Cadillac Owners Forum banner
6K views 72 replies 19 participants last post by  sv6 
#1 ·
OMG!!! Please excuse my crazy typing!!!!!! I just received word from powerchip that this project is a GO!!! MY SKIN IS TINGLING!! Hold on while I read the e-mails more...... Ok heres the e-mail from the first guy:

"
Dear Nick,

Thank you for your interest in Powerchip.

We can modify your vehicle, it will need to be read through the OBD-II port underneath your dash.

Additionally we would like to get a group buy happening so if you can spread the word on the board that would be great.(special pricing of course)

"

That one includes a phone number for me to call him directly. I will call him on my lunch break today or Monday at the latest. Ok, I guess they have asked me to not post the other e-mails that were from a different guy.

Heres the jist of it- They need a beta test car. I dont think I will be able to get my car to the facilty for it, though Im gonna try because having this done for free would be nice to say the least. In reality I doubt Ill be able to get my car there. Ill give you a little clue- its in Southern Cali so you guys keep that in mind. They would need your car for about 3 days. Once that is done then they would send the program out to other offices for us to get this done. They are wanting to organize a group buy. I will be the point of contact for that. That will be in a different thread so please dont post here saying that "youre in". I'll make a thread for that later today or tommorrow.

They said that once the tune is completed and dispatched then they will need to send cords out to all of the offices that can do the reprogram. There could be minor delays in this step as the cords are quite costly. Maybe to help them keep costs down we could consolidate the installs and get "mini meets" together to have the tune done. I was thinking Chicago, east coast, Florida area, Texas, and of course So Cal.

They said that there will be no end user cable so forget tuning it yourself. The demand just isnt their for the end user cable and development would be costly. Now for the bad news- they will not be tuning any HIGHLY modified cars. That means you cant just slap a turbo/supercharger on it and then take it in and have them tune it. They wont do it.

Well, thats pretty much it at this point. Its a go!!! I CANT EVEN BELEIVE IT!

Post your questions for me to ask them when I call them. Im planning on asking them if they will have a different tune for cars with minor mods- CAI/Exhaust/Headers/Cats/etc. They will obviously do a tune for the stock engine. Also, I will check what octane we will need to switch to. Im betting we will need to go to premium (at least 91 octane). I will also get some VERY early price and performance estimates from them.

Sadly, I might not even be in the group purchase. Im betting this thing is going to be around 500 or 600 dollars. Not a bad price for sure but I want to have my custom exhaust done first which Im betting will cost quite a pretty penny.

PS- I better get a flood of good rep points after this!!!

Post your questions and discussion!

See less See more
#6 ·
I feel for you 3.2 owners since I used to be one myself but I dont see it happening. I will definately check to see if they can do it though!

#8 ·
You bring good news Nick. I hope they don't let you down. Once its perfected will the ECU be a group buy for the module and we self install?

I will check on that. I think they need to actually tune it while its in your car for max effect. That would be nice to send them the ECU and then get it sent back with the tune. That way you could also have 2 ECUs for warranty purposes.

#10 ·
Sounds like you might have to go visit them.

Where are they located? I think a group tune meet would be fun. Maybe I could make it to CHI for one. I cant wait to the detail to come back from them. I really cant wait to hear about potential gains!!

#11 ·
We should also try to get them to be a vendor on this site. Once they start chiming in on their own they will see the crazy amount of interest on here. Im excited. I think I'll do some mental cartwheels. My office is wierd, they frown on gymnastics in the halls...

#14 ·
You owe me a round of golf and sixer of Sam Adams if I do sucka!

Hehe, Ill try! You know I have a special love for you 3.2 guys!

#16 ·
That would be great if they could do both. If they can see that the 3.2 is limited in the mods maybe they would want to do it more. People need HP.

I think I could have my exhaust on and a CAI bought before they actually get this tune going.

Is there any idea what this could mean for us in gains?

