Factory Performance Packages
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Factory Performance Packages in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; Hi, all, a newbie here. I am getting a new '06 CTS with the 3.6, a hole in the roof, ...
    tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Shooting Brake W/Performance package, 3.6 DI

Factory Performance Packages

Hi, all, a newbie here. I am getting a new '06 CTS with the 3.6, a hole in the roof, auto trans and lux package. My question is this: What are the differences, besides the obvious, between the 18" Wheel Performance Package vs. the 17" wheel Sport Package? I realize things like 18" wheels vs. 17" wheels, etc. My main questions are related to items like the Performance Brakes and the Suspension. Since this will mainly be my wife's car, major mods are probably out of the picture here. I have searched and have not been able to find anything on this topic. All help is appreciated.

Paul

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

ChicagoCTS32 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2003 1SC Diamond White CTS

Re: Factory Performance Packages

The 18" sport appearance package or 17" sports package should have the same brake setup. The 16" luxury only package will have a different brake "lining". (corrections welcome)

DrFlag2 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Actually there are differences in the brakes between the 17" and 18" models. The 18" pkg has 325mm rotors (about 13 inches) versus 303 for the 17" pkg (about 12 inches). Both have performance brake linings. The other main difference is that the 18" pakage comes with tire pressure monitoring.

So obviously, other than the fluff appearance paraphanalia, it sounds like the brakes are a worthy item. Based on that alone, is it worth it? And there is mention of a performance suspension. Is that different from the 17" package? Many thanks.

Paul

DrFlag2 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I believe the suspension is the same between the 17 and 18 packages, but I think only the 18" has rear load leveling shocks (a nice feature when you have a trunk full of stuff or a couple of friends in the back seat). I have an '06 with the 18" pkg and a 6 spd. The other significant diference is the performance level of the tires you get with the 18" pkg. The 18" Bridgestone Potenzas are a far superior tire to the 17" Goodyear RSA's. The only drawback is that these are summer only tires and if you live in snow country (I'm in Ontario Canada) you will need to invest in a set of winter tires as well. I bought a set of 17" Toyos and a set of 17" wheels to go with them.
    The brake size is what really clinched it for me as I was fed up with undersized brakes on my last 2 cars (Grand Prix GTs) that needed to have complete rotor replacements at about 40-50,000 miles.

Bill

Any CTS that has HID lights will have self-leveling shocks.

CTS_FAN is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2010 SRX4 Premium 2.8T

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoCTS32
    Any CTS that has HID lights will have self-leveling shocks.
    You mean for the 06 only I assume!

Nope, for any year.

Bfegan is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS, 2000 STS, 1998 Catera

I have a 2006 with HID headlights and FE2 shocks... not load leveling. Came from the factory that way.

RobertCTS is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Black the Darkside

Quote Originally Posted by Bfegan
    I have a 2006 with HID headlights and FE2 shocks... not load leveling. Came from the factory that way.
    Something went wrong on your order. The self leveling Nivomat shocks come with the HID headlights. Purpose being so you don't blind on coming cars. There are other advantages to the nivomats like when your hauling extra weight in the back of your car they level your car so you still look cool.

Thanks, this is the info I am looking for. I agree, the bigger brakes are the way to go. The self-leveling rear shocks are a nice addition as well. Now when I haul some lard butts back there I won't be embarrassed.

TagApl4 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 3.6L Y43 Hotchkis Stage-1TVS-totaled, 13 Subaru WRX

I'm not sure about the 17" sport packge, but the 18" pkg has more rigid sway bars, the STB, IMO the breaks are probably an improvement but not strong enough for how i drive, so i would hate to see the base line ones. i think the tires are good, but again for how i drive i have lost traction a couple of times on asphalt (i like to get my car horizontal if the opportunity arises). Yeah i'm not your typical cadillac owner so i push my car hard and it can hang but for my taste it needs a lil more. Your wife will be a hot mamma in it, sure its perfect for her taste. I just crave a V.

odysseus is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS Manual Trans., '93 STS

Even with the 18" wheel package, you still get 225 tires (same as the 17" wheel package and the 16" Luxury package). The big thing is limited slip with the sport package.

I break the rear tires loose all the time with my little 3.2 and 245 tires. I wish I had the LSD like the V. If you like to drive, any of the sport packages is the way to go. You can add 18's of your choice (with the proper width, offset and bigger tires) at any time later.

Kael is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): The Mighty Kael, 2004 Black CTS, Every Option

the brake rotor sizes do no change between the packages on the cts. the missprint for the brake rotors being larger on the sports package came from the dimensionson of the cts-v rotor being transposed.

the limited slip is a new thing for 05 and 06. I want one.

chiefcric is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS Stealth Gray w/ 1SC pkg

Quote Originally Posted by RobertCTS
    Something went wrong on your order. The self leveling Nivomat shocks come with the HID headlights. Purpose being so you don't blind on coming cars. There are other advantages to the nivomats like when your hauling extra weight in the back of your car they level your car so you still look cool.
    According to the cadillac.com build data please review the following:

17" WHEEL SPORT PACKAGE
    17" Wheel Sport Package, includes (TT6) Headlamps, Xenon, high-intensity discharge, windshield wiper activated; (QWW) Tires, P225/50R17, W-rated, all-season, blackwall; (N93) Wheels, 17" (43.2 cm) aluminum, machined finish; (G80) Limited Slip Differential; (JL4) StabiliTrak; (FE2) Suspension, 4-wheel independent (Y42)

http://www.cadillac.com/byo/selectOp...regularOptions=

Or you can look for yourself!!

You are right bfegan! To be absolutly sure check your cdes in the trunk.

Cc

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.