Cadillac Owners Forum banner

PLEASE HELP!!! 06 Cadillac CTS Will Not Start

3K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  drea8986 
#1 ·
Hi guys, I'm new here.

We've got an 2006 Cadillac CTS Sport with the 3.6L motor in it. The car will not start.

The instrument panel does not light up when you turn the key, it does not show miles or anything like that, the radio does not come on, no door chime, no interior lights, the head lights don't come on, etc. Oddly enough - the power seats work! The battery is brand new and the starter is brand new. The car doesn't even attempt to crank or make any clicking noises. If you turn the key, you're essentially accomplishing nothing - there's total silence.

We're at a total loss on how to approach this. We have a professional grade Genisys EVO Scanner, but without anything turning on I can't even scan the car.

Any ideas??? We're located in New Castle Delaware if anyone is a Caddy tech or knows a Caddy tech if it comes to that

#6 ·
MoistCabbage, I think you might actually be right. We spoke with a GM mechanic over the phone and he said the same thing..

The only problem is - no GM warehouse in the country has one (LOL), AutoZone and their warehouses don't have any, NAPA didn't have any and Advance Auto Parts didn't have any. I ended up ordering one on Amazon from Titan Direct Automotive originally and waited over a week only to discover that they didn't have any (although them using stock pictures and saying they had them). I'm trying again through a different person on eBay. Hopefully they physically have one otherwise I might have to buy a used one, which is risky.

Cliff notes: FML

Thanks for everyone's help. I'll keep this thread updated just in case anyone else runs into the same problem in the future

#7 ·
So I installed the new ignition switch - all the electronics on the car started working again (radio, lights, dash, etc). The car still wouldn't start though. I took the car to the dealership after cringing on the idea of buying a new ECM after doing research suggesting it was a bad ECM.

Dealership confirmed I did need an ECM :( The dealership stated they couldn't communicate with the car past the ECM, so we jumped the car using a paperclip, drove the car home and bought a programmed ECM from acrautos.com (all computer resources).

I sent them the VIN, the part number and the service number on the ECM, which is on the passenger side of the engine at the top front just under the plastic engine cover. So that's where I am now - waiting for the ECM to show up.

#8 · (Edited)
We installed the replacement ECM last night, did the 10 minute thing with the key and the car started perfectly. The next morning we tried to start the car and it started without any issues. So problem solved!

REPLACING THE ECM (COMPUTER) DIY :
Replacing the ECM was a snap. It will take about an hour. Don't over think this or go to the dealer. They will charge you three times more than it needs to.

Required tools:
1/4" ratchet
Torx bits

Required parts:
Pre-programmed ECM (I got mine from acrautos.com for $345. All they need is the VIN, part number on it, and the service number).

1. Obviously disconnect one of the battery terminals first anything.

2. The ECM is right underneath the silver cover on top of the motor (2006 CTS). Remove the oil cap and yank the whole silver cover upwards to remove the cover. Put the oil cap back on so nothing gets into the oil.

3. On the top front passenger side of the motor the ECM is just sitting there with two big harness plugs going into it. Google it if anyone needs to know what a CTS ECM looks like. Unplug the two large connectors. Next you're going to need torx bits for removal. Go to Home Depot and ask if you have no idea what they are - it's going to make life a lot easier in the future. All you have to do is just remove it and bolt the new one on.

4. Plug in the 2 plugs and reconnect the battery

5. Remove your oil cap, push the engine cover on, then put your oil cap back on

5. Do the whole 10 minute thing with the key to program the key and you're done! My ECM came with key program directions

#11 · (Edited)
$345 for the ECM already programmed from acrautos.com ( they need the part number and service number from the ecm, and the VIN off the car.

The ignition switch was under $30 from eBay. The ignition switch is also an easy DIY project. If none of your lights work, the car won't click over, the radio doesn't work but the power seats do, you may need one of these.

IGNITION SWITCH REMOVAL STEPS

Tools required -
+ ratchet
+ torx bits
I used an adjustable wrench to get the bolts off of the ignition switch ...Just grabbed on to the bolts and twisted

1. Around the steering wheel base there is a 2- piece plastic collar. Remove it.

2. Remove ignition switch ( you should already know what it looks like using Google image search)

3. The part number is right on it. Search eBay and order one using the part number

#12 ·
The lights work the seats work also I can hear and see the car lock if I press the lock button on the key... but it doesn't turn on. I will still order one just incase. How long did it take for ACRautos to ship your part? I paid for the next day air option. They said it takes about 2-3 days for it to ship ....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.