Could we have one ECM tuned in the car with them and then buy a seperate one to put in for warrenty purposes? Just a thought. On a side note I dont know what Im talking about. I just love the HPs

#17 ·
I think I could have my exhaust on and a CAI bought before they actually get this tune going.

Could we have one ECM tuned in the car with them and then buy a seperate one to put in for warrenty purposes? Just a thought. On a side note I dont know what Im talking about. I just love the HPs

what you do with your money is your business just dont tell GM

I think D3 just lost out and i am buying a Volant to bolt into my car b4 i do this ECU upgrade. Still so excited. While u were making this thread i was rereading the ESC thread just dreaming.

:eek:fftopic: PS. Urb u shouldn't lock threads like that so they can be burried and lost forever thats very valuable info there and now less likely to be returned in a search. Its like what the Catholics did in the spanish inquisition canturies of teachings are gone forever as a result. Learn from past mistakes in history.

#21 ·
Our weak link is the differential. I dont think this will cause things to break any more than they already have!

#26 ·
Our drive trains are good for 300HP+ The ECU is not gonna give those kind of returns. I'm not allowing myself to get excited yet. If its strictly a West Coast deal then I'd be out of the game.:(
The Aussie tune added 16 HP to a bone stock engine. Tune an engine with CAI and Optimized Corsa exhaust and I think we could be in the +20 to+25 HP range.

Heres the math-
-13 HP added by Volant at the wheels. That works out to 16 at the flywheel with loss. This was proven on a dyno by a forum member.
-15 HP added by an optimized Corsa Exhaust. Most Exhaust companies claim a gain of like 20hp at the wheels. 15 may be low but Im being a little pessimistic for a change! By optimized I mean- Corsa, x-pipe and high flow cats.
-20 HP for the ECU tune with above mods. Again, i think we can get more but Ill be pessimistic.

SO, I think 300hp is a real possibilty here. With headers maybe even more. Unfortunately nobody knows how effective the headers actually are.

This is not going to be a West Coast thing. The beta test car will be in southern Cali then PowerChip will get the information and equipment out to the local offices for us to get the update installed.

#23 ·
Does anyone know of a link I can go to and learn about what this actually involves? Also to Powerchips have a link to a similar tune they have done to maybe another car?

Yeah Tag, I was waiting for D3s CAI but Im getting Volant now and will be installing my Corsa. That should make me ready for a tune when its time.

#30 ·
Reports are saying its like 300hp maybe 305.

The next step is to get a CTS to PowerChip. Whoever does this is going to get a free tune I bet. Anyone within driving distance of So Call shoot me a PM.

#31 ·
Sounds great, nick!

Cost isnt a big issue to me...CTS is still in in's 'bling' modding stages right now. So any performance mods are gonna cost, to be expected.

My only need would be something that can be re-tuned back to factory spec with a laptop, otherwise the tune will void warranty and im not about to do that.

#36 ·
Sounds great, nick!

Cost isnt a big issue to me...CTS is still in in's 'bling' modding stages right now. So any performance mods are gonna cost, to be expected.

My only need would be something that can be re-tuned back to factory spec with a laptop, otherwise the tune will void warranty and im not about to do that.

Not gonna happen. They have already said the equipment to do this is not going to happen. They said it was a VERY small possibilty but it would be 1 to 2 years out. How would the dealer know your ECU was modified?

#32 ·
WTG guys' great news to hear that Powerchip USA are looking out for you guys' over there.
A guy over here just got the tune on his 175kw v6 ute or truck you guys' call it,and he reckons he just picked up the ute from Powerchip and feels like a shift kit has been put in gets up and goes now without flooring the pedal.

#34 ·
I am going to get Powerchip to do my Alloytec190 3.6 after x-mas as i still gotta get the dual 2.25 cat-backs' on the car,and maybe some Pacemaker headers for good measure,at the moment just gt a HSV Clupsport CAI of a ls1 engine car and BMC Air Filter.:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.