My aftermarket radio install in the CTS - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, My aftermarket radio install in the CTS in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; Originally Posted by Kingoftypos You know what, there are two other power sources..... The power outlets..... Remember fella's the fuses ...
    JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

Re: Retain DIC with Double Din wiring?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingoftypos View Post
    You know what, there are two other power sources.....

The power outlets..... Remember fella's the fuses for these power outlets that are under the hood can be switched. From their factory default of always on, to on with ignition. Heck, that might even be just exactly like a RAP. Where the opening of the door turns it off. Best part, is that you could control the front from separate from the rear one.

I know that ya'll would like "duh" just like I was a minute ago when I thought of those fuses.

KOT

^true except for the part about opening the door. Even after you open the door, close it, lock the doors and engage the alarm; RAP stays active for 10 minutes after you turn off the ignition. No matter what. Only the radio shuts off when you open the door.

LS6TT is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 Cadillac CTS

I wouldnt mind if it shuts off when the car turns off, i just want to make sure it doesnt lose all settings etc.

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LS6TT View Post
    I wouldnt mind if it shuts off when the car turns off, i just want to make sure it doesnt lose all settings etc.
    that is why devices that store settings (like my parrot kit) also use a constant 12v+ lead.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

VAKyle is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS (Luxury/Sport Package)

2004 Aftermarket Radio DIC Combination

Ok I had previously posted a thread asking if anyone knew of an interface allowing you to keep your DIC in tact. Actually, what I was getting at is I am thinking of going with a double din unit and eliminating the enitre factory radio/dic peices.

Does anyone know of an aftermarket double din head unit either with using or without using an interface to maintain all the DIC controls and information utilizing the new system i.e. display, info, etc. Again thanks you guys have been extremely helpful in some of my other postings.

ProudCaddyDaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS 3.6L "The Gray Ghost"(R.I.P), 05 CTS 3.6L "Fin"

Re: 2004 Aftermarket Radio DIC Combination

This has been done by many (including myself). There are some great write-ups by MJS and Geatano

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...-2006-cts.html

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...vic-710bt.html

just follow these directions and it really is not hard.
    You won't need any modules or interfaces components.
    All you will lose is the ability to use the 4 steering wheel buttons, the steering wheel volume will still work.
    J W likes this.

ride_002000 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS 2.8L

Will you be able to use the steering wheel btns for the TC and the fan speed? Thats what I have mine set at. I plan on putting in a Pioneer AVH-3200dvd soon.

Kingoftypos is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS Sport/Luxury package

Quote Originally Posted by ride_002000 View Post
    Will you be able to use the steering wheel btns for the TC and the fan speed? Thats what I have mine set at. I plan on putting in a Pioneer AVH-3200dvd soon.
    It all depends on how you wire it up...

I have mine 1-4 buttons controlling temperature and radio station select. Since the previous owner hasn't turned off the XM radio, I am using the buttons to change the station. I have the XM radio's audio going thru my Pioneer unit, which it turns goes thru the factory amp. This is so that I am able to use the steering wheel volume control as well. As the volume, balance, fade and even EQ is done thru the factory amp.

KOT

What about the factory volume/tune knobs are these operable as well or "just there" does the dic still display the old radio presets and are these in conjuction with the new head unit?

ride_002000 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS 2.8L

I have been doing some research and what I am gathering is....
    The stock volume knobs will only control your DIC. You will be able to use your steering wheel 1-4 btns for fan speed, temperature or TC etc...but not for the radio itself. (maybe Im wrong but thats what im getting out of the posts I have read) Some ppl are losing their RAP function which is when you take your key out the radio stays on until the door is opened, this can be retained with a wiring harness that you can purchase but is about $100. The DIC will display the old presets but are inoperable (i think).

I havent done this but ordered my Double DIN DVD player last night and purchased the wiring harness from txbest and should have it installed this weekend. Im sure others that have more knowledge than me will chime in.

Thanks ride_ keep me posted on the double din install.

b_varble is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS, 2007 XLR-V(Dads) 2007 Escalade(Moms)

Re: My aftermarket radio install in the CTS

Is it possible to get rid of the DIC and still change the functions on the car?

dproto09 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS 3.2L Silver

I just lost everything i just try and posted let me re-write this. No you will lose all function. Unless before you removed the dic you program the four button on the steering wheel to control Fan speed, Temp, T/C. Those buttom will no longer beable to control the aftermarket head unit, but the volume control will still work. Once removed you cant change any programming unless you plug in the stock radio. The only other option is to relocated the dic by extending the wire harness which man people wont do because it very time consuming. Hope this helps.

canucmeNaCTS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 07 CTS 2.8L - Black

I haven't bought it yet, but one of the first things I wanted to do was change the radio!!! What is "DIC"? LOL

ProudCaddyDaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS 3.6L "The Gray Ghost"(R.I.P), 05 CTS 3.6L "Fin"

Driver Information Center

The Raven is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by ride_002000 View Post
    I have been doing some research and what I am gathering is....
    The stock volume knobs will only control your DIC. You will be able to use your steering wheel 1-4 btns for fan speed, temperature or TC etc...but not for the radio itself. (maybe Im wrong but thats what im getting out of the posts I have read)
    You have two options here.

You can install the aftermarket unit and simply tie in the front speaker outputs to the amp just like the write-up instructs you to. This will keep your steering wheel controls the way they are now, which means you will be able to control the amp's volume level with the knob on the dash and the wheel on the steering wheel. You will also be able to program the 1/2/3/4 buttons to operate climate control and TC function just like stock. However they will not be able to do track/folder advance since those are functions dependent on the new aftermarket unit. You will have to keep the aftermarket unit's volume all the way up and modulate the volume with the amp. Fundamentally this is fine, but in reality you will find that most double-din units have cooling fans that are speed-modulating based on the set volume level. So, this means that your aftermarket unit's cooling fan will be running full out and will be very audible in the car. It will also mean that the unit will run pretty hot...not so much so that it will damage the unit, but it will be very warm to the touch and that may annoy you as it did me.

Second option is to purchase the CTS-V steering wheel control set (you can usually find these for $20-30 on ebay), and the corresponding steering wheel wiring harness. You will also need the PAC translator unit that works with your head unit (PAC SWI-PS if it's a Pioneer unit). You can then steal the steering wheel control feedback wire from the harness in the back of the stock unit, and tie it into the PAC translator and then hook the translator up to your aftermarket unit. This will give you eight programmable buttons, all of which will work with your new aftermarket unit. This way you can keep the factory amp turned up and use the volume control on your aftermarket unit, allowing the fan to modulate correctly and the unit to run cooler. The disadvantage to this approach is that you have to make sure that your low-voltage connection to the amp is well shielded, because the amp will be at high volume and that will make any unwanted line noise VERY LOUD.

There is no perfect way to do this, which is no surprise seeing as this really is a hack install to begin with. Unfortunately it's the only choice we have.
    CTSM likes this.

17. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

What Cadillac(s) do you own? (Or type NONE)

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.