Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Can't align new Vsport

10K views 40 replies 20 participants last post by  Glamisfan 
#1 · (Edited)
Got my brand new 2014 Vsport on Friday and noticed it pulls to the right, changes lanes in 10 seconds if I release steering wheel in straight freeway. Back to dealer on Saturday and they try to align, but tell me they don't have the new software.
No change. I tell service Msnager, and he says he will call me when the software is in. After three weeks I start calling dealer, Cadilac customer assistance and Complain in the Cadi survey. This HAS TO EAT TIRES, and Vsport wears P-Zeros.
Finally, the software is in, and they try again to align. I have a nice piece of paper showing perfect alignment specs.
No improvement. This car pulls to the right, and will change lanes in 10 seconds.
Dealer tells me they have no answer, and I'm not the only Vsport owner with this problem.
Anyone else have this, or an answer?

#2 ·
I thought my car was just slightly out of alignment and took it in. They said it checked out fine, and that this car is more sensitive to the crown of the road. I knew it was sensitive to the crown of the road, like most cars with wide tires, but the Vsport is more sensitive than the other performance sedans I have driven. I just think it doesn't track very well.

I will also say that I felt like the slight pull was lessened after the service visit. Maybe it was mental.

#4 ·
My experience is on flat multi lane Houston freeways and I45 between Houston & Dallas.
Wife's Acura TL , my Toyota Tacoma and former FX 35 all drive straight. Vsport distinctly goes right everywhere, and changes lanes to the right in 8-10 seconds. My whole life with cars, that is out of alignment, especially noting the balanced tire pressure on the monitor. Otherwise, it is a super ride.

#5 ·
sounds like bad tires. Even though the tires might balance, ive seen balanced tires still cause a car to pull right or left. Im assuming vsport is staggered so you probably cant swap locations, but maybe see if the dealership will try a different set of wheels and tires and see what it does.

#8 ·
Its not an issue. I feel more in tune to the road with the type of response your speaking of from the Vsport. The steering on this car is designed to give you a more aggressive sport feel which why all the top reviews on the car bragg about how well responsive the vsport is. on top of that you got that fat pzero on the front. Get you a non vsport if you want that plush feel, otherwise grip that wheel and control the V!

#9 ·
I had this happen before, new tires and car pulled right. The wider the tire he harder to steer. Never thought it was tires so off for alignment but still pulled right. Back to dealer, they swapped tires front to rear, no more problem. This might be a inherent condition caused by the tires. If tires are Goodyear, good luck. I have had worst experience with GY tires. My Denali (LS2) came with them and they had to be replaced before 10,000 miles, could not be balanced to remove vibrations at 60mg. Dealer swapped to BS from another truck on lot and no more problems so they order m 4 new BS Duelers.

#13 ·
Mine started quiet and got progressively louder. It drove straight but the tire noise was getting worse. I read on here that others were having the same issue and their alignment was off. I took mine in last week and they said it was WAY out alignment. I'll still have tire noise because of the uneven wear of the tires but it's better already.

#14 ·
My VSport has 2600 miles on it now, when it was new I had no issues and then recently it pulled either way - I started looking at my air pressure and it was down 2-3 psi in all of the tires cold, once I brought it up to 32 psi for the fronts I had no issue - I am not suggestion that others have an air pressure issue, just that my car really acted strange when cold pressure was low.....

#15 ·
I was in denial at first thinking my car was pulling or following the crowns in the road until I noticed around 8000 miles my front tires was cuping on the outside "up down up down" Looked like a wave effect. I took it in and they said the alignment was off. It feels much better now.

#16 ·
Just to follow up to this.... My vsport pulled hard to the right almost immediately after I bought it. I had 2 alignments done at my local dealer and both times nothing changed. They showed me papers on what acceptable specs are, and my car was within that spec, but I was having to hold the wheel hard to one side all of the time in order to stay correctly on the road.

After a few more frustrated visits, the GM tech consulted with an "Engineer" and determined that my Steering Gear (Entire Rack/Motor assy) needed to be replaced.

Once this was replaced..... my alignment was able to be performed, but the wheel has been quite a bit harder to turn since the new rack was installed..... So I guess I take the good with the bad?

#18 · (Edited)
I have the same problem with my car, 2014 1 year old with 10K miles on it. Already been to the dealer once for an alignment with no significant change. Car wants to pull/drift slightly left most of the time. Gets worse on the highway, I guess I'll try another dealer and see if I have any better luck. I've owned a 2010 ZR1 with much wider tires than this car and the Corvette tracked straight. Getting to be annoying, especially on the highway.!

#22 ·
Hey Dicecal,

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing a pull when driving your car. I understand how annoying this issue can be and would like to look further into this for you. I see that you plan on visiting another dealership for a second opinion and would be happy to contact them on your behalf about your alignment concern. If you're interested, please private message me your VIN, full name, contact info, and the dealership you plan to work with.

Best,
Vivian K.
Cadillac Customer Care

#20 ·
I had funny tire wear, so I asked for it to be aligned while it was in for an oil change.

Now it pulls to the left, regardless of which lane you're in (so it's not road crown). Back it goes ...

Finding someone who actually knows how to do alignments these days is tough. Mostly they're just alignement machine operators. Just being in the "green" according to the alignment machine is rarely good enough.

#25 ·
I too have noticed that the car is very sensitive to the crowns in the road. I just bought a leftover 2014 Vsport that had about 2,000 miles on it and at first I thought it was pulling one way and maybe needed an alignment. After driving it for a week, I see that it is actually pulling toward the direction that the road is angled. I can't recall ever driving a car that pulled so much on what seems like a pretty small angle in the road. I am glad I found this thread as I thought I might be imagining things. I may still take it in for an alignment just to make sure everything is OK and see if it gets any better.

#26 ·
Had an Audi Q5 before the 2015 VSport and the Q5 had the worst alignment I've ever experienced. Audi kept saying that it was just the naturally over-assisted electric steering characteristic of the Q5. I took that thing in multiple times for alignment and they never really did get it "right"....although they insisted that it was within specs. It was like steering a wet noodle most of the time.

How's my Vsport alignment? Freaking perfect! Yes the P-Zeros really want to follow the road contours...but she's definitely tracking straight and true with fantastic feel....even though the VSport also has electric assist steering (like almost all new cars these days), it still has amazing steering feel/weight....the reviews have all raved about the VSport's steering feel and now I can really appreciate what they're raving about.

Hope that anyone with their steering out of whack gets things sorted.

#30 ·
CTSVsport said:
Turns out it was a ball joint, which they had to order, so I'm stuck with an SRX for the holiday weekend instead of my hot rod :( This Cadillac has already spent more time in the shop than my Suzuki did in the four years I had it.
How many miles do you have on it? I just don't see how a ball joint could be worn already. Unless it's a made in China part?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.