Cadillac Owners Forum banner
44K views 240 replies 55 participants last post by  BadVMan 
#1 ·
It has been in the works for more than 1 & 1/2 years now but she is finally coming together. I have kept this build to myself because it was taking so long and I wanted to make sure it was going to get done before I spilled the beans. Here is a teaser shot. :drool2: I will try to keep you guys up to date.

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
MikeNice only had a single turbo... no? either way... your point still stands... :)

More pics are NEEDED ASAP
LOL! I'm willing to wait for something this awesome

#4 ·
AWWWW SWEET. I would be most interested in your build sheet.... MOST insterested.

Also pictures are great. I wish there was a drooling and then passing out emoticon... cuz I'd use it in this thread.

Great turbo placement as well... right where the cats were... what a great place. How you handling the cooling that low? ... sorry I'm jumping the gun... I'll wait till your ready to spill all the sweet designs

#7 ·
:woot4: TWIN Turbo :v: in Jersey!!! cant wait for some more pics and specs on that 408!! looks awesome so far, are you doing all the work yourself?

#10 ·
It has been in the works for more than 1 & 1/2 years now but she is finally coming together. I have kept this build to myself because it was taking so long and I wanted to make sure it was going to get done before I spilled the beans. Here is a teaser shot. :drool2: I will try to keep you guys up to date.

Wow! You won't want to go anywhere near speedbumps with that thing, but it should really fly. What boost are you planning on running?

And who do you have doing the work?

#12 ·
Wastegate to atmosphere is frowned upon by the emissions guys that I am going up against here in the future. I'm also interested on how they are getting oil in/out of those guys with it being what looks like level to the pan.

Hope you got yourself some new axles while they were cheap. Looks fun.

#15 ·
i thought florida didnt have any emissions testing? i know here in jersey as long as you arent throwing a code you are ok.

:tisk: mid mounts were done by the guy who grenaded his motor,
and he mucked up his wires which blew out his cats. (you tube vid)
one things for sure, after a year and a half of planning it will
surely boil the motor oil in the pan on hot summer days.

:histerical:
Well air is a horrible method to transfer heat... the only way i can see that happening is if he just sits still building full boost for a decent amount of time.

u have to manage to heat the turbos hot enough, then the air surrounding the turbo, then have the cooler air around the oil pan steal energy from the air around the turbo to a point above what it would take to boil oil, then have that extremely hot air heat the metal pan.... then finally have that metal pan heat the oil.... which in honesty is hotter then the air around it anyway prob.

i would do engine bay, then mid mount, then at the end of the exhaust like a sts kit in that order of places to put a turbo if it was me.

#21 · (Edited)
Get out of here Mike. Instead of being a debbie downer with the guy and assuming he will have the worst case scenario because you feel threatened with you goatsee ass turbo, wish the guy well and luck in hopes that it brings our community better parts and options. Pathetic.

I sure miss Urby. He would have banned your ass already.....again.

#14 ·
Stew:

I would assume that he doesn't have cats since that's where his turbo is mounted. There are a lot of front mounted turbos that don't boil their oil. I'm assuming he is going to have some sort of catch can and then a return pump to kick the oil above the pan level to prevent oil seeping out of the turbo because of the backpressure.

The guy who gernaded his motor was banging off the rev limiter.. so I bet that had more to do with his demise than his turbo placement. Of course all this is second hand knowedge so I could be way wrong.

I'm hoping for the best for Washin

#22 ·
"you also have to imagine the volume of air being moved under a vehicle at even 5mph. once he is in boost and making any real power he will be moving at a decent speed ( 30mph) and thats way to much air to transfer heat effectively".

okay, now lets put this in a daily driver scenario,... turbo's (x2) are at operating temp. (hot turbo's are more efficient than cold ones, IE: make more power and spool quicker)...kay? now you're all giddy with a grin from ear to ear after he laid out 3rd gear for 200ft... now, life has it's way with you, so you mean to tell me that in stop & go traffic in 90* deg heat with minimal movement, all that radiant heat won't cause havoc on his oil, clutch, and trans???
you may want to re-think your choices, and put the rear mount 1st, and then engine mnt 2nd, and never consider a mid mount.
i wish him all the luck in the world and I'm sure in the winter he'll need a crowbar to get the smile off his face,
but clearance and heat are a real BIG issue with this type of system.

