Vsport Review
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
Cadillac CTS V-Sport Discussion, Vsport Review in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; I dropped off the Vagon for some repair work and they gave me a Vsport as my courtesy car. It's ...
    spearfish25 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V Wagon, Glacier Blue, Red Brembos, SB wheels

Vsport Review

I dropped off the Vagon for some repair work and they gave me a Vsport as my courtesy car. It's something special they save for V owners. So after two days of driving it, I've formed some conclusions for anyone who is wondering about the car.

First the good...
    1) Interior: The interior fit and finish is a step up from my 2013 V. No more creaking, rattling, plastic that flexes, etc. Also, the interior noise isolation from wind noise and road noise is a step forward too. It's really a tomb inside even when doing 80mph on the highway. The improvement in ride and sound isolation was enough to disorient me and I found I was doing 70mph on side streets since it felt and sounded like I was doing 45mph.

2) Engine: This TT V6 can move. There is minimal turbo lag and it's a darn quick car. I found the sound to be variably pleasing. At first start, I thought it was great. Deep and throaty and even easier to hear than my stock Vagon exhaust. So then I rolled the window down and actually heard the exhaust less. I suspect Cadillac is piping sound through the stereo like the other brands now. By the second day though, I was longing for my V8 rumble again as the V6 was more raspy sounding and wearing on me.

3) Transmission: The 8 speed auto is nice and fuel economy was in the 20mpg range on the highway. Track mode holds gears on decel where touring and sport upshift. The car will stay in your mode of choice which is nice (comp mode for the MRC defaults back to touring still). Shifts are pretty quick and crisp as well and I like the paddles.

4) Driving dynamics: This car is a leap forward in handling over the V. Turn-in is crisp and sharp where my V feels like I'm steering a much larger, heavier car. I popped the hood to have a look at the engine, and Cadillac has packaged the entire V6 behind the front axle. Audi, take note.

The bad...
    1) The price is $10,000 above where it should be. Yes it's quick. Yes it's nicer than the previous generation. But if this is a BMW 5 series competitor, it's overpriced to be compared to a 550i. This is mainly due to the next point...

2) Styling: The front end is sharp. The rear end is a disaster. The more I look at the car, the less I like it. The front end is low and aggressive where the rear is elevated and looks like an elderly driver's luxobarge. The door lines are low but then the roofline pops up high which seems out of place to me. I did like the gunmetal wheels but 18s looked too small. The interior is bland and lacks features that stir the soul and evoke a 'woooow'. It's black on black and leather all around. Where are the microfiber suede inserts, contrasting colors, etc? There is some wood but it's consumed by the vortex of black leather. And the matte 'carbon' decals on the B pillars? Not good, Cadillac.

For ~$70,000 I would much rather have a lower-end Tesla model. I truly hope the V3 gets some serious styling characteristics to improve the rear end and enhance the interior textures and awe factor. If the price of the V3 touches $90K, they are going to have problems selling them if it's anything like the Vsport.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Trapspeed is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V
    Good write-up. Thanks.

baabootoo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Blue/Titanium 2009 V Auto

Re: Vsport Review

Yes nice.

vfaninva is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Prev '09 V sedan, Current 2013 Thunder Gray V Coupe
    Great review. Overall it sounds like a positive experience. Of course the V Sport is no replacement for a real V but still it's no slouch!
    You got me thinking about asking for a test drive in one when my V goes in for maintenance next month.

SoCalCTSV is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTSV Coupe, 1966 Chevelle
    Well written and honest.

RapidRob is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V Black/Black, manual

Excellent write-up!

09SRT8 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V

Good write up, I agree.

spearfish25 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V Wagon, Glacier Blue, Red Brembos, SB wheels

Cadillac is definitely moving in the right direction with their fit and finish. My concern is that they're moving their price upscale faster than the car now. Their 'comeback' was offering great luxury and performance at bargain prices. Start charging what the competition does and now the rest of the package has to be spot-on as well. The Vsport is good, but I don't see many people looking at the new Vsport and a new BMW 550i and picking the Cadillac.

