Some of these are warrantable while others indicate abuse. See the Finish Damage sections below, which give examples of the different types of specific finish concern issues you may encounter.

Warrantable Issues
Any defects in the finish, balance, or structure of the wheel resulting from improper manufacture are covered under the New Vehicle Warranty for the full time and mileage limits of that warranty. Typical covered finish issues that you may encounter are:

• Flaky or pitted chrome on the visible wheel surface indicating poor adhesion of the plating.

• Polished or machined aluminum wheels that exhibit Filiform Corrosion (chalky white lines under the clear coating) This condition is warrantable, unless it is caused by incorrect wheel weight application and use.

• Wheel center caps that exhibit similar conditions to warrantable wheel concerns.

• Thin or poor paint finish quality on painted wheels. Bubbling / Flaking of the paint.

• Paint damage incurred during stick-on wheel weight changes. (See Stick-On Wheel Weight Paint Damage or Paint Flaking/Peeling Backside of Wheel)

• Flaking or peeling on backside surface of wheel indicating poor adhesion of the plating (See Stick-On Wheel Weight Paint Damage or Paint Flaking/Peeling Backside of Wheel).

#22 ·
Latest update:
I have a meeting at Myers Cadillac with the DSM, (Randy), Marc Seguin (assistant director of service at Myers) and Bob Rintoul (Director of Serve at Myers)

I hope to get a detailed explanation as to why this incident was instigated by them and a detailed explanation as to why each of my claims were denied.

Lets see what happens.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.