Window tint
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Window tint in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; I was all set to get my windows tinted. I have a white 03 and was going to get the ...
    Scott is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Window tint

I was all set to get my windows tinted. I have a white 03 and was going to get the rear windows (in CA your not suppose to do anything with the front windows ) blacked out with the darkest tint. But the installer said it wouldn't look good and to go with a less dark tint. So I gave my clear windows a hard look and though "they don't look bad just as they are". And the more I thought about it the visibility really isn't all that good anyway, so the hell with it. Is a light tint worthwhile at all? Does anybody here who got a tint regret it?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

L.A.P.D. is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V, 2007 Escalade

Re: Window tint

Scott,

Whenever I get my windows tinted, (I live here in CA also) I have ALL of the windows tinted because getting the rear windows tinted by themselves looks odd.

When we get our CTS-V, we are going to tint ALL windows 20% dark! We shouldn't get pulled over since we will have LAPD written all over it! Maybe we will get shown some professional courtesy. LOL!

Shawn

Quote Originally Posted by Scott
    I was all set to get my windows tinted. I have a white 03 and was going to get the rear windows (in CA your not suppose to do anything with the front windows ) blacked out with the darkest tint. But the installer said it wouldn't look good and to go with a less dark tint. So I gave my clear windows a hard look and though "they don't look bad just as they are". And the more I thought about it the visibility really isn't all that good anyway, so the hell with it. Is a light tint worthwhile at all? Does anybody here who got a tint regret it?

S10xGN is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 09 CTS

Texas allows 30% on side windows and 40% on backglass. I believe there may be medical exceptions to allow for darker tint. We went with the 30/40 combo and it looks great on platinum!

ctsvett is offline FAQ is your Friend
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

On my impala I had 20% everywhere but on the front windshield. I never got any tickets or had any problems. Its light enough that they can see in but dark enough that it looks cool.

The reason in CA you can't legally have a tint on driver and passenger windows is generally because of the saftey of police officers. If they can't see in, you could have a gun. So, my theory (and I have friends who are police) is that if you have 20% on driver and passenger you are ok because they can still see in. Legally you are fine on the back window and rear doors to go as dark as you want, but it blends better if you only do 20%. Besides, if you get pulled over, you roll down your driver window right?

Just my opinion (please dont spam)

Reed
    CTSVETT

-1-
    -1- is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

:coolgleam I believe a light tint looks "classier" than a dark tint. I had a dark tint on a black car before and never liked the look. Plus driving at night can be a problem. :coolgleam

Don
    -1-

peccles is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I have a Saturn VUE with 20% in the rear window and the back seat passenger
    windows with 50% on the driver and front passenger windows. It looks fine. I also put
    20% on the rear of my C5 with 50% on the driver and passenger windows. I live in CA
    and did not want to bring undo attention with tinting the front windows if I get
    pulled over for something.

George B is offline Cadillac Owners Member

There is a FAQ at http://nav-gm.denso.co.jp/contents/faq/faqf2.htmlthat recommends that you do not apply tinting if you have the nav system since it can interfere with the systems GPS antenna.

benjet is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by George B
    There is a FAQ at http://nav-gm.denso.co.jp/contents/faq/faqf2.htmlthat recommends that you do not apply tinting if you have the nav system since it can interfere with the systems GPS antenna.
    Funny I thought the GPS antenna was with the GPS box in side panel of the trunk - I will have to check into that further. There isn't anything resembling an antenna on my rear deck (as mentioned in the link you posted), are you certain this is for CTS's? On the rear glass is AM/FM radio antenna (integrated into the top of the glass) and the analog ONSTAR cell phone antenna (stick on/stand up thing).

-Ben

S10xGN is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 09 CTS

Quote Originally Posted by George B
    You just need to specify "non-metallic" based film be used...

Kansas-Cadillac is offline Cadillac Owners Member

We were surprised the windows in our '03 CTS weren't darker. We decided not to have them tinted -- a decision we can easily reverse.

Based on previous cars we had tinted, I would suggest this for a black car (or any SUV): light tint on the front door windows, medium on the back door windows, and dark on the back window. On a black (or dark) vehicle, it gives the look of really dark windows, but it's easier to see out the driver's window. (Though I've never hard a hard time seeing through tinted windows at night.)

HTH.

benjet is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Just got the V tinted yesterday, used FULL METALLIC TINT (not just metallic flake tint), altho it's not the reflective stuff we saw on one car (ewww - and seriously illegal).

I did ALL of the glass on the car including the front windshield.

There *MAY* be some degradation of cell signal inside the car, but none that I have noticed yet with the small sample of cell phones that's have been inside (while moving) in the last 24 hours. XM and GPS work fine (duh - nothing to do with the glass), Onstar I have not yet reconnected the antenna - so I'll have to see.

They did have to remove the rear seat to get the back section in properly (not a big deal to me - they are professionals).

-Ben

P.S. California DOES allow for something to be put on the fronts (and windshield) - it's up to your tint professional to offer that option to you.

KJTROT is offline Cadillac Owners Member

If any one has a concern about window tinting I had mine done two weeks ago with 3M innovation film. It is a non-metallic type with a lifetime guarantee against numerous items fro problems in the past going purple etc. I think it is 30% all around except the windshield. This is the darkest tint that is legal in NC. The police here have been known to check you if they pull you for some reason.

smuook is offline Cadillac Owners Member

You might want to check out Huper Optik ceramic tint. I have had it installed for over 1 month and it's really great. I live in Florida and have used many different tints in the past... including titanium metallic. The Huper ceramic does just as well blocking out UV and heat also. It really makes a difference. It has no dye and will not change color.

I installed the 40... which knocks down the heat quite a bit. But if you are worried it being too dark, they make a 60 that barely changes the darkness but you get great heat rejection.

The best thing about the Huper is the look. The REFLECTIVITY is extremely low. It doesn't look like a mirrored finished... you can see into the car... but everything is darker... so you can't make out details, giving plenty of privacy. You really have to see it for yourself to see what I mean. Here's a picture of the 40 in bright Florida sunshine. It normally looks darker. They also make a 30 too.

Being ceramic... it doesn't not effect your antenna reception as stated in the owner's manual.

And no... I don't work for Huper

http://www.huperoptik.com/AutoProduc...t=NaviAuto.inc
    Attached Images

cdog533 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V

If you've not had tint before, start with like a 30% or 35% on the sides and 20% on the back. That's not too dark, looks cool but not ricer..

Here in IL all front window tint is illegal, so we get hassled a bit for it and ticketed. I call it a "tint tax." -C

PaulsLac is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Cops don't bug you as much with mirror tint, and with 32%, you should be good, cause you can see through it in daytime, but at nighttime, you really can't unless the light hits it a certain way...but that's with any tint. Mirror tint is harder to see through in daytime (nearly impossible) but very easy to see through at night time. 20% is really unnecessary and I have a hard time looking out my 32%. Plus at my local tint shop, illegal tint does not have a lifetime warranty and some cops are dickheads to begin with, so having a lifetime warranty can save you some cash too.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.