Horrible rattling from the back of the cabin
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac CTS Third Generation Forum - 2014+ Discussion, Horrible rattling from the back of the cabin in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; So all you '14 owners, is anyone else experiencing any rattling in the cabin? I have something in the back ...
    CrazyWabbit is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS Luxury - Red Obsession with Cashmere

Unhappy Horrible rattling from the back of the cabin

So all you '14 owners, is anyone else experiencing any rattling in the cabin? I have something in the back that is just rattling like crazy even on smooth roads. I can't tell what it is, but it's definitely from the back seat area. It's driving me nuts! I only have 1300 miles on her, so this car should be completely silent not sounding like a bunch of rocks in a tin can. Before I take it in, I wanted to check to see if anyone else had any experiences so I can direct the dealer to the problem.

What about when your sunroof is open? That's a whole other set of rattles!

This car is crazy fun to drive, but without the music cranked, the one I have sure is noisy. So frustrating since it's brand new, my first payment doesn't even draft till next week!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

ddawson is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS PREMIUM SEDAN 3.6 RWD

Re: Horrible rattling from the back of the cabin

Do you have the back window shade? If you do, that's a possibility. I don't understand why you would ask that question on a website. The only thing you can get here is possibilities.

I don't have the shade, I wish it would be that simple.

I am asking if anyone has the issue, not for what could be causing it. The reason I ask is because the car I used to own had a forum, too. Everyone that had problems listed them out and patterns started to form and a lot of things became very common. If others have the same issue, or have figured it out, then when I take it to the dealer I have something to tell them as a lead instead of letting them try to figure it out and hearing "we couldn't reproduce the problem".

Slee_Stack is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS Wagon RWD Premium, Used to own 2005 STS 1SG

If it 'rattles like crazy on smooth roads', your dealer should be able to replicate it. Take it in, get it fixed. That's unacceptable for a new car.

ddawson is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS PREMIUM SEDAN 3.6 RWD

I'm sure by now, you have taken it to the dealer. What did they find?

I have an appointment to take her in tomorrow for them to look at. Going out of town for a few days, so this will give them time to drive around and figure out what's going on.

dobrenyr is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyWabbit
    I have an appointment to take her in tomorrow for them to look at. Going out of town for a few days, so this will give them time to drive around and figure out what's going on.
    Could be the shocks, i had my gen 2 rear shocks replaced twice

After a few trips to the dealer on this and several other issues, we are starting to get it resolved and I wanted to let you all know what is happening. This time I took the technician out with me on the test drive and he was able to hear all of the issues first hand which was a huge help.

So far they found that it was definitely the sunroof, the headliner not being fully tightened, and the rear seats. The best part was that the brand new 2014 sedan they gave me as a loaner (with the same luxury package I have) has the same issues! This must be issues on the production line...

The sunroof glass was apparently hitting the frame, so they had to reseat that and add some additional weatherstripping. The frame of the sunroof (or at least a part of the support structure) was hitting on the metal of the car structure, so they had to insulate that after tightening everything down.

The headliner wasn't fully tightened down, so they had to snap it all back into place, retighten and add felt tape to all of the handles, and add extra felt tape and insulation around the back window and the C-pillars and headliner.

There is also a lot of leather on leather rubbing on the back seat, so they applied a little dry lube to try to keep that from popping. But that one is much more temperature sensitive and goes away when it gets warmer so might just have to live with it in the winter months.

After all of that, the ride home was much quieter than in the past. Is it bank vault quiet? No, not yet. Which is disappointing for a $55k vehicle, but at least I am enjoying the ride more now.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.