Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Battery Suggestions? (Group 101 vs Group 78)

75K views 110 replies 54 participants last post by  jammgor 
#1 ·
I was out of town recently and my wife had to get the battery replaced. Guy at Advanced Auto claimed that there is only one battery that fits the CTS and it was of course the most $$ unit they sold. Cost was $170 with tax. What's the experience here with battery replacement?

#2 ·
Re: Cost of New Battery

AdvanceAuto sells them for $155 + $12 core + tax. So yes. Autozone and Napa don't appear to carry them. Part is Group 101-xx (xx is Gold, Silver, whatever)

So yeah what a joke since it is only rated at 650cc amps. At least it is a 7yr battery.

#4 ·

there are quite a few different batteries for our cars. the biggest thing to remember is the side post and not the top post. and something quite a few of us recommend, is 800 CCA batteries compared to the 650 CCA that came with the cars...

vms4evr...if you think that battery is going to last 7 years, then good luck. i hope for your sake that it does, but i know mine didnt last but 3

#5 ·

I know I know. I just replaced my 04 grand am's factory battery. 6 years on an acdeloc, pretty good if you ask me. I'm sure I could of gotten a few more months out of it if it was warmer weather.

I still haven't figured out if someone found an optima battery for our cts. Or at least they didn't post what the model number is. I'll be ok if the battery is phsically smaller than ours, that's easy to fix. I just want it to have 800cca or more and be a good fit, or modiflable the housing to fit.

Though, this would be for asurance. I really don't need a battery for the cts just yet.

KOT

#7 ·

I know I know. I just replaced my 04 grand am's factory battery. 6 years on an acdeloc, pretty good if you ask me. I'm sure I could of gotten a few more months out of it if it was warmer weather.

I still haven't figured out if someone found an optima battery for our cts. Or at least they didn't post what the model number is. I'll be ok if the battery is phsically smaller than ours, that's easy to fix. I just want it to have 800cca or more and be a good fit, or modiflable the housing to fit.

Though, this would be for asurance. I really don't need a battery for the cts just yet.

KOT
KOT.... maybe this will work??

http://www.atbatt.com/product/22155...atteries&utm_campaign=frog1&utm_term=RD-SC78S

#6 ·

Most group 78 batteries will work in place of the factory group 101 size. So if any of you guys are looking for an Optima or Sears Diehard Platinum battery, they should work with little to no issue. I have a Diehard Gold group 78 in my CTS and it is rated at 795 CCA's. BUT...... when you go to any battery retailer or if you order one online, you need to ask for a group 78 specifically as it will not show up as a direct fit on the computer or books. Group 101 is the only size that shows up as direct replacement. Hope this helps.

#9 ·

txbest1980 said:
vms4evr...if you think that battery is going to last 7 years, then good luck. i hope for your sake that it does, but i know mine didnt last but 3
No I have no delusions of that. I was simply answering the OP that his wife paid what they charge for a Group 110 battery. I don't believe any battery is good for 7 years. Including the Optima. I've seen too many complaints against RedTops and have been burnt by them myself. They're not worth the money.

Glad to hear you can substitute a Group 78 with a little adjustment ;-)

I just buy Autozone Duralast Gold and swap them every 3-5 years. If one acts up on me in the 1-2 year span it goes back and they replace it. I've only had 1 dud in several batteries.

#12 ·
Best Battery Option For 03 CTS

Definitely Costco Kirkland, $68.99 Group size 78, cca 800 and fits the car perfectly.
Group size 101 is not easy to find, AAP has it for $156, even after 40% off still $117 (max $40 off.)
Hope this help who wants to replace the battery recently. Thanks a lot to this forum.

#13 ·
Re: Best Battery Option For 03 CTS

i just replaced mine, not sure on what group it is.. i pulled it out of my brothers secondary car lol. had to cut the terminals off the top and also modify the plastic tab that sticks up under the battery on our cars, but it fits in nicely and has the side terminals we need.
its only 770cca but its better than what was in there (700cca), which im assuming the original owner swapped into the car before handing it back to the dealer.. unless the car has already eaten 2 batteries since 2006 and the original owner didnt care about getting a higher CCA battery.

