Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Whining Noise Mostly while coasting at lower speeds from the Front?

8K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  CTSM 
#1 ·
Hi All...

I own a 2003 CTS with 42,000 miles.

I know that a lot of people post about the whining noise that comes from the rear of the car. Most people say it's the rear dif. So, I don't want to double post, but I don't think that it is the dif...it seems like mine doesn't fit all the symptoms of the bad rear dif problem.

First off, it sounds like it's coming from the front. Specifically the front right. I know sounds can be deceiving, but it does sound like its from the front right and not the rear.

Is definitely a very pronounced whining noise. No Grinding or rumbling.

Heard almost exclusively while coasting. (so far)

Between 25-55 mph. And goes away when out of that range.

Starts whining about 5 minutes into my drive, and then continues maybe the next 10 - 15 minutes while in that speed range. And then it kind of goes away....

Gas Mileage is normal.

Acceleration and deceleration feel normal. No Shaking or grinding or loss of power.

Still need to experiment more with turning while the whining is sounding. I know if the tone changes while turning it could be a wheel bearing or power steering. But so far, it seems to stay constant while turning or going straight.

I have taken off the Traction Control. It still happens with it off.

Also, I have put it into neutral while the noise is present. It seems to have no effect on the noise.

Recent work to the car:

I just put on new tires. Not cheap ones... So I doubt it's tire noise.

Just replaced the sway bar links/bushings.

The dealer put on New BrakePads and rotors when I bought the car about 500 miles ago.

Anybody with more knowledge and experience than me have any input????

Thanks for your time and help.

See less See more
#2 ·
Get under the car and check to see if anything is touching the tire. I had part of the fender well pull away and rub againts the tire, it only happened on the free way when the wind force was enough to pull the fender away. so just go around each fender well and look for lose plastic etc. also while coasting put the car in neutral while changing the rpm, see if the tone changes with the engine rpm or stays the same. this will show if it's an engine related whine or drive train.

#3 ·
Wheel hub assembly. They are known for producing a whining sound when they need to be replaced. A good way to test if it's your wheel hub assembly is to move the steering wheel left to right while it's happening to see if that alters the noise. Briggy also makes a few good points. Make sure nothing is rubbing up on your tires.

#4 ·
I had a similar issue with my CTS when coasting down in second gear to a stop, however the difference was it was coming from the transmission and when I place the shifter in Neutral the noise went away. I made a theory that ATF level wasn't perfectly right, so I changed my ATF fluid (needed a change anyways it was too old and that car had 75K miles) and made sure to fill it properly per GM's procedure (i.e. fill it up while engine running in P after going through the gear range on the shifter) and voila the transmission whining noise went away at proper level of ATF.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.