CavemanB52 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTSV coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by spearfish25 View Post
    Cadillac is definitely moving in the right direction with their fit and finish. My concern is that they're moving their price upscale faster than the car now. Their 'comeback' was offering great luxury and performance at bargain prices. Start charging what the competition does and now the rest of the package has to be spot-on as well. The Vsport is good, but I don't see many people looking at the new Vsport and a new BMW 550i and picking the Cadillac.
    The V-Sport out performs the 550i. So why not? I'd pick the V sport over the BMW550i MB Eclass and the Lexus F-sport.

gohawks63 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by CavemanB52
    The V-Sport out performs the 550i. So why not? I'd pick the V sport over the BMW550i MB Eclass and the Lexus F-sport.
    I'm the opposite. I actually like the look of all of those others a bit better than the new CTS.

BEarle is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2010 Cadillac Escalade
    I have a feeling tho the actually new V will be totally different with the revised hood and facias I mean look at our Vs compared to the standard CTSs? They look like completely different cars! I think the new Vs rear will looks totally different from the standard CTS once it gets the aggressive treatment done

StoneCrab is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by CavemanB52 View Post
    I shopped the E550 and 550i and chose the Vsport premium. My Vsport had a $72k MSRP but the sale price was right around $63k after discounts and incentives. That pricing is a pretty good value for the features and performance compared to MB or BMW. Cadillac also has very competitive lease terms right now (I think they are trying to match value leasing terms from MB/BMW).

Cadillac has to work hard to get people past the MSRP though. People see a $70k+ CTS and walk away, not knowing that they can get it for substantially less and with great lease terms. People looking at a new E550 or 550i expect the sticker to be $70k, but not Cadillac, not yet anyway.

Also, I agree with the OP's review. I had a V2 sedan new in 09 that I drove a couple years. The new Vsport handles better, more nimble, feels lighter. The TT V6 is quick, but not like a V2. I miss the V8 sound and manual trans. I drive a lot of miles and really like the 26MPG highway. The interior is very nice with quality materials everywhere. The technology is also very good. I actually like CUE now that I've learned how to use it. My biggest complaints are all nit-picky minor things, like the sunroof is noisy when opened at speed, the Pzeros are beginning to be noisy now with some miles on them (they are very sticky though), the exhaust tips continually show some soot, etc. In 5000 miles so far, mechanically the only issues I've had are a few odd transient clunks or noises that seem to come and go when parking - nothing alarming although I'll mention them when in for service next.

RaVeNous is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Coupe

I don't agree that the Vsport handles better than the V2. Its different and about the same. It doesn't feel more planted. I test drove one as well. If it handled better, it would be performing better on the track and on paper, and it doesn't. It not particularly far behind though until you get up to higher speed and sheer power.

The new CTS is heads above, way above the last gen in base trim, but the V is such a huge step all around than the base model..... It does feel lighter, and it does feel "tighter" however, ever brand new car does, and I've never drive a V2 fresh off the show room floor to compare. I would agree it seemed more quiet in the vport in the cabin. Less road noise, wind noise; however, tires play a huge role in this, as does several factors other than just sound insulation, though my guess is the newer car is most likely a step above.

I really haven't been that impressed with the new interiors as I thought I would be. They do use nicer materials. I spent a week in an XTS with a premium trim interior, and it had black plastic bits, etc that the previous cars get ripped about. It makes better use of some real metal, and the materials are more soft, authetic feeling. From a style standpoint some of it I like better, but its lost its sporty pilot feel that I like about the previous gen. I do like the cue, I don't think its that bad. Screen placement and design sucks in the XTS. I didn't spend enough time in the CTSVsport to really notice if the interior, cue, bits are better than the XTS. It probably is. Some of the interior trim packages for the Vsport I've seen, red leather, carbon fiber, looks pretty hot in the pictures.

