Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Radio face plate film peeling....

3K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  RobertCTS 
#1 ·
Whats up guys anyone notice when you get a scratch on the face plate of the radio or around the nav system it peels what kind of film is that? I also wanted to know cause i wanted to put in a touch screen monitor an to do that i have to cut into alot an i wanted to have the face plate match instead of spraying it with spray paint....

#2 ·
All the IP trim, radio, dash, and everything is already "spray painted".
Manufacturers use special paints to color match your interior panels. The panels themselves are base plastics that may, or may not closely match the finished color.
Scratching panels will reveal the plastic color underneath.

This scratching can be magnified greatly by the use of some agents like Armor all. it softens the finish on the panels and makes them prone to bubbling and peeling. I have seen many interiors ruined by people wanting their stuff to "shine".
I had one 2 weeks ago that was really bad, the finish was peeling off on everything in the car just about. I cautioned them to stop using whatever it was they were using on the panels.

HTH

Reactions: d-dash
#6 ·
The material on the face plate is actually made by Basf its Elastoskin i did alot of searching now only if i can find it in some sort of spray can, probably not though but im going to keep searching if anyone else knows wheres to get it please let me know ty.....

#7 ·
lexs said:
The material on the face plate is actually made by Basf its Elastoskin i did alot of searching now only if i can find it in some sort of spray can, probably not though but im going to keep searching if anyone else knows wheres to get it please let me know ty.....
Have you found it in a liquid form? You might be able to take it to a automitive paint mixing place and have it pumped into a spray can. They can pump any automotive color into a spray can i dont see why they couldnt do that material.......

#9 ·
I used to know a guy who could mix paints to spray paint interior panels.
You might call around and see if any paint shops or mobile painting services offer this. I saw this guy match up some paints for some steering column covers that matched perfectly, he did a beautiful job.

I am sad to say that he passed away from a heart attack a few months later.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.