2 radiators damaged in 3 months 2013 SRX
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Customer Care Representatives - Warranty or Dealership problems Discussion, 2 radiators damaged in 3 months 2013 SRX in Cadillac Customer Care - Warranty and Dealership questions; Leased a 2013 SRX and already it's gone through a 2nd Radiator. On the 1st occurrence I chucked it up ...
    Remund is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX, 2009 Escalade ESV
    Leased a 2013 SRX and already it's gone through a 2nd Radiator. On the 1st occurrence I chucked it up to just bad luck, but knew as an Engineer there was a design issue. The dealer in Mahwah NJ was not very helpful, and quoted me 125/hr and 10 hours. The total bill after negotiations ended up be around $1600... 3 Weeks later another stone finds its way to the same location and again a call from the wife that the warning lights came on again. Sure enough another tiny hole. This time I'm repairing it and documenting everything.

Knowing enough about Vehicles as a collector and enthusiast, I started in pulling the Radiator myself, about 2 hours later I had it removed, the reinstall (once the new OEM radiator arrives by FedEx) should take about 2 hours as well since I've been through the learning curve already.

The damage occurs when what I assume is a stone or road salt enters the lower rectangular air scope on the drivers side of the of the lower valance. There is a direct shot to the vulnerable thin Aluminum Radiator. My theory is that road debris from Salt Trucks gets kicked up and bounced low enough along the expressway to enter the air inlet.

Pictures are on there way...

----------

Pictures
    Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Isn't the A/C condenser covering the radiator?

On any case, the condenser/radiator are behind the grille/bumper air inlets in just about every vehicle in production, and there are cars much lower to the ground than the SRX. I don't see how your radiator is more susceptible to damage than any other.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: 2 radiators damaged in 3 months 2013 SRX

Not totally, in this case. I had a similar problem years ago in a '65 Chevelle. Solved it by installing black nylon window screening behind the open lower grille openings.

FWIW, I did the same screening thing with the STS - it has no real 'grille' as such - just a wide-open egg crate grid. The screening has no effect on coolant temperature - none. Been in there since 02/06.

CCC will assist you in getting dealership service appointments - that's about the extent of it. No recalls for the problem, incidental road damage, your nickel.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Re: 2 radiators damaged in 3 months 2013 SRX

Quote Originally Posted by Remund View Post
    Leased a 2013 SRX and already it's gone through a 2nd Radiator. On the 1st occurrence I chucked it up to just bad luck, but knew as an Engineer there was a design issue. The dealer in Mahwah NJ was not very helpful, and quoted me 125/hr and 10 hours. The total bill after negotiations ended up be around $1600... 3 Weeks later another stone finds its way to the same location and again a call from the wife that the warning lights came on again. Sure enough another tiny hole. This time I'm repairing it and documenting everything.

Knowing enough about Vehicles as a collector and enthusiast, I started in pulling the Radiator myself, about 2 hours later I had it removed, the reinstall (once the new OEM radiator arrives by FedEx) should take about 2 hours as well since I've been through the learning curve already.

The damage occurs when what I assume is a stone or road salt enters the lower rectangular air scope on the drivers side of the of the lower valance. There is a direct shot to the vulnerable thin Aluminum Radiator. My theory is that road debris from Salt Trucks gets kicked up and bounced low enough along the expressway to enter the air inlet.

Pictures are on there way...

----------

Pictures
    Hello Remund,

I apologize that you experienced this out of pocket expense with your SRX and that this occurred the second time. I will definitely document your feedback regarding the radiator and pass it along for future enhancements, and/or service announcement feedback. Thank you very much for taking the time to reach out to us and please feel free to private message me or email me at socialmedia@gm.com with “ATTN GREG” in the subject line if you would like to further discuss your concerns.

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Remund is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 SRX, 2009 Escalade ESV
    Yep this is the second radiator in 3 weeks. It seems hard to believe this is not a more common occurrence. The damaged area in both cases is in the lower driver side of the radiator which is exposed from behind the condenser. The lower black plastic spoiler has several rectangular vents down low, the outside vents are in direct line to the exposed radiator. Normally air is deflected up and so to is and debris, which loses it energy as it deflects, not in this case. The exposure is very low to the road and accepts great deal of road debris.

Funny thing is I inspected and took pictures of the Radiator on the 2014 SRX they gave me as a loaner, and it too had small dings to the horizontal cooling tubes in its radiator as well. So there is an issue... it did however have a 3/4" material wrap covering the lower portion of the exposed radiator which mine does not have... Although the damage was just above that area in both cases.. interesting none the less.

----------

I may attempt a recreation of the event by mounting a coulple of go pro cameras, one inside the grill filming the Radiator and one on the outside bumper filming the road. This would demonstrate the road debris entering vent and catch the culprit. My friend has several he uses on his corvette track car. That would be very interesting. .. I feel extremely insulted that this issue is just being dismissed by the dealer service manager and the GM customer service representatives I have spoken to. The service manager told me the 1st time if I didn't like their rate for the repair come pick it up and fix it yourself or find an "Indy"... well I'm more then qualified to repair this the second time around, and will fully document the process so others may benefit.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.