I've argued many times about the MSRP. The vsport isn't worth $70,000. I don't care if its car of the year, and I don't care if its faster than a 550i. Its going to depreciate faster, its not going to have the flash, its not going to have the status of a Benz, BMW, or Audi, and the new Audi are considerably better looking. At $55,000-60,000 the vsport would have been an absolute steal. At $70,000+ there is a lot other cars to look at...I don't know what Cadillac has to do, in order to demand that premium. Maybe if the vsport really was about as fast as a V2, and offered a bit more for about the same price, but its not really packaged better than a BMW, and it doesn't look at good either. I could be wrong, there is no need to layout a list of features vs. price between the new CTS and its competators. I understand its right in there as far as what it offers.

I still believe Cadillac needs to offer more for just a tad less to compete with the status of high end luxury cars.

MEDISIN is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Sedan

Quote Originally Posted by RaVeNous View Post
    I still believe Cadillac needs to offer more for just a tad less to compete with the status of high end luxury cars.
    Current average transaction price (ATP) in my area according to Trucar.com when similarly equipped.

CTS Vsport: MSRP $69,995; ATP $66,407
    550i Msport: MSRP $83,025; ATP $75,896
    E550 Sport: MSRP $78,665; ATP $71,708
    A6 S-line: MSRP $70,520; ATP $66,471
    S6 Prem: MSRP $91,740: ATP $88,550
    XF V8SC: MSRP $77,305; ATP $72,999

I threw the S6 in since most cars in this segment split the difference between the A6 and S6. When similarly equipped the Vsport costs less than all of its competitors and would likely outperform them on a track. The A6 comes closest in price but fails in performance. The S6 would likely outperform but at a $22,000 premium.
    gohawks63 likes this.

gohawks63 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by RaVeNous
    I don't agree that the Vsport handles better than the V2. Its different and about the same. It doesn't feel more planted. I test drove one as well. If it handled better, it would be performing better on the track and on paper, and it doesn't. It not particularly far behind though until you get up to higher speed and sheer power. The new CTS is heads above, way above the last gen in base trim, but the V is such a huge step all around than the base model..... It does feel lighter, and it does feel "tighter" however, ever brand new car does, and I've never drive a V2 fresh off the show room floor to compare. I would agree it seemed more quiet in the vport in the cabin. Less road noise, wind noise; however, tires play a huge role in this, as does several factors other than just sound insulation, though my guess is the newer car is most likely a step above. I really haven't been that impressed with the new interiors as I thought I would be. They do use nicer materials. I spent a week in an XTS with a premium trim interior, and it had black plastic bits, etc that the previous cars get ripped about. It makes better use of some real metal, and the materials are more soft, authetic feeling. From a style standpoint some of it I like better, but its lost its sporty pilot feel that I like about the previous gen. I do like the cue, I don't think its that bad. Screen placement and design sucks in the XTS. I didn't spend enough time in the CTSVsport to really notice if the interior, cue, bits are better than the XTS. It probably is. Some of the interior trim packages for the Vsport I've seen, red leather, carbon fiber, looks pretty hot in the pictures. I've argued many times about the MSRP. The vsport isn't worth $70,000. I don't care if its car of the year, and I don't care if its faster than a 550i. Its going to depreciate faster, its not going to have the flash, its not going to have the status of a Benz, BMW, or Audi, and the new Audi are considerably better looking. At $55,000-60,000 the vsport would have been an absolute steal. At $70,000+ there is a lot other cars to look at...I don't know what Cadillac has to do, in order to demand that premium. Maybe if the vsport really was about as fast as a V2, and offered a bit more for about the same price, but its not really packaged better than a BMW, and it doesn't look at good either. I could be wrong, there is no need to layout a list of features vs. price between the new CTS and its competators. I understand its right in there as far as what it offers. I still believe Cadillac needs to offer more for just a tad less to compete with the status of high end luxury cars.
    ^^^^ This!!!!!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.