New CTS information
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, New CTS information in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; This article is from The Detroit News Auto Insider The car that is helping to put Cadillac back on the ...
    BeelzeBob is offline I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!

New CTS information

This article is from The Detroit News Auto Insider

The car that is helping to put Cadillac back on the map is receiving some help of its own. Later this summer, the CTS sedan will be the first General Motors Corp. product to feature one of a new family of V-6 engines.

The move is doubly significant. It gives the CTS a useful boost in power and refinement but it also heralds a promising new era for GM powertrains.

"The new CTS engine is a big deal," says Jim Taylor, vehicle line executive for GM's prestige cars. "Its arrival almost amounts to a new launch for the car."

Starting in June, a 3.6 litre V-6 replaces the existing 3.2 litre V-6 in the CTS and will, GM believes, compete head to head with the best engines in its class, including Acura's 3.2 litre V-6 and the Toyota 3.0 litre V-6.

With 255 bhp at 6200 rpm and 252 lb. ft. of torque, the new GM double overhead cam engine is 35 bhp more powerful than the motor it replaces and gives the CTS a claimed 0-60mph time of 6.7 seconds, versus 7.3 seconds in the current model. According to GM, the CTS fuel economy ratings of 18mpg in the city and 26mpg on the highway are unchanged.

Initially the new engine will be offered in the CTS with a five-speed automatic transmission only. The five-speed manual gearbox currently available will continue as an option, but only with the old engine. By 2005, however, a new six-speed manual transmission will be available with the 3.6-litre V-6.

As well as the CTS, the new V-6 will be used in Cadillac's new mid-sized sport utility, the SRX, which competes with the BMW X5 and Acura MDX SUVs among others. The engine will also appear in the Buick Rendezvous.

The importance of this engine goes beyond just the 3.6 litre version, however, as it is part of a new family of "high feature" V-6s from GM that will be used in vehicles in other major markets, not just North America. This global engine will come in displacements ranging from 2.8 to 3.6 litres and be both naturally aspirated and turbocharged. Applications will include front-, rear- and all-wheel-drive, as well as hybrid vehicles.

One key to the new engine family's success, maintains GM, is that it will be competitive with the best in the V-6 class, yet be built at a lower cost. All of GM's global V-6 engines will use aluminum construction, dual overhead camshafts, four-valve-per-cylinder valvetrain, continuously variable cam phasing and electronic throttle control.

GM says the output of the most powerful variant of the new engine family will exceed 370bhp, with torque in excess of 350lb ft. Two engine plants, one in Canada and one in Australia, will produce the new V-6s for all global applications.

Meanwhile, the CTS has performed well for Cadillac, even without the new engine. Sales in 2002 were close to 38,000 and the average age of buyers is 53, well below Cadillac's overall median buyer age of 60. Another encouraging sign is that 44 percent of CTS sales are conquests from other brands.

Although the CTS suffered a recall for a steering problem last week, Cadillac points to a J.D. Power survey that reflects well on the car's early quality. "Only Lexus can match us," says Jim Federico, chief engineer for GM prestige vehicles.

For the 2004 model year Cadillac is polishing up aspects of the CTS other than the engine, with new 17-inch wheels, improvements to the instrument cluster and new exterior colors.

The general public will see more of the CTS in May when the car plays a leading role in a dramatic car chase, featured in the highly anticipated movie sequel to the Matrix.
    If this site has helped you save money, please consider helping it continue to do so. Click here for information!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

GordonB is offline Awaiting Email Confirmation
    To all,
    This is the article I provided the link to yesterday. Glad you posted it in its entirety. Gordon

peccles is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: New CTS information

According to GM, the CTS fuel economy ratings of 18mpg in the city and 26mpg on the highway are unchanged.
    With all the technology they put into this
    new engine the fuel economy should be
    higher. Heck, the 4300 lb BMW 745i
    has a rating of 26/18.

BeelzeBob is offline I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!
    Is this article in the CTS section?

Originally posted by GordonB
    To all,
    This is the article I provided the link to yesterday. Glad you posted it in its entirety. Gordon
    If this site has helped you save money, please consider helping it continue to do so. Click here for information!

Sal,
    To the best of my knowledge I posted the info. in the CTS section under, http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=738
    which translates as '04 GM Info. I posted it 3/28/03 at 2:31pm according to the timestamp on my post. I also posted the link to Detroit News, but I cannot find it right now.
    GordonB

Sal,
    I found where I posted the link for the detroit News:
    Forum = Cadillac C-Series Touring Sedan
    Thread= '04 CTSv Horse power
    Posting = 4/1/03
    Hope this helps.
    GordonB

Eldo1953 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 53 Eldo, 54 CDV, 74 FWB 96 FWB (sold),1998 STS(sold), 03 ESV
    This is def. good news!!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.