Air escaping from rim
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac Customer Care Representatives - Warranty or Dealership problems Discussion, Air escaping from rim in Cadillac Customer Care - Warranty and Dealership questions; This was discussed on a another thread and I thought discount tires had fixed the problem but it still remains ...
    bigtone1013 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 Escalade

Air escaping from rim

This was discussed on a another thread and I thought discount tires had fixed the problem but it still remains the air is slowing leaking out of my right front rim I was told that it was corroding, I can't afford another rim is there something that Cadillac can do.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Re: Air escaping from rim

I'm very sorry to hear this and would be happy to look into the matter for you. Have you been back to a Cadillac dealer for service after you noticed the leaking was still occurring? Please send me a private message with details on your situation and I will see what options are available.

Best,

Katie
    Cadillac Customer Service

cardio-doc is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 DTS Performance

not sure if I'm allowed to answer in this forum, but I would like to say that I am in the OEM wheel business and am qualified to answer.

Pretty-much, ALL chrome wheels will corrode at the bead, over time. And if your vehicle is a 2007 then it is definitely in the time frame that this would happen. The reason for this corrosion, is that many/most people add air to their tires from gas stations or other compressors that do not trap/evacuate condensation. As-such, moisture becomes trapped in the mounted wheel and corrodes. However, this situation is SO common, and generally-accepted, that procedures and products are in place, just to deal with this. The tire is removed, and the afflicted area is cleaned with a wire brush. Bead sealer is applied, and this properly seals the leak. Happens all the time, everyday.

A new wheel is not needed, just a common address of the matter.

Fret not!
    JimmyH and JimmyH like this.

Quote Originally Posted by cardio-doc View Post
    not sure if I'm allowed to answer in this forum, but I would like to say that I am in the OEM wheel business and am qualified to answer.

Pretty-much, ALL chrome wheels will corrode at the bead, over time. And if your vehicle is a 2007 then it is definitely in the time frame that this would happen. The reason for this corrosion, is that many/most people add air to their tires from gas stations or other compressors that do not trap/evacuate condensation. As-such, moisture becomes trapped in the mounted wheel and corrodes. However, this situation is SO common, and generally-accepted, that procedures and products are in place, just to deal with this. The tire is removed, and the afflicted area is cleaned with a wire brush. Bead sealer is applied, and this properly seals the leak. Happens all the time, everyday.

A new wheel is not needed, just a common address of the matter.

Fret not!
    I think I read that bead sealer really damages the chrome and where should I get air. Also is there a specific kind of sealer that should be used

cardio-doc is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 DTS Performance

Well, the simple fact, is that there is no such thing as a truly "all-chrome" wheel. Chrome is very brittle and would not tolerate the rigors of use on a car. Most all modern 'chrome' wheels are actually aluminum wheels, with a chrome finish. However chrome will not bond with aluminum. In-fact, it takes 4 different layers to ultimately "chrome" an aluminum wheel, including layers of zinc and nickel.

Not really sure what you're saying about bead-sealer "damaging the chrome". No one really cares what the inside of a wheel (part not visible when a tire is mounted) really looks like when a tire is mounted. But again, this is a very common occurrence, just have the matter properly addressed which includes scrubbing the bead with a wire brush and using bead-sealer to "seal" the tire to the wheel.

You WILL eventually have this problem again even with a new wheel, unless you are vigilant one where/how air is added to your tires.

Where to get air? Well, a venue that has air lines that run vertically up a wall so that the moisture in the lines does not get expelled. Also they should have some form of device that capture moisture. Lastly, they should drain their compressor, daily. See where this is going? Unless you actually work at the venue, or are extremely vigilant, you will fail to adhere to this and some moisture will become trapped inside.

This problem (generally) does not occur with regular aluminum (non chrome finish) wheels, as aluminum does not rust. So your option is to change your wheels to non-chrome. Definitely not a necessary change IMO.

I'd be very surprised if Cadillac buys you a new wheel. Especially on a 2007 model-year vehicle. But frankly, it isn't necessary.

If you aren't getting satisfaction from your local dealer, just find a high-end custom-wheel shop in your area and they will address the matter proper.

I hope I have helped.

~Howard
    JimmyH and JimmyH like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac Cust Svc View Post
    I'm very sorry to hear this and would be happy to look into the matter for you. Have you been back to a Cadillac dealer for service after you noticed the leaking was still occurring? Please send me a private message with details on your situation and I will see what options are available.

Best,

Katie
    I sent the message

At cardio-doc I was thinking the same thing about the inside of the rim I dont really care if it messes up the inside chrome if there's any there to begin with, I was just repeating what someone else in the forum said. Thanks for the info. I'm going to see what Cadillac says they might surprise me and you

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

Excellent posts, Howard. Thanks for your input!

I think one way to prevent moisture is to use an air compressor that has no tank. I know folks that use tank-less compressors for this reason. Most cars today are getting rid of spare wheels and including these types of compressors in their place.

My shop has two very large compressor vessels that power alot of our equipment. We drain them every day, have two aftercoolers, moisture filters, and we still have moisture in our lines.

dkozloski is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyH View Post
    Excellent posts, Howard. Thanks for your input!

I think one way to prevent moisture is to use an air compressor that has no tank. I know folks that use tank-less compressors for this reason. Most cars today are getting rid of spare wheels and including these types of compressors in their place.

My shop has two very large compressor vessels that power alot of our equipment. We drain them every day, have two aftercoolers, moisture filters, and we still have moisture in our lines.
    You need a refrigerating air dryer. They cool the compressed air below any anticipated dew point and then cycle the output between two dryers that swap back and forth between drying the air and recharging the desiccant. The result is output air with a -40F dewpoint.
    Don't mess with Binky Bear!

I am pretty sure that's what an aftercooler is for. The problem is our pipes are old, and riddled with leaks. In some areas we get dry air. In others we get spittle.

Just left cadillac about the rim and they replaced it free of charge. It's my opinion and I could be wrong but I think it makes all the difference that Cadillac customer service calls for me, I've taken my escalade in twice and haven't had to go in my pocket yet. Thanks Katie

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

No problem! Glad to be of assistance and very glad your rim was replaced!

Have a great weekend,

Katie

jdollarthegreat is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Air is no good, i have nitrogen in my Vogues

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    ......Air is just fine, it's been used in tires for almost a century now.

I have 78% Nitrogen in my tires.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.