Cadillac Owners Forum banner
2K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  odysseus 
#1 ·
As the title says, I have a chance to buy the V exhaust for my 3.2 '03 cts for cheap, does anyone have a video or mpg they could send me to hear what it would sound like. Also, anyone have opinions of what they like/don't like about this mod. I'm not really sure I want to as I'm really not into making my car sound louder than a luxury car should sound, however if gas mileage goes up...

Chris

#2 ·
toyosupra said:
As the title says, I have a chance to buy the V exhaust for my 3.2 '03 cts for cheap, does anyone have a video or mpg they could send me to hear what it would sound like. Also, anyone have opinions of what they like/don't like about this mod. I'm not really sure I want to as I'm really not into making my car sound louder than a luxury car should sound, however if gas mileage goes up...

Chris
Chris,
A few members have done this install and have been pleased. Some debate over proper scavenging. No dyno runs yet. I have the V exhaust on my 3.6.
The exhaust note is very civil and a deeper rumble. A VERY CHEAP Mod!:thumbsup:

#3 ·
Yeah, thats the key, cheaper, MUCH cheaper. It's almost definite that the V exhuast is too free flowing on the 3.2, but a Corsa or B&B exhuast would run you 700+, as compared to most V exhuast going for less then 100. The best cheap route seems to be mating the OEM 3.6L to the 3.2.

Nothing wrong with a V exhuast tho, apparently the mufflers are top-notch!

#4 ·
AznPrydeRegalRyde said:
Yeah, thats the key, cheaper, MUCH cheaper. It's almost definite that the V exhuast is too free flowing on the 3.2, but a Corsa or B&B exhuast would run you 700+, as compared to most V exhuast going for less then 100. The best cheap route seems to be mating the OEM 3.6L to the 3.2.

Nothing wrong with a V exhuast tho, apparently the mufflers are top-notch!

Besides the difference in $$...what is the better out of the exhausts u just mentioned..i was also thinking about this. What would the v exhaust bring to the table for me and what would the other exhausts bring to the table for me?? Someone please let me know...I am curious... THANKS GUYS!!! :)~

#5 ·
I have the 3.2 with manual tranny and I have installed V exhaust and dynoed before and after with a net of 3 hp improvement. Not much but not less. For the price the ease of install looks and sound it is great! I personally feel there is still to much restriction regarding the concern of the V exhaust being to free flowing for the 3.2. I felt the single exhaust was completely silent and sterile sounding, now with the V it has a subtle growl, definately not loud or overwhelming. If it is cheap and close by I would urge you to go for it!

#6 ·
toyosupra said:

Chris
Where is this exhaust located? If its within a 3-4 hour drive from central Indiana, I would say you should pass on it, but send me the contact info!!! ;)

#7 ·
You won't be dissappointed, the sound gives it an edge that should have been there in the beginning. It's virtually transparent at regular speed but a nice slight growl at one/third throttle and down right mean at full throttle. The best of all the sounds if your not into the full on customs that are available.

#9 ·
Some of the members explained that they took a piece of paper and traced the outline on the right side and used that template to make the cut on the left side. Measured from the end of the bumper right to left, the measurement should be the same for the left side measured left to right. I've heard a small Dremel tool will do a clean job of the cut and will look factory. Maybe somebody will read this and explain better or you can start a thread looking for the explanation. Lookto some of the members who own 03's and check the mods, I'm sure you'll find several who have done this and will share input.

#12 ·
So in other words its good to imrpove sound but you wont get any performance gain out of it.

#16 · (Edited)
22Cadillac22 said:
ill look into the muffler shop see what theyll do....do you think it would be better to look for a 3.6 for a v?
What Bob mentioned is something to consider far as the tips go but whether u should look for a 3.6L exhaust or the V depends on what exactly your trying to get out of the mod.

The v exhaust will sound better then the 3.6L but u get little HP gain, the 3.6L exhaust with its 2.25" pipe as opposed to the V's 2.5" pipe will probably give u better HP gains on a 3.2L but the sound wouldn't be as throaty as the V exhaust.. I also remember from previous discussions on this that the V-exhaust may add a few top end ponies on the 3.2L but rob u of low end torque so your acceleration could suffer. So its comes down to style or performance and which one ur more concerned with.

What u also may want to consider is doing a hybrid exhaust, meaning get a 3.6L exhaust, use that piping, cut off the OEM mufflers and just add new universal mufflers from Magnaflow, corsa, B&B or Borla. That way u get the increased sound from the AM mufflers and the power from the OEM pipes.

#17 ·
BishopRuger said:
What u also may want to consider is doing a hybrid exhaust, meaning get a 3.6L exhaust, use that piping, cut off the OEM mufflers and just add new universal mufflers from Magnaflow, corsa, B&B or Borla. That way u get the increased sound from the AM mufflers and the power from the OEM pipes.
Those of you who've done this, about how much did the mod cost you (3.6L exhaust, aftermarket mufflers, installation)?

#19 ·
Heck, get one of each and splice them! Put the 3.6 resonator and pipes on the car, then cut off and splice in the V mufflers. You'll have the best of both worlds . . . smaller diameter pipes to help scavenging and keep the exhaust velocities maximized, and the throatier stock looking V mufflers.

The alternative is Borla, Corsa, or B&B, but all run around $800-$1200.

You can easily make your own template from the existing hole on some paper. Flip it over and trace it onto tape on the other side of the bumper. Use a jigsaw to cut about 1/8" inside the line you drew and finish up with a dremel to clean it up. Then remove the tape and admire your clean new hole. I'd do this before I went to a muffler shop, since it has to be done before the mufflers can be installed. I think I'd be more careful doing it myself, since I'd have a vested interest in it looking good, than someone who's just trying to get your mufflers on.

#20 ·
odysseus said:
The alternative is Borla, Corsa, or B&B, but all run around $800-$1200.
A 3.6L exhaust plus a pair of magnaflows has got to be cheaper than $800, isnt it? Those tips though... Dont borla and/or corsa mufflers come with tips?

#21 ·
I was quoting the whole exhaust prices. It would be a little cheaper to get just mufflers, but you'd be surprised to find out what a pair of stainless steel mufflers run. You'd also need to make sure you check dimensions, inlet placement, etc.

If you find a V exhaust for under $100 and a 3.6L exhaust for the same, you'd have a complete tuned dual exhaust for under $300 installed (with tips). The other advantage is that you don't need the whole V exhaust (just the mufflers, which makes buying one from far away and shipping it much more possible.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.