What's required to change headlights on CTS?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, What's required to change headlights on CTS? in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; I want to replace the factory non HID headlights in my '03 CTS. What's required to gain access? THANKS!...
    Don Zeman is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Question What's required to change headlights on CTS?

I want to replace the factory non HID headlights in my '03 CTS. What's required to gain access? THANKS!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

gothicaleigh is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Current: None Past: '94 STS, '93 Eldorado, '98 ETC, '03 CTS

Re: What's required to change headlights on CTS?

Removal of the front bumper cover for starters. It's quite a project from what I've heard (supposedly made difficult to discourage theft ).

Please don't tell me your bulbs burnt out already! <starts to worry about her own HIDs>

Ralph is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Quote Originally Posted by gothicaleigh
    Removal of the front bumper cover for starters. It's quite a project from what I've heard (supposedly made difficult to discourage theft ).

Please don't tell me your bulbs burnt out already! <starts to worry about her own HIDs>
    I am willing to bet that there are even special screws to take the bumper or bezels off so that you have to go back to the dealership for the maintenance and they get the money and more labour from you?! This I would like to know.

c5 rv is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 91 Allante (gone), 06 SRX (gone)

Mbai2 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '08 CTS DI 6 Speed Manual Black/Black w/ FE3 Fully Loaded

Here's what I posted a while ago in another Cadillac forum:

It's quite complicated and takes between 1-2 hours. You need to remove the front bumper first. In order to do this, pop your hood and remove the rubber wind deflector to expose plastic push pin fasteners and two (maybe four) bolts that attach the faschia to the car. Leave the hood open. Next, you need to jack one of the front wheels up and remove it. Remove the push pin plastic fasteners attaching the bumper to the car as well as loosening (but not removing) the washers underneath the lip of the bumper where it joins with the car body. This washers are located inside the bumper so you will have to crawl under the wheel well, they are right behind where that reflector is on the side of the bumper and there should be two of them. Also remove the harnesses for the turn signal and foglights. Put the wheel back on and remove the jack. Now jack up the other side and repeat this process. There is also a row of plastic push pin fasteners along the bottom of the bumper. Remove these as well. If you did everything correctly, the front bumper should slide down and towards the front of the car and fall off (careful, don't let it hit the ground) Now there are two bolts fastening the light housing to the car body, one on top and one below the housing. There is also a third behind the rubber insulation of the light housing. This one is the hardest to remove as it involves forcing the rubber out of the way to access the bolt. I'm pretty sure this are the only three bolts, but look for a fourth to be certain. The headlight housing should only be held on by a ball and socket fastener. Now pull the housing straight forward with some force and it should pop out. Remove the harnesses and you have access to the housing. How to open the housing should be pretty intuitive. Now that you know how to take it apart, putting it together is the same thing but in reverse order. REmember this could take 1-2 hours, maybe even three so plan for it. Hope this helps.

-1-
    -1- is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Mbai2 - Thanks for the detailed instructions. Now that I know, I'll wait for a light to burn out before I attempt to upgrade the factory lights.

Thanks

-1-
    Don

Quote Originally Posted by Mbai2
    Here's what I posted a while ago in another Cadillac forum:

It's quite complicated and takes between 1-2 hours. You need to remove the front bumper first. In order to do this, pop your hood and remove the rubber wind deflector to expose plastic push pin fasteners and two (maybe four) bolts that attach the faschia to the car. Leave the hood open. Next, you need to jack one of the front wheels up and remove it. Remove the push pin plastic fasteners attaching the bumper to the car as well as loosening (but not removing) the washers underneath the lip of the bumper where it joins with the car body. This washers are located inside the bumper so you will have to crawl under the wheel well, they are right behind where that reflector is on the side of the bumper and there should be two of them. Also remove the harnesses for the turn signal and foglights. Put the wheel back on and remove the jack. Now jack up the other side and repeat this process. There is also a row of plastic push pin fasteners along the bottom of the bumper. Remove these as well. If you did everything correctly, the front bumper should slide down and towards the front of the car and fall off (careful, don't let it hit the ground) Now there are two bolts fastening the light housing to the car body, one on top and one below the housing. There is also a third behind the rubber insulation of the light housing. This one is the hardest to remove as it involves forcing the rubber out of the way to access the bolt. I'm pretty sure this are the only three bolts, but look for a fourth to be certain. The headlight housing should only be held on by a ball and socket fastener. Now pull the housing straight forward with some force and it should pop out. Remove the harnesses and you have access to the housing. How to open the housing should be pretty intuitive. Now that you know how to take it apart, putting it together is the same thing but in reverse order. REmember this could take 1-2 hours, maybe even three so plan for it. Hope this helps.

Playdrv4me is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V

Quote Originally Posted by gothicaleigh

It sounds kinda rediculous, but youd be amazed... The 2003 Nissan Maxima (pre-body change) was NOTORIOUS for being relatively easy to HID molest, supposedly all these damn thugs have to do is get under the car or get the hood open, and they have full access to the 1k plus HID lights in the Maxima. So I discovered my old passat and others have an arduously difficult process to get the headlights out for good reason I suppose.

Also, he has NON HIDs, why are you worried about yours burning out? The xenon burners are actually supposed to pretty much last the life of the vehicle (course' we all know where THAT definition can go...)

gothicaleigh is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Current: None Past: '94 STS, '93 Eldorado, '98 ETC, '03 CTS

Yeah, I thought he said he had HIDs when I posted that.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.