Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Multiple issues 05 CTS 3.6L

1K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Argent1 
#1 ·
Ok, so I've read the posts on the timing chain issues. I've heard the infamous tensioner rattle, so I parked it until I could afford parts. Now, after several weeks, I went out to pull it into the garage, and it wont start. It cranks over, but acts like its starving for fuel or something. I was just curious if anyone else has had any encounters with this, and where to start the diagnosis. Any help is appreciated.

#5 ·
What I was saying, was, it had enough voltage to crank over without problems. I'm little smarter than that....I have no issues or hesitations about tearing into big problems. I went to school for auto mechanics. I worked in the field for a while, until I realized I could make more money being a union laborer. I've just been out of the game long enough that I need some diagnostic help.

#10 ·
If you're sure it's not the battery, and by sure I mean you've had the battery tested. Then I would take a look at the fuel pump next, turn your key to the on position (but don't crank it) and have someone stick their ear in the trunk, you should hear a whining noise which would be the fuel pump working, if you don't hear anything that could be the problem.

You might want to make sure you have gas in there too.

#11 ·
Had a similar problem today. Car sat for 10 days, went to start, couple of chugs then nothing. Tried three times then on the fourth try it finally started. Seemed to act alot like my 87 Mustang that when it sits, need to have the fuel system primed a few times to buid up the pressure. This has happened once before and it seems like that was the problem. Try turning the key to the "run" not start position a few times and see if that works.
Hope so. Good luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.