Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Wind buffet (picky general discussion)

2K views 31 replies 17 participants last post by  thebigjimsho 
#1 ·
OK, I absolutely love my V except for 2 things: wheel hop, and wind buffet (I think this is the term for what I am talking about).

These are my discoveries:

--having just the drivers side front window down creates HUGE wind travel into the car from the left.

--having both drivers side windows down lessens the severity.

--having any window down creates a draft that will rip ANY loose papers and whisk them away and out of the window. This same draft will also take things out of the center console....:bomb:

--having one rear window down (and nothing else open) creates a wierd air pressure feel

--then, on top of all this the sunroof has a plastic deflector that raises up to create more airflow through the car.

These are my findings, just curious, does it irk anyone else? At all?:banghead:

See less See more
#2 ·
If it's any consulation, the SRT-8 is EXACTLY the same with wind buffeting. Wheel hop?, not so much.

#23 · (Edited)
Driver's side front all the way down + rears 1/4 down is the best combo I've found. (sunroof closed)
That's the ticket. Thanks Tony! Works like a charm! Thought I tried damn near every combination, but missed this one. It's like some kinda voodoo black magic ish goin on here. Didn't think it was possible. But by golly I think he's got it. Kudos.

All you have to do is match the front and rear windows. If you put the fronts down halfway, do the backs the same. Works with any car I've been in...
That's what I've been doin, but still crazy buffeting. The above works wonders, though. Everyone go outside and try it out. You will be amazed.

#6 ·
Yeah, this car has crazy wind buffeting when you open the windows. So I either crack the windows a smidgeon (about a 1/4 like LV V) and tilt the sunroof or just open em all the way and deal with the fracken turbine-in-the-cabin effect. Don't think I've tried the driver's side all the way down with rears 1/4 down combo, yet. Try that tonight/tomorrow.

#8 ·
I have a similar problem with FAT ELDO, all of my shiit keeps blowing away and it's hard to hear Johnny Cash on the 8 track when I have the top down.

#10 ·
My 49 Chevy did the same thing. I guess GM has not learned yet.

Some good news with all of this:

1. When you open the driver's window the wind does not enter from the right.

2. Rollling any window down helps some of get rid of clutter in car.

3. Whitney and Warchewsky (sp??) used to sell small plastic vent shields that would eliminate some of the buffetting. They made them for many cars other than the 49 Chevy. You might want to do a search for these product.

LOL

#11 · (Edited)
When I have the driver's window cracked about 5/32", the passenger front window exactly halfway down, the right rear window a skosh lower than 3/8 of its travel down, and the left rear window going down (in motion) while going exactly 53.3 mph up a slight grade toward the northwest when the wind is coming out of the southwest at 11 mph with the sunroof cracked open in the rear, I get a tickle in my nose hairs. :D

Anybody else notice this?

#31 ·
I'm gonna try some Jimmy Buffet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.