Horrible paint job! What do i do? ---Photo's - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Horrible paint job! What do i do? ---Photo's in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; i've had mine repainted (not the entire ride, but bits and pieces) by 3 different shops, each one claiming to ...
    urbanski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS-V

Re: Horrible paint job! What do i do? ---Photo's

i've had mine repainted (not the entire ride, but bits and pieces) by 3 different shops, each one claiming to be "the best", or "better than that other guy".
    well all 3 left panels malaligned, overspray, bubbles, and other things that needed redone. at least all 3 stripped her down properly and prepped it right. the CTS is easy to tear apart for paint. its just you wont get a proper teardown and prep for 1300 bux. however, i do like the color...very showy.
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

dkozloski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

I've done some DIY paint jobs and I have friends that have done the same. The key is to have someone who knows how to do it guide you. The prep work is all cooly labor that you can supply. Do all the sanding and masking yourself. Let the experts spray the primer and paint. A couple of friends even made a bargain with a body shop for just the painting. A color change is one thing but if you're repeating the original it simplifies a lot. I've got the same question as everybody else; why not let the insurance company cover it? You aren't driving around uninsured are you?
    Don't mess with Binky Bear!

FlyFlip420 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

I think the Insurance company got him.....they cut him a check for about 6K and he got bug eyes and figured he could fix it himself and save some cash........I would have paid 6k alone for the paint job.....or at least made my insurance cover it.......Insurance company made out big time....I remember his first thread too and everyone saying to take it to a shop and Ins will cover whatever the total is.......Say it aint so Lotus....Say it aint so

Lotus49 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS 3.6L, 2005 GSXR 1300 Hayabusa (turbo...soon)

uhh well... i didnt get the check yet, i didnt accept it, but my boss wouldnt let me come to work with the car anymore unless it was fixed or i had a rental. So i had it done with maaco, and i wasnt going to complete the claim becsaue it was fixed. But i didnt think it would come out that crappy.... so.... what do i do now?

bdrex28 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS in Black

Well, you learned a valuable lesson in insurance claims for one.

Your best bet now because you've pretty much gotten hosed, is to make Maaco repair all the screw ups they've done and have them fix it.

Just my opinion.

You didnt accept the check??? What I would do is go back out to your car and carve it back up again, just like it was.....then try and take it to a place that your INsurance company said would fix it....and get them to fix it....You might be able to tell the guys fixing it what happened, what do they care, they are just gonna charge the Ins. company anyway....so they might be more apt to help ya.......Thats probably not going to help, but worth a try...(but I would leave out the recarving) YOur gonna most likely have to eat the $1300, but at least you will have your ride back to normal and a lesson learned......

If you dont like that option, go back to Maaco and have them fix there mistakes...no matter what you pay, they dont have the right to do a shitty job!!

I dont know why they just couldnt do a better job, if half way through he realized he couldnt do the job with the money i gave him, he should have called me and asked what to do. I would have rather paid an extra 500 to make sure it was done right. The things that are WRONG with his paint are,

1. He didnt tape off the 2 black running strps on the top of the car.
    2. He didnt sand the drivers front running guard, there is sand and bugs still left under the paint.
    3. His sander marked the trim along the drivers rear door.
    4. The paint runs in at least 8 different places
    5. There is visable over-spray on at least 10 differnt points along the car
    6. There are waves and streaks in the metal from where he sanded.
    7. The front chrome piece has sander marks on it.
    8. There is about 1mm gap in almost every part between where the paint stops and there is metal. Either a gap or overlaying paint.
    9. Orange peal like crazy.
    10. There is Under-spray along the ENTIRE car. No matter what light u can see blotchy... marks. Where the paint is lighter than other places. Like if you look at ur hand when its cold.
    11. There are pits and dimples around the entire car, which says the enviorment that he painted in wasnt 100% dirt or dust free.

