Cadillac Owners Forum banner

2.8L interference engine or not?

12K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Taz816 
#1 ·
The car is a 06 Cts with a 2.8l. got 2 codes cam sensor a low voltage and cam sensor b high voltage. After testing the sensors and having both sensors come out good I thought O no the timing chain slipped a tooth so i pulled the valve cover to find a broken timing chain with 2900 miles on it and 2 broken rocker arms. I have searched but have not had any luck finding anything on this topic. The fact that 2 rocker arms broke is telling me the piston has probably come in contact with those 2 intake valves. But I am still optimistic. The car was also 2 quarts low on oil which may have lead to oil starvation and the timing chain coming loose. Is this an interference engine or not?

#4 ·
The chains were from a company called evergreen performance I believe. It was a full kit new guides, tensioners, and sprockets. And yes I did replace myself. I use 5w30 Mobile 1 and a quart of lucas oil stabilizer on every oil change. I pulled the valve cover off and removed the camshaft solenoid position actuators out to get a better view and all tensioners and guides seem to be in place. Right now all I have to do is remove the harmonic balancer and power steering pulley and I will be able to get the timing cover off in order to get a better sense of exactly what happened. I also filled the intake ports the head with the broken chain with brake cleaner and all valves held for 3 hours before i went to sleep. My next coarse of action is to do a cylinder leak down test and hope for the best. Does anybody know what the parts interchangeability is between the 2.8l and the 3.6l. Are the just a different bore and stroke? Do all the top end components interchange? I am having a hard time finding parts for the 2.8l.

#7 ·
Most of the parts are the same for a 3.6 and 2.8. Bore/Stroke/and intake cams are different. I'm not positive on the exhaust cam and cam position sensors. Usually you can check some web sites for the OEM part numbers and then check them against each other to be sure. Only about 20% of the CTS's came with the 2.8, so a lot of suppliers don't even list the 2.8. Even though the bores are different, I am pretty sure the head gaskets are the same.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.