Cadillac Owners Forum banner
25K views 171 replies 48 participants last post by  ctsv154 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

A bunch of you have asked me to design this or that for the CTS-v platform and it looks like I will finally get a breather to do just that.
I'll try and round me up some OEM half shafts and a driveshaft to see what can be improved on.

Thanks
Chris - Gforce1320

#4 ·
Drive shaft would be nice. Nobody that I know of makes them anymore for the V.

#6 ·
I agree with you.

I think Randy has a spare set. Do you guys need a someone to test them out?

#21 ·
Yes, I'm interested. I would like to have the center section also but I can start with just some OEM half shafts.
email me @ gforce1320@gmail.com and I'll work it out with you.

I also have a driveshaft that I would be willing to part with.. it's a pretty expensive OEM part so we'd work something out.

Let me know if you are interested and I'll send you my email
I would also be interested in a driveshaft but I would really need the entire car for fitment.
I'll find one local to put up on the lift for awhile to see what all I can come up with.
I might even buy one for testing.

#13 ·
I also have a driveshaft that I would be willing to part with.. it's a pretty expensive OEM part so we'd work something out.

Let me know if you are interested and I'll send you my email

#15 ·
I see on your website that you sell single half shafts as well as the set. I know that some members here have successfully run only the driver side and it has elimintaed wheel hop on the CTS-V. Hendrix doesn't sell singles because it is thought to cause undue stress on the other half shaft.

It would depend on your R&D of course, but a safe single half shaft wheel hop fix for around $450-$500 isn't beyond the realm of possibility is it?

#17 ·
So apparently either side makes a difference.

I'm not suggesting going a cheap route with only one half shaft at the expense of stressing the other, but if it can be done and cause no side effects...perfect.

Either way, the full set of the GTO half shafts is still only $900 compared to $1500+.

Why don't you work Ken? It's 9:45 and you're on the forums.... =)

#20 ·
:lol: me too:shhh:

#19 ·
:pop2: +1 on the axles, drive shaifts, and 3in exhaust if you have time :rolleyes:

thanks for developing more products for me to blow my money on :lol:

#23 ·
I have sold a bunch of my single half shafts for wheel hop. Just running one half shaft made from different material seems to work. I also make a larger diamter shaft for wheel hop.
The axles that I am working on for the G8 and Camaro have a larger diameter axle shaft on the passenger side and are made of 300m. My kit only comes with the axle shafts and you have to swap them out with the OEM axles in the half shaft assembly. By not replacing the inner or outer cv joints, it really gets the price down. I sell those for $595.
I wont know what I will offer the Caddies yet though until I have a look at the OEM stuff.

#27 ·
I'm not saying the CTS-v axles will be $595. that's just what I have come up with on the G8 and Camaro.
The G8 and Camaro's have huge inner and outer stubs so the alxe was the weak link.
I'll have to get my hands on a CTS-v half shaft to see what I can do with it.
What breaks on these cars? Is it the axle, cv's or both?

#28 ·
Typically the differential due to the wheel hop or torque on the rear end. I haven't heard of CVs or axles breaking though. That is why we are so interested in the half shafts to eliminate the wheel hop, thus saving other parts.

#29 ·
Before everyone gets carried away with the "single-half-shaft-theory" please remember that the stock half shafts in the 2004 and 2005 models were considered marginal at best for a stock V by GM's engineers. Many of them broke and led to the larger half shafts found in the 2006 and 2007 models.

#30 ·
I have a parts car if there's any other parts you need to help for development.

#31 ·
A parts car.. hmm. now your talking.
Here is my shopping list.

Transmission slip yoke or what ever the CTS-v uses that comes off the transmission output shaft.
If I am going to make driveshafts, they will not have any adapters what so ever. It'll be a slip yoke on the front and a billet pinion yoke on the back.

OEM driveshaft

Diff pinion yoke

Diff pinion gear for billet yoke fit check

Half shaft assembly L&R side including the inner and outer stubs

I could either buy these parts or borrow them and return them once I get all the data I need.

I usually end up buying a complete rear cradle assy with everything from a salvage yard.

Thanks
Chris

#42 ·
#33 ·
I might even buy one for testing.
I'm sure you could, they are getting cheap enough : (

As far as what breaks and what doesn't a lot of the early users here had lots of variations. Almost different per person (if I remember correctly) I'm sure alot of them are spelled out on previous pages from a few years ago.

Alot of people replaced the rear for whine (guilty here). And now it whines still. Does the axels cure this problem as well?

#34 ·
Glad to see you on the forum GForce. I hope you can help bring some cost effective solutions to us.

#36 ·
ATTN G-FORCE:

I'm not sure if you're aware that in 06 they upgraded the rear diff
and half shafts. So you may want to buy a cradle from the 06-07,
as this is the factory replacement rear for all the faulty 04-05's.

The 04-05 rears were stock 6cyl rears with a gear set, (3:73's)
and the 06-07 where updated, due to many failures for those first two
production years.

I hope this helps in your quest to bring us closer to an economicly
sound option for our "wheel-hop" issues.

Thanks for thinking of us, and good luck in your future endeavourse!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.