Cadillac Owners Forum banner
2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  RobertCTS 
#1 ·
I am finally going for the V front bumper and grill conversion. I know this has been beaten to death in other posts, but I know we got some experts here on this forum and I need some help.

1. Is it better buy the parts and have someone paint and install them?

2. I want an oem finish, which are the parts I need for the inside fenderwell with the new bumper?

3. Any other things I should know in advance before going with the conversion.

4. How much should it cost me, granted I shop around for the best deal? I heard you guys spend around $ 1200, but is that with paint and installation?

My reason's for the switch-up is because my car is in 100% showroom condition, except for the front bumper- which is pitted, scratched, and recently dented (other people driving the car = bad idea).

I was thinking about ordering the parts through GM parts direct (once I get the list of items), then having a really reputable shop do the painting and installation.

(No flames, I just think it sucks to spend money (to fix the bumper) knowing I missed an opportunity to upgrade.)

See less See more
#2 ·
I think theres a how-to guide for this over at www.cadillacfaq.com with a list of parts, and such.

#3 ·
DDS rollin a CTS said:
I think theres a how-to guide for this over at www.cadillacfaq.com with a list of parts, and such.
Thanks, I got around to checking out the rest of the forum and was shocked that I'd probably have to spend around 2K. I was willing to pay 1200 max, its just a front bumper!!

I'm still going to shop around and maybe see if someone could relocate the mounting brackets on the foglights. Is this even possible?? I think the problem is spending money on those damn lights because of stupid screw mounts.

Is this really worth all the money?? Should I try to locate a wrecked V and buy the parts?

#4 ·
Smokin' 04 CTS said:
Should I try to locate a wrecked V and buy the parts?
Thats certainly an option. However those V boys have a nasty habit of pretty much destroying the front end any time they wipe out. If you have the means, I definately think it'd be worth it. This is one of those mods I really want to do...some day.

#6 ·
Everything you need to know. These are old prices btw.:thumbsup:

CTS-V Front End Modification

Explanation:
Installation of the CTS-V front bumper cover, fog lights (with brake vents), and grille(s) on a regular CTS.

Disclaimer: Mod at your own risk - any omisions or errors on my part are not my responsibility.

Parts Needed: Part NumberDescription 12335777Front Bumper Cover, CTS-V (must be painted) 25750634Right Bumper Extension (new inner fender well cover) 25750635Left Bumper Extension 25753700Right Fog Lamp (includes air vent for brakes) 25753699Left Fog Lamp 25752695Lower Air Deflector (the lower engine cover/deflector) 25750638Lower Stainless Mess Grille 15147586Upper Stainless Mess Grille (includes emblems) - OPTIONAL (you can use the regular grille) NA Two additional screws for the fog lamps (the regular CTS only uses two screws for each fog lamp, and the CTS-V front end uses three per lamp) NA10 Push-in expansion pins for lower grille Installation:
The first step is to order your front end and have it painted to match by a skilled paint shop. I HIGHLY recommend you have your dealer install your front end for you as it's not a simple project and really requires two people to remove the front end and position the new front end.
Once you have your new front end cover ready, you'll need to jack your front end up, and remove both wheels. Next, go along inside the front part of the wheel wells and underneath the front end, and remove all the push-in expansion pins that secure those items to the vehicle. Take note of where you remove them from, and how everything overlaps while you remove them. You'll reuse the black rubber air dam that is on the very bottom of the front end - take special note to how that rubber air dam is installed. Remove the front inner fender wells and the lower air deflector/engine cover (protects/covers the bottom of the engine). Remove the plugs on the fog lamps and on the side parking lamps/turn signals. Now you can gain access to the bolts that secure both sides of the bumper from inside the fender well (by the side parking lamps). Remove the rear-most bolt only, on both sides. Then loosen the two remaining nuts on both sides, only about 4 turns (do not remove them). Now, remove the rubber radiator cover inside the front of the engine area, and remove all the push-in expansion pins from the top of the bumper cover. Now slide the front bumper cover forward and then down to dislodge the two guide bolts that are on both sides (you loosened the nuts that hold them, remember).
[This is a great time to replace your headlight bulbs as you have to remove the front end to gain access]
Now remove the side parking lamps simply by releasing them from the rear and pushing them forward out of the bumper cover. Install them into the new V bumper cover.
Then remove the fog lamps from the bumper cover as you'll need the 4 screws and the rubber fog lamp seals. Install the new fog lamps that are for the V front end by first placing the rubber fog lamp seal over the hole in the bumper cover and then placing the fog lamp on it. Line the holes up and install the screws, on just inside the hole for the fog lamp, and two in the bottom of the bumper cover. Do NOT tighten just yet.
Next, install the Lower Mess grille in the new bumper cover using the 10 push-in expansion pins.
Next, remove all the push-in expansion pins securing the old grille to the old bumper cover. Use these pins to install the new V grille, or your old original grille, into the new bumper cover.
Now position the new bumper cover onto the CTS by putting the two guide bolts that are on both sides up into the fender and sliding it back. Next, install 2 push-in pins in the top of the bumper cover to hold it. Tighten the two nuts on both sides as you align the fender to the bumper cover. Now install the bolt that goes in the third, rear-most position on both sides. Now connect all the electrical connectors.
At this time, you'll want to install the new fender extensions in the front fender well. What should be left to install the lower air deflector/engine cover, but you're not ready for that just yet.
You need to tighten the fog lamps, so push on the back of the fog lamps to align them tight against the bumper cover, and slightly compress the fog lamp rubber seal. Now tighten the screws while you hold this position, on both sides.
Lastly, install the lower air deflector/engine cover, and the rubber lower air dam. Then finish putting in the remainder of the push-pins in the engine compartment area, and replace the rubber radiator cover.
Install Time: Approx. 3 hours

