Dealer says AWD system, ABS, STeering Assist, and TC shutting on/off due to miss. ???
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Customer Care Representatives - Warranty or Dealership problems Discussion, Dealer says AWD system, ABS, STeering Assist, and TC shutting on/off due to miss. ??? in Cadillac Customer Care - Warranty and Dealership questions; Hello CC Reps. I am having an issue with my car, which is still under the extended powertrain warranty. It ...
    DaPurpleRT is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 Cadillac CTS4 (Quality & Reliability Nightmare)

Exclamation Dealer says AWD system, ABS, STeering Assist, and TC shutting on/off due to miss. ???

Hello CC Reps. I am having an issue with my car, which is still under the extended powertrain warranty. It is one of many issues I have had in the year I have owned the car, and one not fixed by a dealer visit, as all others have been. Needless to say at this point, I believe this is my first and last GM product, but I digress.

The car had a miss on cylinder 6, so on the dealership's (Walter Chevrolet in Pikeville) advice I got all the plugs changed as well as the coil pack on cylinder 6. This worked great and the car is now miss free. After this though, and in a snowstorm on an untreated road, my car began flashing "AWD OFF" and indeed I could feel it kicking out! This kept happening, with the system engaging and disengaging and the car beeping at me constantly, rattling my nerves already rattled by the weather conditions. Soon the ABS light began coming on indicating it was out, then followed by "Steering Assist off" and the Traction control disabled light. I luckily made it home safely but of course made a trip to the dealer.

They called me and told me, because the car had a miss code leftover from before the plug/coil change, the now non-existent miss was causing the car's AWD, ABS, Steering Assist, and Traction Control systems to constantly engage and disengage. Perplexed, I asked how a miss (of course I knew it was now gone, but I played along a bit) caused these systems to malfunction. Without any in-depth explanation, I was told Gm designed the car to randomly engage and disengage these systems if a miss was detected (mind you, it never did this for the weeks the car had a noticeable miss). So, stunned and distressed as my wife takes the car to leave, they try to charge me $95 because obviously with the car needing new plugs after 150 miles it wasn't covered under warranty. After some back and forth, they waived that fee but told me unless I let them change all the plugs and coil packs again, they would not help me under warranty.

Did GM really design the car to malfunction in a manner that is very dangerous to the occupants when an ghost miss occurs??? If so, I definitely have the wrong manufacturer...

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: Dealer says AWD system, ABS, STeering Assist, and TC shutting on/off due to miss.

Anyone know if this is a real feature of the car?

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Re: Dealer says AWD system, ABS, STeering Assist, and TC shutting on/off due to miss.

Thank you for your patience, DaPurpleRT! If you don't mind emailing me with the last eight of your VIN, I'm happy to investigate your next best steps with you. Please email me that information at your convenience; I'm reachable via email at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com.

Best,

Katie
    Cadillac Customer Service

E-mailed that to you a few hours ago...

Thank you for your patience, DaPurple! My business day ends at 4:30pm EST, so I am replying to my emails this morning and will be sending you a return email shortly.

Katie

Still waiting on the response.

Thanks...

Response received 5 days after promised....

GM has told me because the dealer can't pull the code my local Advance Autoparts can and because they think that a non-existent ghost engine miss (the car gives out no miss codes, only loss of communication with the ABS system) they will not help me. Great.... Last GM for me....

The attached video shows the behavior Cadillac corporate support and the local dealership says is normal and that there is NOTHING that they can see wrong with the car at all to be able to make a diagnosis....

http://youtu.be/HPDsKwltV-4

Normal for Cadillac I'm told...

Just wanted to update this thread...

Finally made an appt. with the dealership 50+ miles away... Earliest they could get me in is the end of next week (not a Caddy dealership but at this point I am thinking that is a good thing). Cadillac nearly cost me my life (or at least my car_ yet again yesterday. Ran into a snow squall out of nowhere, and thanks to no traction control, AWD, or ABS going up a hill she fishtailed both ways. Luckily I was able to correct. I was so angry that not only did the Cadillac dealership tell me nothing was wrong with the car, but Cadillac Corporate support told me that in their mind the dealership was infallible when making a diagnosis in this and refused to even open a case for me. All this for what would be probably a $100 "loss" for GM, one of the biggest companies in the world, who happily took a handout from me (the American taxpayer) and one I was happy to make... Ha, how foolish.

