CTS-V Differential Swap to CTS
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, CTS-V Differential Swap to CTS in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; Sorry..no answers here but I am interested what would be required. The advantage would be a 3.91 ratio vs the ...
    RobertCTS is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Black the Darkside

Lightbulb CTS-V Differential Swap to CTS

Sorry..no answers here but I am interested what would be required. The advantage would be a 3.91 ratio vs the 3.43 we have and beefer gears w/positraction and beefier case.

Questions:
    1. We will need new axle shafts (2). Will they bolt to our hubs?
    2, The V has a different 2 piece HD drive shaft. What's required?
    3. Will the differential housing have the same mounting locations?
    4. How will this effect my speedo and other related electronics?
    5. Have I forgotten anything?

If it can be done it would greatly improve my acceleration and give me an LSD which I do not have now. What's you thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: CTS-V Differential Swap to CTS

It appears no one knows squat. It seems the least evasive of the mods like turbos, SC and ECU mods. It should look OEM factory and not a warranty issue. I changed the gears in my old Corvette and my Road Runner. Both made remarkable difference in acceleration.

Flyin-Ryan is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS 3.6L

Probably need new wheels since you might need to switch to the 6 lug

Quote Originally Posted by Flyin-Ryan View Post
    Probably need new wheels since you might need to switch to the 6 lug
    I don't know. Maybe the axles will hook up to my hubs?

Will the CTS-V gears transfer to our carrier assmbly?

Got hook up with Jon, our canadian friend, as he has both the CTS & CTS-V

dkozloski is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

Getting the speedometer to work right may require an external device. I did a little research on what is required to reprogram the ECU so that all the DIC stuff would be correct and that gets so far out of hand so quick it'll make your head spin. It can be done, and if anyone has already had it done it's easy but if you have to foot the bill it's staggeringly expensive.
    Don't mess with Binky Bear!

Jon
    Jon is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS-V, 09 CTS Premium 6 Speed, 04 CTS 3.6L, 2014 ATS 2.0T

Sorry Robert, but I'm not THAT mechanical lol.

You could probably ask James, he might be able to help you out. I've asked him a couple questions before and he's always found an answer for me.

I was thinking about putting a Driverselect shifter into my CTS and get the shifting option, but he said it takes more than that. So yeah, I'm sure he's your best bet at answers.

Kael is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): The Mighty Kael, 2004 Black CTS, Every Option

i thought the cts-v had 3.73 gears in the rear?

I need to ask to be sure but I think the gear ratio can be programmed by the dealer with a TechII.

you wont need new hubs, the axle splines willliine up just fine.

the stock drive shaft will probably be fine. the V has the HD two part drive shaft becuase the ls6/ls2 is a very torquey engine and might snap a normal drive shaft.

from what i have heard on the solsitce forums the cases are the same, the internals are different for the Diff's. it should bolt up in the stock location, the width hasnt changed so the stock half shafts should still work.
    this seems to be an upgrade involving the internals of a cts-v diff swapped into the internals of a cts diff.
    (further mounting and size clues: the bmr brace for the V differential also fits the cts differential)

we'll have to call a dealership to see if they can change the gear ratio using the tech II, although I have heard this can be done.
    aftr the computer gets the correct gear ratio everything else like your speedo and odometer and tranny shifting should be fine.

-K

Rey Rey 650 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): CTS

Quote Originally Posted by RobertCTS View Post
    . I changed the gears in my old Corvette and my Road Runner.

You had a Road Runner? My dad has on in his Garage that he hasnt take out like in a year. Its a cherry red with a vynal top....1968 with a 383..Next time he takes it out I'll snap some pics

BlueMalibu is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '07 CTS 3.6 Sport, 6-Speed

Possible better idea. Get a 3.73 ring and pinion from a 3.2L manual trans CTS. You should be able to order just these parts. Then have a rear end shop put them in a 3.6L posi CTS unit. Man, I miss the 3.73s my old CTS had.

Quote Originally Posted by Kael View Post
    i thought the cts-v had 3.73 gears in the rear?

I need to ask to be sure but I think the gear ratio can be programmed by the dealer with a TechII.

you wont need new hubs, the axle splines willliine up just fine.

the stock drive shaft will probably be fine. the V has the HD two part drive shaft becuase the ls6/ls2 is a very torquey engine and might snap a normal drive shaft.

from what i have heard on the solsitce forums the cases are the same, the internals are different for the Diff's. it should bolt up in the stock location, the width hasnt changed so the stock half shafts should still work.
    this seems to be an upgrade involving the internals of a cts-v diff swapped into the internals of a cts diff.
    (further mounting and size clues: the bmr brace for the V differential also fits the cts differential)

we'll have to call a dealership to see if they can change the gear ratio using the tech II, although I have heard this can be done.
    aftr the computer gets the correct gear ratio everything else like your speedo and odometer and tranny shifting should be fine.

-K
    Kael, I remember a Techline article that said that it is not a matter of changing a value in a window. You have to reprogram everything that makes use of the rear end ratio. It said it is more like installing a program patch and it is a huge job to create that patch. If the proper patch exists it's easy, otherwise it's prohibitive.

crud. well leave it to GM to make it as hard as possible on us.

I ran a program for a brand new 4l60e for a hot rod build up (friends thing) you just plugged into it with this tool (i think it was a shop version of a techII) and there was a section for programming the ecm to work with the new tranny, there was a line that said "Gear Ratio" you just typed it in and viola, all done.

Quote Originally Posted by Kael View Post
    crud. well leave it to GM to make it as hard as possible on us.

I ran a program for a brand new 4l60e for a hot rod build up (friends thing) you just plugged into it with this tool (i think it was a shop version of a techII) and there was a section for programming the ecm to work with the new tranny, there was a line that said "Gear Ratio" you just typed it in and viola, all done.
    The article said there was a library, so to speak , of these patches. If there was a patch for the tire size you wanted or rear end ratio already in existance you were okay but you were SOL if you were breaking new ground until the factory wanted to do it. I can't access Techline anymore so I can't look it up.

54inches is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 V

Any updates?

wow, this is from a year ago..

anywho..
    the hptuners software is out so you can change the root gear ratio in the program.
    what koz said was correct to an extent but all of the software does use a single root value for the gear ratio, this is the same thing that is changed for tire size.
    otherwise you would have to use a hardware solution like a modified sprag or a signal interceptor.

the normal cts would run better with a 3.73 and the V would benefit from the 3.4X (too lazy to lookit up right now) because of a bit less torque off the line.

Silver Dollar is offline Das jus fo decorations
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by RobertCTS View Post
    It appears no one knows squat.
    It doesn't make your car stunt, so no one cares.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.