Cadillac Owners Forum banner
17K views 78 replies 20 participants last post by  peedeerooster 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Maggie it!!!

#5 ·
I can get it all installed for around 500$ from a local friend who has been bulding motors for a while. It would be hard for me to pay triple that or more if you know what I mean. I would still have to find a well respected shop to tune since stealth is out of commision.

#7 ·
I know too many people who have blown their motors on Nitrous. You have plans of just using it when you need it but you will see how much fun it is and then boom!!!

yep, you are looking at another $500 for the tune plus install. I could get the whole thing done for under 4K and would smoke a maggie :hide:

#8 ·
Im going with the new 2.5 LS6 ported heads from Texas speed shop soon with a V.3 cam and kooks 1 7/8 headers for about $3300. And Im installing it at my uncle's shop for $300 bucks. I do still need a dyno tune (not included in price)

#12 ·
Guys, seriously we lookin to the price of installation? why stop at a cheap shop and get a half ass job when you can pay that little bit more and get the job done right the first time...Its the quality of the job not the price of installin the aftermarket parts...

I paid 2800$ for heads, oil pump lifters intake manifold Rad timin chain and rocker arms...

The job was great till the crank pulley came off...But then i took it in and they fixed it up for me and did it right...

You go to some red neck place and chances are you will get away with a good installation 25% of the time, the rest of the time you will get unwanted issues...

Stop being scrooges and pay the extra dollar for a clean installation...

#15 ·
Guys, seriously we lookin to the price of installation? why stop at a cheap shop and get a half ass job when you can pay that little bit more and get the job done right the first time...Its the quality of the job not the price of installin the aftermarket parts...

I paid 2800$ for heads, oil pump lifters intake manifold Rad timin chain and rocker arms...

The job was great till the crank pulley came off...But then i took it in and they fixed it up for me and did it right...

You go to some red neck place and chances are you will get away with a good installation 25% of the time, the rest of the time you will get unwanted issues...

Stop being scrooges and pay the extra dollar for a clean installation...
If that's 515 bhp and 460 lb/ft at the crank, you ain't gonna be smokin' no maggie. If it's at the rear wheels, than sign me up.

Depending on the supporting mods, maggies are pushing upwards of 460-480 hp and 410-440 lb/ft (some even at 450-460, I think) at the wheels, so ...
That's probably after tune. They wouldn't quote a before tune gain for a setup that requires a tune to run.

I don't think you'll smoke a maggie with that setup alone. You've got the hp but will lack the tq. You need at least more cam and a new intake setup to get to maggie numbers, and then you're in another $1k at least.

:yeah:
How do they all turn into FI vs. N/A threads :pop2:

#19 ·
I am with Tony, call Ron at Vengeance. He will make sure you have the parts and cam you need for your motor. I have been talking with him and he will make sure you replace other things if you need to. They will sell you the parts without install if that is what you want. Also I am not sure of this but, you would want to be close to your tuner once the project is done.:2thumbs:

#34 ·
What is the drivetrain loss? You measured yours lately? With the money you have left over you can buy an aluminum flywheel and even it out.

I can find you automatic car dynos that make 450rwhp with heads and cam? I think they win in the drivetrain loss category.

#37 ·
Drivetrain loss on a V is very close to 15% if not more.
Vettes and F bodies don't lose as much as we do? Is that why LS2 Vettes post higher numbers than LS2 Vs? (please excuse any ignorance)

#39 ·
What's your V putting out? I'm assuming they were both on the same dyno.

#48 · (Edited)
This board get stale sometimes. Gotta do something to pass the time.

And if you couldn't tell, I'm all for the heads cam route. So that gets my vote since thats what this thread was about anyway. I just think it sounds much cooler to have a cam. I just don't care much for the maggie whine, and whining seems to get worse when you talk down about em.

#51 ·
I wonder if anybody will get around to looking at the kit, and giving the OP some good advice?

#52 ·
What kit? This thread is about maggies. Can't you read.:rant2:

#58 ·
Hmm, you know has anyonw looked up the specs on the Trick flow combo? Camshaft specs are 228/230 duration, .585 in./.585 in. lift, 112 lobe separation angle. 1997-98 model engines require the purchase of centerbolt valve covers. Trick Flow recommends this kit be used with at least 10.5:1 compression and a LS6 or FAST 90mm intake manifold. Aftermarket tuning is required.

No offence, but this cam is gonna lobe BAD....Every car i have ever seen here with a 110 or 112 LSA couldnt hold a decent idle...Good high numbers, but drivability is tough....

The heads are 64cc like our stocks, but that are 215 intake with a 80 exhaust...They come with all the nice bells and whisles, but you could do better..

Its all about where and how you want the power curve to be, you want instant everything then drop another 1500 on top and get the reman Maggie...

You lookin for a very smooth long curve, then AFR 205 with a sweet cam...A guy on the forum pulled 500hp with the afr heads and the right cam....

Personally i went with the high compression GMPP heads, and am waitin for my cam to fly in from down under....I paid 2000 for the heads, and will pay about 400 for the cam...Add in a tune and i will soon have the Beast in the Middle-East....(TM)

Ok all the other parts add to a higher price but you get my picture....

Headers 900
Intake Manifold 700
TB 150
Pushrods 125
lifters 220
Rocker arms 427
Timin chain 150
Oil pump 100
Oil cooler includin accessories 250
And thats just the engine thus far

#59 ·
No offence, but this cam is gonna lobe BAD....Every car i have ever seen here with a 110 or 112 LSA couldnt hold a decent idle...Good high numbers, but drivability is tough....

You lookin for a very smooth long curve, then AFR 205 with a sweet cam...A guy on the forum pulled 500hp with the afr heads and the right cam....
You must need better tuners over there. That cam isn't really that big. And LSA alone doesn't tell you how a cam will act you have to look at all the specs.

And you should start a thread on LS1tech and in that thread say that you think that AFRs are better than TFS heads. And let us know how it works out for you.

#65 ·
Okay, fine.

The lifters ride on the lobes.

The pushrods ride on the lifters.

And the rockers ride on the pushrods.

Bien?

Why do they make the lifter / push rod a two piece component, rather than just making it one long piece?
Even with solid lifters, one couldn't make up the differences in head gasket thickness or tolerances.

Also, the geometries of a push rod motor require the push rod to change angle throughout the stroke in relation to the lifter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.