----------

Just wanted to update this thread...

Finally made an appt. with the dealership 50+ miles away... Earliest they could get me in is the end of next week (not a Caddy dealership but at this point I am thinking that is a good thing). Cadillac nearly cost me my life (or at least my car_ yet again yesterday. Ran into a snow squall out of nowhere, and thanks to no traction control, AWD, or ABS going up a hill she fishtailed both ways. Luckily I was able to correct. I was so angry that not only did the Cadillac dealership tell me nothing was wrong with the car, but Cadillac Corporate support told me that in their mind the dealership was infallible when making a diagnosis in this and refused to even open a case for me. All this for what would be probably a $100 "loss" for GM, one of the biggest companies in the world, who happily took a handout from me (the American taxpayer) and one I was happy to make... Ha, how foolish.

To Customer Care:

I am borrowing a car tomorrow so my wife can drive my car over 50 miles to another dealership to be checked out tomorrow. My question is, if they fix it and the issue ends up being something the first dealership missed, especially a wheel speed sensor/hub which they guaranteed were fine, what will Cadillac Customer Service do since they personally would then be deeply in the wrong, even more so than the first dealership? What will you do to recover and save your company's name and show all your customer's you really care even a slight amount about your customers.

Quote Originally Posted by DaPurpleRT View Post
    To Customer Care:

I am borrowing a car tomorrow so my wife can drive my car over 50 miles to another dealership to be checked out tomorrow. My question is, if they fix it and the issue ends up being something the first dealership missed, especially a wheel speed sensor/hub which they guaranteed were fine, what will Cadillac Customer Service do since they personally would then be deeply in the wrong, even more so than the first dealership? What will you do to recover and save your company's name and show all your customer's you really care even a slight amount about your customers.
    DaPurple, I'm so sorry to hear about your updates and would be more than happy to look into your existing case to see what options are available to you. While I unfortunately can't guarantee a particular resolution, I can definitely investigate to see the latest updates for you. Please send me an email for further assistance to the email address above.

Best,

Katie

The other dealership said they believe it to be an electrical issue but figure at least 3 hours to even begin to track down the issue... They, like the other 2 GM dealers told me this is common on the newer Cadillacs - There choice of words were that they "Keep them busy", "These new Cadillacs aren't what people think", and "They wouldn't own one". Now, the fact I've got this from 3 different dealerships and I'm told Corp. stands behind the dealers (which thus far has proven sadly true) I am getting the message to RUN, RUN far away!

I'll let you know what it ends up being next week (another 50 miles each way on my dime, for 2 cars since I don't want to pay for a rental and can't wait all day), but they told me it could be dozens of things on these cars...

I test drove a 4MATIC Mercedes C300 this past weekend and was not impressed. I feel like I want to keep/love my CTS so badly but with no support/belief from Cadillac I just can't do it. I want to be a "Cadillac guy" and my wife wanted a new Cadillac.

I feel like I am begging to be able to like this car and trust this company more than I ever have any other company, but I have gotten nothing at every battle I have been forced to fight.

That is the truest shame I can think of. I will take the car in tomorrow so it can be looked at, at a price of $80 an hour, on a car that apparently has such a myriad of things that put the car in an unsafe limp mode, it could take hours on hours to dsicover the issue, then add on parts and labor for the fix...

I have, too, never been this distraught over any product or service outcome...

wrtxts is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 Cadillac XTS Platinum
    I'm unclear as to your issue with Cadillac. Is it because they can not diagnose an issue with your car or that the issue diagnosed is not covered by the powertrain warranty? I know how frustrating this must be, but if it is a warranted item, hang in there. I know from experience that Cadillac stands behind their products. They have replaced two of my vehicles and I would never buy anything other than a Cadillac simply because of how the problems I did encounter with both were resolved.

wrx, It is this issue plus another huge issue I had when it was first purchased where I was treated very, very poorly.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.