Headlight bulb #
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Headlight bulb # in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; anyone have any idea what headlight bulb the 2004 CTS takes.. the non HID headlights... is it 9006?...
    junior2377 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Headlight bulb #

anyone have any idea what headlight bulb the 2004 CTS takes.. the non HID headlights... is it 9006?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Neoflex is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: Headlight bulb #

I forget the numbers. If you look on your housings they are printed right on the glass. Its 2 different bulbs for high and low beam I think(If I remember right). Keep in mind you have to drop the front bumper to replace the bulbs too. What a PITA!

Quote Originally Posted by Neoflex
    I forget the numbers. If you look on your housings they are printed right on the glass. Its 2 different bulbs for high and low beam I think(If I remember right). Keep in mind you have to drop the front bumper to replace the bulbs too. What a PITA!
    are you kidding me... drop the front bumper to change a set of lights???? What idiot designed that?

I knew it was 2 seperate bulbs... i just need to get the bulb numbers cuz i'm thinking about an aftermarket HID kit for the car.. and i need the bulb number to order it... thanks

bhood23 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Parts InformationPartOEM PartPriceHeadlamp Bulb Low Beam Without Xenon Headlamps25735602$22.19Notes With Xenon Headlamps25735603$289.85Notes High Beam25735601$15.64Notes

Quote Originally Posted by bhood23
    Parts InformationPartOEM PartPriceHeadlamp Bulb Low Beam Without Xenon Headlamps25735602$22.19Notes With Xenon Headlamps25735603$289.85Notes High Beam25735601$15.64Notes
    I appreciate that... but that doesn't really help me... i need to know the "off the shelf" part number... like at autozone or whatever...

Spike1282 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I think that it should be in the back of your owners manual.

RES
    RES is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by junior2377
    I appreciate that... but that doesn't really help me... i need to know the "off the shelf" part number... like at autozone or whatever...
    or you can just call Autozone.....

c5 rv is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 91 Allante (gone), 06 SRX (gone)

The owner's manual says the headlights are dealer replaceable. Somewhere I read that you can access the bulb sockets by removing the airbox and other items that are mounted behind them or remove the bumper.

HPCC is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE

anyone have any idea what headlight bulb the 2004 CTS takes.. the non HID headlights... is it 9006?
    It's actually 9006 X/S (HB4A). Identical to 9006 (HB4), except that the connector is axially aligned (comes straight out) rather than at a right-angle.

HPCC is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE

are you kidding me... drop the front bumper to change a set of lights???? What idiot designed that?

I knew it was 2 seperate bulbs... i just need to get the bulb numbers cuz i'm thinking about an aftermarket HID kit for the car.. and i need the bulb number to order it... thanks
    I was able to get the dust cover off the passenger-side low beam housing by moving the fuse box (two bolts on top and one nut way at the bottom of the box towards the front--also had to pop out a few of the wiring grommets). It's a tight fit, but I was able to get to the bulb. I haven't done the driver's-side, but I've read that the air box comes out rather easily. Hopefully this will offer good access to the low beam on that side as well.

I also considered retrofitting HID, but couldn't figure out where on the airbox side I'd put the Philips/Hella integrated ballast/igniter that all the kits I've seen come equipped with. You may have better luck if you can get a kit with base-mounted igniters that are separate from the ballasts (longer cable possible between the ballasts and capsules/igniters). However, you should be aware that the halogen projector lenses (at least on my '04) have these grooves in them that serve to scatter light upwards for illuminating overhead signs here in DOT-land. The factory-HID equipped CTS's I've seen on my dealer's lot did not have these grooves...you may want to consider the possibility of excessive glare if you retrofit into the halogen housings. IIRC, the dust cover had "Sylvania/Valeo" stamped on it. OEM Valeo HID projectors are as good a place to start as any for an OEM HID retrofit--in any case far less expensive than buying the complete factory CTS HID headlamp housings (projectors not available as a separate sub-assembly unfortunately).

With all this in mind, I decided to settle for a set of Polarg SpecR HIR 9006's instead. Maybe only a little less than two-thirds the brightness of true HID's (vs. about a third for stock halogens), but having just retrofitted HID into one of my other cars I just don't have it in me to take on an OEM retrofit for the Caddy right now...

phuml is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): cts

the drivers side can truly be replaced by removing the air box. i just did it this weekend. i had to use a small pair of pliers to get the light out of the headlight assembly (my hands are too fat). total time to change the low beam and turn signal lamp on the passenger's side was about an hour. that included about 15 minutes of trying to get the low beam out with my hand before giving up and using the pliers.

SHORTSTACK is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 07 CTS 3.6

Quote Originally Posted by HPCC View Post
    I was able to get the dust cover off the passenger-side low beam housing by moving the fuse box (two bolts on top and one nut way at the bottom of the box towards the front--also had to pop out a few of the wiring grommets). It's a tight fit, but I was able to get to the bulb. I haven't done the driver's-side, but I've read that the air box comes out rather easily. Hopefully this will offer good access to the low beam on that side as well.

I also considered retrofitting HID, but couldn't figure out where on the airbox side I'd put the Philips/Hella integrated ballast/igniter that all the kits I've seen come equipped with. You may have better luck if you can get a kit with base-mounted igniters that are separate from the ballasts (longer cable possible between the ballasts and capsules/igniters). However, you should be aware that the halogen projector lenses (at least on my '04) have these grooves in them that serve to scatter light upwards for illuminating overhead signs here in DOT-land. The factory-HID equipped CTS's I've seen on my dealer's lot did not have these grooves...you may want to consider the possibility of excessive glare if you retrofit into the halogen housings. IIRC, the dust cover had "Sylvania/Valeo" stamped on it. OEM Valeo HID projectors are as good a place to start as any for an OEM HID retrofit--in any case far less expensive than buying the complete factory CTS HID headlamp housings (projectors not available as a separate sub-assembly unfortunately).

With all this in mind, I decided to settle for a set of Polarg SpecR HIR 9006's instead. Maybe only a little less than two-thirds the brightness of true HID's (vs. about a third for stock halogens), but having just retrofitted HID into one of my other cars I just don't have it in me to take on an OEM retrofit for the Caddy right now...

A retro fit is not that hard to do at all. It took me a total of 1.45 hours to remove the bumper, mount the ballasts (6 total) and put the bumper back on. Its not that difficult.

Kingoftypos is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS Sport/Luxury package

Nine year old thread... wow that's a new record. lol

But we would not recommend removing the fuse box. Reason being is because about 70% of those people who did, had electrical issues after that. Some it was with in a week, some were a few weeks. In the end, they each had to reset the fuse box and made sure that it was making connections with whatever came loose during the headlight replacement.

So, removing the bumper is the best and easiest way. The bumper could of been removed, replaced the bulbs and reinstalled the bumper in the same amount of time that it took for you to replace the passenger side.

KOT

SHORTSTACK is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 07 CTS 3.6

wow, 9 years... way to go PHUML.

X Rolls-Royce is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

8 years, but at least no one is jumping him for not reading the archives...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.