Thats what i can see now, im sure there is more to come. Thats not what i expect for $1300. What he did isnt a lack of money issue. Its a lack of professionalism. Its not really "that bad" it sounds alot worse that it is, what i typed .. is there. It looks like...... well I pained it.. lol

The problem you have here is that MAACO can't do a good job. It aint in'em. They aren't going to pay somebody else to fix their screwups. You got what you paid for, a $1300 paint job. Unfortunately, a $1300 paint job looks like hell. I wouldn't blame the insurance company if they walked away from the whole deal. You have an obligation to minimize damages if you can and what you did was make it worse. It's a fine mess you've got us in now, Ollie.

yes, but wether it be 500 or 1500.. its no excuse for such unprofessionalism. I told him what i wanted, we agree'd on a price, The job should have been completed. Fuc*ups in the paint is not a "cheap" paint job. Its Fu*K ups, Period. If he knew how it would turn out before we started, If he said to me. "hey you might want to spend a little extra to make sure a care like this comes out good" i would have said .. sure. here is my money. But no, he said "this is what i need to fix you'r car" There is no excuse for thoes 11 or so items on the car (exc. maybe orange peal) ... Shit, i would have stripped the friggen thing and put the parts in the trunk,had he told me it would end up like this.

Well whatever happend, it happened......we now have to figure out how to get her back to beauty......

1. Take it back and make them fix it....NO EXCUSES!!!
    2. Take it to a shop recommended by your insurance, tell them what happened, they would have had to strip the car anyway, so maybe the will just toss a bit on top and charge the insurance company......
    3. Kick yourself in the balls for doing anything to your LAC withOUT talking to la famlia

Can we skip step 3?? cuz she already kicked me in the balls for it..
    Also, Should i ask a lawyer before i do this? or do u think its not to that point yet.?

Dont worry about a lawyer...Im sure when you go back in and complain, you will figure something out.......

Nakoa is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 06 cts

am i the only person in the world who had a good experience with maaco? 5 years ago i had my old town car repainted by them. it was black(easiest paint job in the world to **** up) with the integrated clear coat. looked showroom quality when i got it back, no drips, no runs, nothing but a showroom quality paint job, looked like a black mirror. i sold the car about a year later, it still looked new, i saw it about a year or so ago, same story on the paint job.
    600 was all i paid.

im thinking about taking my 00 deville up there to get the rear quarter fixed and the whole car repainted( white), should i have any issues with their work, i simply will not pay them until its fixed, and i will make sure they cover a rental car when and if they **** up the first time, and depending on my mood i wont leave until ive gotten a discount for my trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by Nakoa View Post
    am i the only person in the world who had a good experience with maaco? 5 years ago i had my old town car repainted by them. it was black(easiest paint job in the world to **** up) with the integrated clear coat. looked showroom quality when i got it back, no drips, no runs, nothing but a showroom quality paint job, looked like a black mirror. i sold the car about a year later, it still looked new, i saw it about a year or so ago, same story on the paint job.
    600 was all i paid.

im thinking about taking my 00 deville up there to get the rear quarter fixed and the whole car repainted( white), should i have any issues with their work, i simply will not pay them until its fixed, and i will make sure they cover a rental car when and if they **** up the first time, and depending on my mood i wont leave until ive gotten a discount for my trouble.
    You've gotta be nuts. Maaco is a joke at best.

lbeck is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS

Actually, I don't think it looks all that bad. There's nothing wrong with wanting perfection, but you don't go to Maaco for that. I do a little amature body work and painting myself from time-to-time and I can say that it's a lot of work and the material is not cheap. It typically cost me >$300 for material. I like to use polyurethane. And perfection on technique is hard to achieve 100% of the time.

I agree with the response suggesting wet sanding, but I'd have whatever fixes done perfessionally. If the paint is one of the more modern ones that are hare enough to withstand sanding and then gloss recovery with buffing, the results can be very good.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.