#15 ·

we sell acdelco batteries (of course we do we're a dealership) but many people don't know about acdelco's free-replacement warranties that are in effect before the pro-ration takes effect

the 7YR batteries have 50months (!!!) free replacement while the 6YR batteries only have 30 months free replacement
the 7YR batteries also usually have a few more CCA than the 6YRs
sure they cost more, but replacement at any GM dealer should be super easy if you've got your proof of purchase (invoice from original sale of battery - either parts counter invoice or repair order invoice)

our local acdelco battery guy even lets us give customers some leeway so when you're 51 months in we can usually get you a free replacement if you have the 7yr battery

i know they're not the cheapest, but most dealers will sell the batteries at a discount to be competitive with the wal*marts and AutoZone's of the world

i can check on the fair price for the 101-6yr (and 101-7yr if they make them, not sure about that) tomorrow if you wish

#20 ·

OK here's the OEM info
101-6YR is the only acdelco option (they do not make a 7YR version of the 101 series battery)
List price is $155.81
we sell them for $125.82 (that's the fair price i was mentioning above)

since it's a 6YR battery it only has a 30 month free replacement warranty but the other 42 months after the first 30 are covered by the pro-ration warranty at about $2 per month (my list is a bit old so it may be a little less or more than that per month)

the 101-6YR has 650 CCA so if you were to use another battery as some have mentioned above just make sure it has at least (or more) than that
------------

the 78-6YR lists @ $113.16 - fair price $91.38
the 78-7YR lists @ $129.34 - fair price $104.44
(and remember the 7YR batteries have the 50month free replacement as long as you have proof of purchase)

#25 ·

OK here's the OEM info
101-6YR is the only acdelco option (they do not make a 7YR version of the 101 series battery)
List price is $155.81
we sell them for $125.82 (that's the fair price i was mentioning above)

since it's a 6YR battery it only has a 30 month free replacement warranty but the other 42 months after the first 30 are covered by the pro-ration warranty at about $2 per month (my list is a bit old so it may be a little less or more than that per month)

the 101-6YR has 650 CCA so if you were to use another battery as some have mentioned above just make sure it has at least (or more) than that
------------

the 78-6YR lists @ $113.16 - fair price $91.38
the 78-7YR lists @ $129.34 - fair price $104.44
(and remember the 7YR batteries have the 50month free replacement as long as you have proof of purchase)
those prices are more than fair for a dealership, just wish all of them had the same prices...thanks for the info rippy

#26 ·

no prob, we lower the prices to stay competitive and help our customers out
technically those prices are supposed to be only for customers in the shop (we get some labor for doing the battery swap)
if you can get a dealer to come off of those 'fair' prices they are truly 'hooking you up'

#29 ·

labor and the battery was close to the $400 range...and this is after i took my car to the same place to try and figure out the Crankshaft Position Sensor issue. hell, i googled 03 CTS and cranking issues, brought me right to this site and i havent looked back since...

#30 ·

UPDATE
Thanks to everyone, especially vlbasten for the info on batteries. My GF got one at Costco and loved the price. I installed it for her and it fit pretty good. I wouldn't say "perfectly" but it fit. I couldn't put the OE jacket on the new one and I couldn't get the end of the weatherstripping back in place that runs right above the battery. She was on her lunch break so I will take another look at it later and see if I can make some adjustments.
Thanks again,
Rock

#32 ·

UPDATE
Thanks to everyone, especially vlbasten for the info on batteries. My GF got one at Costco and loved the price. I installed it for her and it fit pretty good. I wouldn't say "perfectly" but it fit. I couldn't put the OE jacket on the new one and I couldn't get the end of the weatherstripping back in place that runs right above the battery. She was on her lunch break so I will take another look at it later and see if I can make some adjustments.
Thanks again,
Rock
SO Glad that my post helped~~:)
did you get the group size 78? it's the same width and length, but a little bit taller, just a little bit. if you just put the weatherstripping back and then put the battery in, it should be fine. what is the OE jacket?... no idea

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.