#25 ·
i like your fortitude, but theory and life often contradict each other. let the O.P. inform us how long and often it takes for him to replace all the rubber mounts and or bushings that are effected by the extreme heat of TWO 1400*+ degree turbos nestled ever so nicely in the number 1 area one would NOT want to add any more heat. :helpless:
I'm still convinced his oil temps will toss check engine lites and reduced power mode more often then not.

I'll go so far as to go out on a limb and say, "if this system runs flawlessly for one year upon the date it was completed, I'll mow his lawn in a g-string."

#27 ·
i'm honestly not going to argue this any more since this is trashing a good thread. If you want to learn more about this pick up a thermodynamics and fluid dynamics book and its all in there.

Ug please keep this crap to another thread. I wanna see buildup picts and a write up. Washin, get at it!
i just want to know where he got it done.... and when i could get a ride in it. :)

#29 ·
Looks awesome!

#31 ·
First let me thank most of you guys for the kind words and good luck.

I have been into cars my whole life and at one time was a big drag racer. (See attached picture of my last ride.) That being said I am not new to building cars. In my old age I decided to go fast but with class, so the V was the obvious choice.

This car is strictly for fun and racing, it is not some half ass attempt at a daily driver. A tremendous amout of R&D went into this build and nothing was done by chance. It has not been an easy build, but I enjoy building crazy fast cars. I do as much work as I can myself but I do farm out certain jobs i.e. Internal engine work, transmission, and welding to name a few. I contracted RDP Motorsport in Ohio to do this turbo build for me. So far they have done excellent work and I would highly recomend them.

Stay tuned and I will try to keep you up to date on the build. I am shooting to have the first V in the single digits. Hopefully it will be done before the tracks close for the season this year. That is a tall order because there is still alot of work to be done.

Attachments

#32 ·
#33 ·
That pic of the two turbos mounted on the side of the trans is the sexiest thing I have seen in weeks.

#34 ·
So this is were all that V flag money went! You must have made a killing! lol jk Good luck, I hope you succeed in your attempt to because the first V in the single digits cause that would just be bad ass!

#38 ·
Hi Guys

Just a little information about this system im building for Jeff on his CTS.
The build sheet was always designed to not have cat convertors in the system, and as to ground clearance, i designed it too maintain the radius with the front tire, means that when approaching a speed bump , once the tire starts to go over the speedbump the turbo raises at the same rate as the tire due to the tire radius and also lowers at the same rate, in others words the turbos will never touch going over a speed bump, we are also fabricating a deflector plate for the front of each turbo to protect them from anything on the road as well as warn the driver when parking etc if hes going to make contact with anything that could harm the turbos as well.
As to oil return, we are plumbing return pumps from each turbo to return the oil back to the pan at a higher level than oil pan storage.
We have had the car in the shop for all of this year developing this system for jeff so that we could provide him with the best in quality and performance, we have custom made stainless headers for each turbo with merge collectors and all, the screamer pipe was also requested by jeff and i personally think it looks pretty cool there also. i personally cannot wait to fire this little monster up and i look forward to jeff hitting the quarter mile and watching him reach his goals and ets that i know he wants so bad (me too for that matter)

Once again thanks for reading and i look forward to seeing a single digit et time slip once were finished

Steve
RDP Motorsport USA

#39 ·
Incase you guys have not seen or have heard of RDP MOTORSPORTS they do phenominal work and there quality and craftsmanship is top notch also...
I have witnessed first hand some of there project vehicles and seen them run.
I'm sure with RDP on tap the goals will be meet and we shall see another RDP BEAST BORN!!!!

Gus
Cleveland Pick A Part

#42 ·
Wow, looks like an awesome project and build... cant wait to see the results.

As to the guys overly concerned with heat saturation in proximity to the hotside of the turbo. If it was truely a problem once they get it running and its tested... there is a simple solution that will instantly solve it...

Also though lets keep in mind as that the factory catalytic converters run pretty hot as well and would otherwise be located in approximately the same area on a normal V.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.