Approx. Cost: $1225 - $1500 (assuming parts through gmpartsdirect.com)

#8 ·
It will run between $1000 and $1200 in parts for the V front end conversion, depending on whether you want the V grill, or will re-use the CTS grill. Paint and installation is on top of that. The side skirts, if you wanted do do them at the same time, run another $400.

The fog lights are identical between the CTS and the V, but the mounting brackets are different (the V has a brake duct molded in), that are not available separately, unfortunately. The fog lights alone will run you $280/pr plus S/H from GMPD.

Also, some items not included in Miscreants original writeup are a front license plate bracket (25750631), if your state requires it (they are subtly different between the V and the CTS), and brake ducts (15140709 and 15140710. All of these are under $10, though.

My total for the V front end conversion, using a painted CTS grill, and V side skirts ran me $2000. I found my V front end complete with grills and fog lights for $450 on eBay, which saved me around $400 in parts.

Remember to add about 15% S/H to GMPDs prices, if you go with them. Also, the CTS Partslist, downloadable from over at CadillacFAQ, is a wealth of information.

If you're going to switch to the V front end, now would be the time (while you're replacing the CTS front end). It's going to run at around $600 for the new CTS front bumper cover, painted and installed, reusing your old fogs and grills.

#9 ·
Yeah, after a price quote from the dealer, just replacing the stock bumper is going to run me 1200 bucks... So the V-conversion is definately going to happen. Its just not worth 1200 to have the car look exactly the same.

If anything, I'll try and find the V-foglights used to save a couple 100. But 2000 for a brand new V-front end with new parts is better than 1200 for just a new bumper.

I could turn around and sell my existing lights and bumper on ebay (i just need to sand and primer it once its off and the V-bumper is on).

I just never pictured myself doing this mod. I mean its awesome, but I just needed a means to justify it to wifey!

#10 ·
I have a V front bumper (bumper only) for sale... I had a very minor accident that ruined the grill and scratched the bumper. Rather than have the dealer repair the bumper (I am anal like that) I got a new bumper and had them paint it. So, I have a silver bumper that will need a paint job and some scuff removal in my second bedroom... I will sell it to someone. make me an offer. I will provide pictures if you want to view them...

Honestly, there is one decent scuff that took paint and a scuff under the front lip (from before I got the car- never caught this at the dealer). Since you probably have to repaint it anyway, a good body shop should be able to fix these small issues...

E-mail me if interested. Its in Socal by the way.

Reed
ctsvett@verizon.net

#11 ·
ctsvett said:
I have a V front bumper (bumper only) for sale... I had a very minor accident that ruined the grill and scratched the bumper. Rather than have the dealer repair the bumper (I am anal like that) I got a new bumper and had them paint it. So, I have a silver bumper that will need a paint job and some scuff removal in my second bedroom... I will sell it to someone. make me an offer. I will provide pictures if you want to view them...
Honestly, there is one decent scuff that took paint and a scuff under the front lip (from before I got the car- never caught this at the dealer). Since you probably have to repaint it anyway, a good body shop should be able to fix these small issues...
E-mail me if interested. Its in Socal by the way.
Reed
ctsvett@verizon.net
This is exactly how I did it. I bought a blemished bumper off of "Parker" in the V Forum. Shipping is difficult do to size. At First UPS refused it in a box. It was rewrapped in bubble wrap and they accepted it. UPS Cost, as I recall, was $80. It will depend on Reed's price to see if it's a bargain.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.