2005 SRX Timing Chain
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Customer Care Representatives - Warranty or Dealership problems Discussion, 2005 SRX Timing Chain in Cadillac Customer Care - Warranty and Dealership questions; ...
    zapiecsw is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

2005 SRX Timing Chain

Well the inevitable is finally here. After 6 years of changing the oil every 3 - 4k miles with Mobile 1 our 2005 SRX 3.6 V6 finally needs new timing chains at 59,500 miles. Itís been like a time bomb ever since I started reading about the defective timing chains 3 or so years ago on this site. Now that Iím out of warranty the repair is going be around $2,000.

Personally I believe this Cadillac is the BEST Cadillac ever produced and extremely fun to drive, with the exception of the faulty timing chains, creaking glass panel and those damn front turn signal bulbs. I have been, as well as my family, loyal GM (mostly Cadillac) customers since the early 70s. We even remained loyal throughout the mid 80s with the 4.1 liter fiasco. In addition, Iíve persuaded 3 friends over the last 18 months to give GM another chance and they ended up buying new Cadillacs.

Bottom line, Iíve been around long enough to know that timing chains do not go bad under 100,000 miles on an engine that is well maintained. I feel that GM should provide us with some relief/assistance with the repair since the defect is a well recognized throughout industry. Providing assistance here would go a long way with us and most important convince my wife that we should give GM another chance with a new CTS.

Regards,
    Steve
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Re: 2005 SRX Timing Chain

Hello Steve,

We want to first thank you for your continued enthusiasm for Cadillac (as well as other GM brands, as alluded to in your post). We'd be happy to look into this with you if you haven't already opened a case with Customer Service. Please send us a private message here on the forum with the following information: your name, mailing address and phone number(s) (to keep our database up to date), the last 8 digits of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your involved dealership.

Kind regards,
    Sarah (Assisting Katie)
    Cadillac Customer Service

Hi Sarah,

Thank you for getting back to me. The following is the information you requested:

info private messaged to Cadillac Cust Svc -moderator

I'm actually dropping the car off this evening for service so the car will be there tomorrow. Thanks again for looking into this and anything that you can do would be very much appreciated.

Best regards,
    Steve

Hi Steve,

Thank you very much for providing us with that information! As you see, a moderator kindly removed your personal information from this public thread and sent that information via PM to us. So, we have a record of your information on file and are happy to continue with your service request.

When you get the chance, would you mind emailing me at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com? Then we can get into further details, etc.

Best,

Katie

Saife is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I started reading about the defective timing chains 3 or so years ago on this site.This site is so impressive in all other websites.As you see a moderator information from this public thread and sent that creaking glass panel and those damn front turn signal bulbs.

Vipergt7 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 SRX
    This is all very interesting. My check engine lite just came on, had the code read, and it may be the timing chain going bad. Code was P0008, Engine System Performance Bank 1. Car has 59,500 miles. Running fine for the moment. Taking in to dealer today. Not very happy about this.

Very sorry to hear that, Vipergt7! If you'd like any assistance following up with your dealership (or setting up an official case, as Sarah explained above), please don't hesitate to email me anytime at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com.

Best,

Katie

Katie, I'm still waiting for you to provide me with assistance! Please let me know if there is anything GM can do for a loyal GM customer.

Steve

Steve, I am sorry to hear you're still waiting for assistance! Have you had the opportunity to email me as of yet? I ask because my records show that I have responded to all of my incoming emails at this time; so if you have emailed me since Wednesday I have not received it, then I greatly apologize for the confusion. (I double checked to make sure I provided the correct email address above, and it is indeed correct.) I'm definitely willing to explore your next steps with you!

Best,

Katie

Yes. I've replied to you e-mail box. We actually had a few e-mails back in forth. The last I heard was that you would get back to me in a few days. I forward to you your last e-mail to me. Thanks

Note: I had the chains replaced about a month ago. I thought your no response was no assistance.

I will be sure to check my email for your updates, zapiecsw! I apologize for not getting back to you sooner and will be sure to check my SPAM filter to make sure nothing was stuck there.

Best,

Katie

Still waiting

Still waiting. While I have been waiting I had chains replaced. When I questioned the dealership service rep about the industry wide 3.6 liter timing chain problem he denied ever knowing anything about it and simply referred me to the owners manual for a number to call if I had a complaint. He said "why do you think that gm would provide assistance on a 7 year old car out of warranty". A few weeks later I spoke to another service rep (the one I normally work with) and he admitted to the known problem and frankly said that if I had dealt with him he would have had it covered. Since the work was already done and gm coming down hard on the dealership recently for covering 2004 & 2005 models he would not be able to get assistance. He did try through.

It's not so much the 2200 bill for the new chains its being treated like a second rate customer for keeping the car 7 years. We purchased a new Infiniti (first non gm car ever) a few weeks ago and like it, however it's not a Cadillac. Still have the srx for now until I decide what to replace it with. Car still looks and drives like new and would keep it another year but my fear is that the chains will stretch again and I'll be faced with another large and unnecessary expense.

jcd7007 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 SRX

I own a 2005 Cadillac SRX which has been a WONDERFUL car and my first Cadillac ever! My car now has just under 62,000 miles and is 8 years old. I have 1 major complaint about the need for a timing chain on this car. While a friend made mention of how "noisy" the engine had become, I frankly did not hear it running from inside the car with the windows up and music playing. Finally, when I did have need to take the car to the dealer, I was informed that the timing chain repair would be about $2,500 to $3,000 dollars. I've owned many cars in my life and always buy them new. In my 50 years of buying cars, I have NEVER had to have a timing chain replaced! My car is serviced regularly and I use only Mobil 1 oil so I don't understand why Cadillac has not told everyone that they have extended their warranty to cover the replacement of timing chains on engines that are requiring it? I mean, with such low miles......I think my visit to the dealership was when the car was about 6 years old and has just under 50,000 miles! Will Cadillac do anything for me? I previously had a Mercedes before buying my first Cadillac. No timing chain problems with my Mercedes or any other vehicles like that over my lifetime! I should have contacted Cadillac earlier but with the company going through bankruptcy, I thought it was out of the question to think they might actually "step-up" and do the right thing. After Obama got done stripping the company of any shareholder equity, I thought you had to be a UAW member to get any decent treatment. Am I asking for too much or how can I be convinced to continue to be a Cadillac customer? Thanks.

dkozloski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

Judging by the plethora of similar complaints and the lack of response by Cadillac management I would say you are SOL.
    Don't mess with Binky Bear!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.