Window tint - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Window tint in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; In California you can only tint the front two windows to 70%, which is basically nothing. In fact I think ...
    jjohnson is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: Window tint

In California you can only tint the front two windows to 70%, which is basically nothing. In fact I think the windows from the factory are already tinted to 70% on the 03 CTS, which means legally you can't put anything on the front windows. All you need is a doctor's note and you are good to go.. I think to 30-40%

Lanman is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 STS-V

I just had my CTS-V tinted today using the 20% 3M tint all the way around and it looks great. I do have one problem though. They said they couldn't get the tint to stick to the very top of the rear window where the dot matirx is so I've got about a 3 inch strip of un-tinted window. I've seen a few people comment on this problem but I'm wondering if anybody has had any luck with getting their entire back window tinted. Any feedback or advice will be greatly appreciated.

S10xGN is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 09 CTS

Ours is fully tinted (applied over the dots) and while not perfect, is certainly not objectionable.

Jerome is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 08 Saab 9-3, Dreaming of an ATS-V

My brother tells me of this guy in Los Angeles and he will tint your windows as dark as you want them, He also gives you a razor blade and says if you ever get pulled over, tell the officer you will get out right there and scrape it off. That way no ticket because you fixed the problem. Then you just go back to the guy and he will re-tint for free.

benjet is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome
    My brother tells me of this guy in Los Angeles and he will tint your windows as dark as you want them, He also gives you a razor balde and says if you ever get pulled over, tell the officer you will get out right there and scrape it off. That way no ticket because you fixed the problem. Then you just go back to the guy and he will re-tint for free.
    Now that's FUNNY! Only in the USA you are inncent until proven guilty, meaning the officer would have to PROVE (like they can do with a radar gun) that your windows have illegal tint on them (and keep in mind you CAN have tint on your front windows in CA). Altho if you were moving at the time he pulled you over, and then after he questioned you about it, you got out to remove it, he would most likely still cite ya (you were driving with tint - blah blah blah).

Here's the rub - the tint can only be very light (to be in question with the law - then the officer would have to prove that they were DARKER than LEGALLY ALLOWED), if the tint is pretty dark then it's blatantly obvious, grab the blade and go at 'em. Mine is pretty light, so the LEO (Law Enforcement Officer) would have to take some sort of measurement of the tint in order to cite me. Can't be cited on susspision of window tint.

Trouble is there is ususally 1 fully loaded inspection officer in every district, has the tools to measure window tint, exhuast noise, headlamps etc. These guys are a PITA.

-Ben

WRH
    WRH is offline Cadillac Owners Member

More specific, if you hae NAV do not use any tinting with a metalic base

Quote Originally Posted by WRH
    More specific, if you hae NAV do not use any tinting with a metalic base
    Uh, Why?

I have FULL metallic (not just flake) on ALL of the glass of my V, no (noticable)degradation of any signals (or NAV) discovered to date (2+ months so far).

-Ben

CadX6 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Take my word for it (as one who has written a few tinted window citations - but only extreme cases) - the California Vehicle Code does not give a blanket approval to window tinting. It does however, allow you to tint to any degree (or even black out) any window behind the driver ie: rear side windows & rear window - as long as the vehicle has outside rear view mirrors on both the right & left side. You may NOT (legally) apply ANY tinting, stickers, covering, etc. to windows beside or in front of the driver (front doors or windshield), except a small specified area in the lower right hand corner of the windshield, to allow for parking decals, etc. Now - having said that - obviously many of us have had some degree of tint applied to our front passenger windows. The trick - at least in California - is KEEP IT REASONABLE. Limo tint on the front windows will always attract attention. You may get away with it indefinitely or you might get nailed when you pull out of the shop. The windshield is ALWAYS off limits.

Obviously this all applies to tinting beyond that which is present from the manufacturer - that has already been approved by US DOT.

Quote Originally Posted by CadX6
    You may NOT (legally) apply ANY tinting, stickers, covering, etc. to windows beside or in front of the driver (front doors or windshield), except a small specified area in the lower right hand corner of the windshield, to allow for parking decals, etc.
    According to what Vehicle Code section specifically?

-Ben

CadX6 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Ok then maybe I was wrong on my use of the word "tint" I should have referred to it as "film" (I guess @ 88% it's no longer "tint") - from CVC Section 26708 (d) and referenced as well in 26708.5 (a), the "film" on my windshield is legal:

(d) Notwithstanding subdivision (a), clear, colorless, and transparent material may be installed, affixed, or applied to the front side windows, located to the immediate left and right of the front seat if the following conditions are met:

(1) The material has a minimum visible light transmittance of 88 percent.

(2) The window glazing with the material applied meets all requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 205 (49 C.F.R. 571.205), including the specified minimum light transmittance of 70 percent and the abrasion resistance of AS-14 glazing, as specified in that federal standard.

(3) The material is designed and manufactured to enhance the ability of the existing window glass to block the sun's harmful ultraviolet A rays.

chino-rider is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lanman
    I just had my CTS-V tinted today using the 20% 3M tint all the way around and it looks great. I do have one problem though. They said they couldn't get the tint to stick to the very top of the rear window where the dot matirx is so I've got about a 3 inch strip of un-tinted window. I've seen a few people comment on this problem but I'm wondering if anybody has had any luck with getting their entire back window tinted. Any feedback or advice will be greatly appreciated.
    I just had the windows done on my CTS and the guy who did the job put a piece of black vinyl over the dots area in the rear window. Perfect results and no bother using the rear view mirror.

Shaun V is offline Cadillac Owners Member

do you have a picture of that black vinyl?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.