Throwing code P0128 -- 2003 3.2 L - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Throwing code P0128 -- 2003 3.2 L in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; Where can i get the PDF file? im curious to know what this procedure is going to take... I'm having ...
    FlyingRaven is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): balck raven 2003 CTS

Re: Throwing code P0128 -- 2003 3.2 L

Where can i get the PDF file? im curious to know what this procedure is going to take... I'm having the same code.

Roki is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Question Re: Throwing code P0128 -- 2003 3.2 L

Can you tell me do I need some aditionnal parts , like gasket or something else, when changin termostat.
    Thanks

the cadillac kid is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): > BMUU

open the Attached File at the bottom of this guy's post: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/974075-post2.html

RunningOnEMT is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 05 Redline CTS-V

http://myweb.accessus.net/~090/dtcobd2.html

best GM OBDII reference i've found in years

justfishing41 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 2003 CTS

Hi guys! I just joined so be gentle.
    I just bought a used 2003 CTS in Nov. 2007 with 47,000 miles and have been pretty happy with it so far. I resently started getting the same check engine light. I drove with it for a couple weeks and it did go out for a coule weeks but came back on. It's been anything but warm up here in Green Bay and had the dealer check it and they want to replace the thermostat for $335 ($255 labor, $50 parts, $30 misc/tax). The light was out after I got it back form the dealer but came on again after a couple days.
    My dilema is what to do. Run it with the light and wait for summer to see if it goes out, get the coolig system flushed as I saw in some of the discussion threads as I don't know if this has been done on this car in the past, or bite the bullet and get it done now. Has anyone had repeat problems after getting it done? Is it worth while? Is there a way for me to "clear the code" and get the light out myself?

Jonny223 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I get the same code when it is really cold a few days in a row...

tedscts is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Due to poor enginerring of coolant system, the actural parts for thermostat run $65.00 with all gaskets and bits and pieces, its the labor that is killer, dealer has to take off intake manifold to get to thermostat.

On a Chev V8 its a 20 minute job to change stat.

I drove my 2003 CTS for 3 years with check engine light on, it will not come on in summer, even when stat is not opening properly, it only happened in cold weather. Had car in florida Oct to April no lite.

But when I started to get a smell like overheating, I broke down and spent the $640.00, it turned out stat houseing was also broken, or tech broke it and I payed.

I have noticed an improvement in gas milage, as when stat is not allowing engine to reach proper temp, computor dumps more gas into injectors to try to compensate, whuch of course is not what is wrong.

just my 2 cents, but as its march now, you could just keep resetting lite, until summer, then it should not come on again until next winter.

johnlaqua is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS

just got my stat and housing replaced by ase tech....stat came with housing from oriellys auto parts for 24 bucks...dex cool coolant to refill after was 20 bucks, labor was 193 bucks....600 bucks lmao sorry to hear

carrnuttdave is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS

nothing like bumping up an old thread!

odthetruth is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

For real. Debumped.

[2006 CTS-V - "The Vee Baby Seamus"] - 372rwhp / 361rwtq
    Pacesetters | Off Road Adapters | Cutouts | Stock Airbox | Stock Catback
    BMR AWK | CS Diff Block | Short Shifter | UMI MM | Revshift TM

azfara is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS

I have 150k on my 03 CTS. I have been fixing the things as I was going along with it. I like this car I have changed the timming belt and all the pullies and wather pump in summer. If I would have known I change the thremostat too. Any way Chicago cold weather and 0128 code come on.
    My friend mechanaic says that it might be just the sensor and not the thermostat. But as I investigate I have to open the intake why not change both.
    For time being I am driving like this. Good luck to me.

azfara is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS

Changed both thermostat and temp sensor. Drove for two week. Now temp drop to 10 Degree F and check engine light came back. No coolant leak or any thing. One thing which I notice previously it was used to say check coolant level message, but now it does not show that message just check engine light. Does anyone know where is this coolant level sensor on this car?

cabletech is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS 3.2L M35 LtPt

I believe coolant level sensor is in the overflow reservoir.

Welcome to the persistent P0128 club. At least it'll go away in the summer.

reddog01 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS

Bump, Bump...(keeping this thread alive because we love our CTSs'...dont we???)
    Finally changed the T'stat. This thread is first I've found with sensor mentioned. Wish I'd have found it before I put it all back together. No more P0128, but no hot air from the heat vents. Gotta be a bad sensor. Everything else checks out good. Oh well, live and learn. Shouldn't take as long this time, as I know
    where everything is and where everything goes. On the upside, at least I wont have to replace all the o-rings, vacumm lines, hoses, etc, etc, etc...as I did that
    when doing the T'stat.

odthetruth is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by reddog01 View Post
    Bump, Bump...(keeping this thread alive because we love our CTSs'...dont we???)
    Finally changed the T'stat. This thread is first I've found with sensor mentioned. Wish I'd have found it before I put it all back together. No more P0128, but no hot air from the heat vents. Gotta be a bad sensor. Everything else checks out good. Oh well, live and learn. Shouldn't take as long this time, as I know
    where everything is and where everything goes. On the upside, at least I wont have to replace all the o-rings, vacumm lines, hoses, etc, etc, etc...as I did that
    when doing the T'stat.
    Might have to burp the system as you might have air pockets from changing all the lines which could be interfering with the heater core

[2006 CTS-V - "The Vee Baby Seamus"] - 372rwhp / 361rwtq
    Pacesetters | Off Road Adapters | Cutouts | Stock Airbox | Stock Catback
    BMR AWK | CS Diff Block | Short Shifter | UMI MM | Revshift TM

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.