Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

Thread: 2003 CTS brown coolant

raymondwhite24 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS

2003 CTS brown coolant

hi everyone,
    I have another problem with my CTS. My girlfriend was driving foe a couple hundred feet and the car wasn't shifting properly so she turned back home. As she pulled in I saw fluid coming from behind the driver wheel, under inspection I saw that the fluid was brownish with drops of green coolant. I checked the reservoir and it looked empty, then I slowly opened it and when I did a bunch of brownish rust colored fluid came rushing into the tank. I checked the oil and it seems fine, no obvious signs of coolant. Has anyone had this problem? If so what was the solution?
    I also checked for engine codes and I got
    P1172
    B3832
    B1591
    B2470
    B2356
    I checked them with a list I found online, I was wondering if anyone could verify what they mean? I found that most had something to do with a mirror sensor and P1172 I could not find.

Thanks for the help guys
    Raymond William White

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

curtc is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 1SF RWD

Re: 2003 CTS brown coolant

Sounds like the trans cooler line failed, especially since you mentioned it was not shifting right. I'd get the leak fixed, drain/refill the trans fluid, and flush the coolant system.

As far as your codes;
    P1172 - ? I'm seeing this related to vehicles with dual fuel tanks, you sure it was P1172?
    B3832 - Window Position Sensor Circuit
    B1591 - Mirror Vert. Pos Sensor-Out of Range/Open
    B2470 - Cellular Phone Antenna Circuit (2000+)
    B2356 - Power Seat Sensor Circuit Range Performance

I just checked it again and it says P1172C, weird how it's showing a vehicle with dual tanks?
    Now that you mentioned it, it does kinda look like transmission fluid but browner, but makes sense when mixed with green coolant. I couldn't find the transmission fluid dipstick, or is there not one equipped?

Thanks for the help

curtc is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 1SF RWD

Red+green=brown

I don't think there's a trans dip stick in that tranny, as far as I know it's sealed unit. If the '03 is like the '04+ the trans cooler lines run into the radiator.

I did a little more digging into the P1172 as well, sounds like there is 2 fuel sending units due to tank design, does your gauge read accurately?

no, when it gets to 1/4 it drops to E

----------

does anyone agree with the diagnosis? or does anyone have a different opinion.

thanks everyone