2012 SRX AWD Spare Tire Order Constraint
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Customer Care Representatives - Warranty or Dealership problems Discussion, 2012 SRX AWD Spare Tire Order Constraint in Cadillac Customer Care - Warranty and Dealership questions; Why is the 2012 SRX Compact Spare Tire option constrained on AWD? The Donlen site notes an engineering issue, yet ...
    tahassett is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 DTS, 2012 SRX

2012 SRX AWD Spare Tire Order Constraint

Why is the 2012 SRX Compact Spare Tire option constrained on AWD? The Donlen site notes an engineering issue, yet early arrivals at my local dearlership do have the option and the compact spare tire. However I did not notice any jack or lug wrench. I have a SRX AWD on order and want a spare tire. I drive in areas without cell/OnStar coverage. The standard storage/spare well will not accommodate a spare if I were to get one after delivery. What gives? How long to resolve issue? Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Re: 2012 SRX AWD Spare Tire Order Constraint

As far as I show the AWD and FWD 2012 SRX have the spare tire available to order on all trims. This option is not standard on any trims but it is not drivetrain specific. You may want to clarify the options availability with your dealer to make sure everything is kosher when it comes time to pick up the vehicle. I hope that helps and if you need more information let me know.

Jeff Morris, Cadillac Customer Service

Dealer tells me that the Spare Tire is constrained for AWD only, order will not process. Donlen production status info also indicates that is not available now.
    What is the problem? Any time frame for the consraint to be lifted?

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

I would just order the car without the spare tire, and get the spare tire from the parts department.

RippyPartsDept is online now Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

the spare tire kit for the 2012 SRX is the same part for all versions
    (at least that's what my parts catalog says, but Elizabeth's info seems to line up with what I'm seeing)

so here's the part info on the 'kit'

$545.03 - list price
    $401.96 - forum discount

with freight you'll be pretty close to the list price (there's not much markup in these for me to discount)

i do have one in stock, but i'll understand if you get if locally from your selling dealer

HTH
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

As far as I know you still can not order an SRX AWD with a spare tire. I know I can order the spare tire kit for my new SRX, but I want to know why the spare tire is not available. Is it an engineering/production issue or is it a mass issue? Am I at risk if I have the GM SRX sapre tire kit installed by my dealer?

It's probably because the AWD system uses limited slip differentials. It is possible to cause damage to the clutches in a limited slip differential if you run with a much smaller diameter tire on one side.

or there's no room in the floorpan design because of the rear axle/diff
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Welcome to the forum! If you would send me your VIN number I can forward this question on and see if I get any answers.
    Breanne
    Cadillac Customer Service

i just looked at a FWD SRX and it doesn't appear that the RWD parts (Diff, axles, etc) would get in the way of the spare or that the floorpan would be different

there's got to be something else going on

hopefully Breanne can figure it out for you - I don't have much info on the sales side of things

I almost promise you, it's because of LSD. You can get a Camaro LT, auto (which does not have limited slip) with a spare from the factory. You cannot get a Camaro LT manual, or Camaro SS (all of which have LSD) from the factory with a spare.

yeah that makes the most sense to me

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.