Just wondering what grade of gas people are using?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac CTS Third Generation Forum - 2014+ Discussion, Just wondering what grade of gas people are using? in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; ...
    paulcts is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS

Question Just wondering what grade of gas people are using?

I recently took delivery of my new 2014 CTS with the 2.0 L Turbo. In reading the owner’s manual I notice it says this engine “can” use regular gas. It adds that if the driver notices “nocking” that an octane upgrade may be required. However, I notice that on the hinge of my gas cap door there is a sticker that says “premium gasoline recommended”. I have been using regular 87 octane gas and I have not noticed any “nocking”. So I am just wondering what kind of gas other folks are using and why?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

calif phil is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe
    I would use premium.

blankster is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Premium AWD 3.6 DI (Sold)
    You may get slightly decreased performance with regular due to the knock sensors. If you drive with a heavy foot use premium.

hansumtoad is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: Just wondering what grade of gas people are using?

93 when i can get it..... otherwise 92.

Sir Nuke is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS Coupe, 08 STS

with your car......with out a doubt I would be using Premium.

RJParks is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS4

I have the 3.6 DI AWD and have used everything from 85 with ethanol to 92 premium. Currently using a 87 non-ethanol and I'm very pleased with it. Better mileage and still responsive.

M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

Considering the carbon deposit problems D/I has, if you planned on keeping the car for the average length of ownership (10 years or so) I wouldn't use anything except top-tier premium.

ddawson is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS PREMIUM SEDAN 3.6 RWD

Another idea, would be to alternate every other fill up.

Quote Originally Posted by ddawson View Post
    Another idea, would be to alternate every other fill up.
    I wouldn't do that. Alternating between 87/93 is only going force the ECU to constantly adjust ignition timing.

If the car suggests 93, use 93, some top tier suppliers(like shell)use even more detergents in high grades.

I have the 3.6 DI AWD and have used everything from 85 with ethanol to 92 premium. Currently using a 87 non-ethanol and I'm very pleased with it. Better mileage and still responsive.
    Non ethanol gas is great for fuel economy, but these days they usually contain very little detergents.

ddawson is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS PREMIUM SEDAN 3.6 RWD

Quote Originally Posted by M5eater View Post
    I wouldn't do that. Alternating between 87/93 is only going force the ECU to constantly adjust ignition timing.

If the car suggests 93, use 93, some top tier suppliers(like shell)use even more detergents in high grades.

Non ethanol gas is great for fuel economy, but these days they usually contain very little detergents.
    Excellent point.

ChevyRules is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 Cadillac ATS Premium 3.6 AWD

Quote Originally Posted by M5eater View Post
    Considering the carbon deposit problems D/I has, if you planned on keeping the car for the average length of ownership (10 years or so) I wouldn't use anything except top-tier premium.
    The deposits though are on the valves, etc since they are no longer sprayed by the fuel when entering the cylinder. Regular vs Premium won't make much of a difference besides cleaning the fuel injector.

But I echo everyone else's opinion and stick with premium fuel. The difference is ~$4 so it shouldn't be bank breaking..... And since it is a forced inducted engine, even more so to use premium.

Quote Originally Posted by ChevyRules View Post
    The deposits though are on the valves, etc since they are no longer sprayed by the fuel when entering the cylinder. Regular vs Premium won't make much of a difference besides cleaning the fuel injector.

But I echo everyone else's opinion and stick with premium fuel. The difference is ~$4 so it shouldn't be bank breaking..... And since it is a forced inducted engine, even more so to use premium.
    Internal EGR is why you want to use cleaner burning fuels. Most engines these days overlap the exhaust valve so that it is partially open on the intake cycle through clever cam phasing. Since no Engine has 100% VE (and thus why we need catalytic converters; to burn off unspent fuel), you're always going to have residual fuel in the combustion chamber which won't really wash the valves more than it will ensure a film of fuel is left on it so that deposits can't form. That means it's very important to select top tier fuels. That in combination with a quality synthetic(which finds it's way onto the valves in the form of vapor) is what's going to help keep deposits to a minimum. Good oils won't burn off and gum up on valves, lower quality oils will however; which has perpetuated the GL5 specification to ensure that even conventional oils these days are loaded with detergents and base stocks that are good for the high combustion temperatures of Direct Injected/ turbo engines.

jghiller is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 Sedan Lux Silver Coast

Premium for Turbo or top of the line 3.6 engine. Regular Top Tier for standard 3.6L. Also use Fuel System Treatment Plus with oil change as recommended by GM.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.