Problems with Size of E&G Lower Grille?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Problems with Size of E&G Lower Grille? in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; I'm having my dealer (Capitol in Lansing, MI) install the E&G mesh grill because of the need to paint the ...
    c5 rv is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 91 Allante (gone), 06 SRX (gone)

Problems with Size of E&G Lower Grille?

I'm having my dealer (Capitol in Lansing, MI) install the E&G mesh grill because of the need to paint the back of the opening and bright items behind the grille black. They are having problems getting the lower grille to fit because the opening is too short or the grille is too tall in the center. They're trying to warm the bumper up overnight and get the grille to fit in the morning. Did anyone else with an E&G lower grille have this problem?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Neoflex is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: Problems with Size of E&G Lower Grille?

I would call E&G direct and question them on it. Its not like its a cheap mod! Also post some pics when you are done..

BUILDINGCTSAMG is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Do u have a front licensce plate cause that could get in the way

Grilles, rear bezel, and new winter wheels / tires are on and I'll post them in the photo section.

gothicaleigh is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Current: None Past: '94 STS, '93 Eldorado, '98 ETC, '03 CTS

Is there any drilling or permanent modifications done when installing the grill, or does it mount the same way as the stock one?

Quote Originally Posted by gothicaleigh
    Is there any drilling or permanent modifications done when installing the grill, or does it mount the same way as the stock one?
    Yes, it requires some drilling. I didn't do the job nor have the instructions anymore, but I remember reading that the upper grille requires drilling out one or more of the holes used by the plastic push-pins and using larger bolts. (The OEM grille is all plastic and the E&G mesh grille is all metal and much heavier.) Also, there are bolts used to secure the lower grille and I assume they required drilling through the blank sections of the lower lower opening.

I'm going to ask my dealer for the instructions back or request a set of instructions from U.S. Speed or E&G so I can do some adjustments to the upper grille. I think it sticks out a bit too much.

An interesting find: the supplier of the plastic OEM grille has a number if things stamped on the back of the grille including the vehicle it is built for "Cadillac Catera."

Ha!

Catera Touring Sport.
    Caddy just doesn't want to admit it and embarrass us CTS owners.

I don't like the idea of drilling holes in things though. I would always like the option to switch back should I dislike the results(I'm very picky about car image things).

BUILDINGCTSAMG is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Mine had noooooo drilling, and was very simple to do....i am not perfectly sure but i thought that E&G's entire line of grills didnt need drilling if this is a real question i can do my duty and call them up on monday....

Could you just look at your car and see? I'm serious about getting a mesh grill, but will wait to see what the pricing difference between the CTS-V OEM one and the E&G is before purchasing. If Caddy pulls it's typical part overcharging, E&G will probably get my business. If either require me to drill holes in my car though, the deal is off.

I remember the instructions saying to drill out one or more of the holes for the plastic push pins and replace it (them) with a larger bolt for installation of the upper grille. However, I can't see anything that was drilled on my car. Maybe the dealer didn't drill mine because I was looking at it closely today and it sticks out too far. I have to get over there tomorrow and try to find the instructions and see if they had any extra parts when done.

darrelld is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

I have ordered the E&G Mesh grill for my CTS. Who has this mod and what are the gotchas involved with the installation.

The local dealer has a CTS on the lot with the E&G mesh grill installed. They did not paint any items behind the grill and you can see the aluminum bumper if you walk up and look for it.

Any thoughts on painting or not painting the items behind the grill??

I asked the dealer to only paint the bright bumper since, as you noticed, it is what what would be visible as you walk around the car. The bodyshop manager said it would be OK to shoot black on the bright A/C radiator, but we both decided to leave it as-is.

When you get your instructions, could you scan & e-mail them to me? I didn't get any response from E&G when I requested another set. I want to see if I can make some further adjustments.

darrelld is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by c5 rv
    I asked the dealer to only paint the bright bumper since, as you noticed, it is what what would be visible as you walk around the car. The bodyshop manager said it would be OK to shoot black on the bright A/C radiator, but we both decided to leave it as-is.

When you get your instructions, could you scan & e-mail them to me? I didn't get any response from E&G when I requested another set. I want to see if I can make some further adjustments.
    Sure can.

Did you DIY or have someone else do the actual install of the grill?

The dealer did the install. The thoughts of painting on a new vehicle and a reasonable price from the dealer convinced me to let him do it.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.