2003 CTS brown coolant
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, 2003 CTS brown coolant in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; hi everyone, I have another problem with my CTS. My girlfriend was driving foe a couple hundred feet and the ...
    raymondwhite24 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS

2003 CTS brown coolant

hi everyone,
    I have another problem with my CTS. My girlfriend was driving foe a couple hundred feet and the car wasn't shifting properly so she turned back home. As she pulled in I saw fluid coming from behind the driver wheel, under inspection I saw that the fluid was brownish with drops of green coolant. I checked the reservoir and it looked empty, then I slowly opened it and when I did a bunch of brownish rust colored fluid came rushing into the tank. I checked the oil and it seems fine, no obvious signs of coolant. Has anyone had this problem? If so what was the solution?
    I also checked for engine codes and I got
    P1172
    B3832
    B1591
    B2470
    B2356
    I checked them with a list I found online, I was wondering if anyone could verify what they mean? I found that most had something to do with a mirror sensor and P1172 I could not find.

Thanks for the help guys
    Raymond William White

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

curtc is offline OCD - Obsessive Cadillac Disorder
    Automobile(s): White Diamond 06 STS V8 RWD 1SF F55 HUD/ACC NAV - 135k

Re: 2003 CTS brown coolant

Sounds like the trans cooler line failed, especially since you mentioned it was not shifting right. I'd get the leak fixed, drain/refill the trans fluid, and flush the coolant system.

As far as your codes;
    P1172 - ? I'm seeing this related to vehicles with dual fuel tanks, you sure it was P1172?
    B3832 - Window Position Sensor Circuit
    B1591 - Mirror Vert. Pos Sensor-Out of Range/Open
    B2470 - Cellular Phone Antenna Circuit (2000+)
    B2356 - Power Seat Sensor Circuit Range Performance
    Past Cadillac's

2004 CTS 3.6L - 2011-2012
    2001 Seville Touring Sedan - 2006-2011
    1995 Seville Touring Sedan - 2005-2006

I just checked it again and it says P1172C, weird how it's showing a vehicle with dual tanks?
    Now that you mentioned it, it does kinda look like transmission fluid but browner, but makes sense when mixed with green coolant. I couldn't find the transmission fluid dipstick, or is there not one equipped?

Thanks for the help

curtc is offline OCD - Obsessive Cadillac Disorder
    Automobile(s): White Diamond 06 STS V8 RWD 1SF F55 HUD/ACC NAV - 135k

Red+green=brown

I don't think there's a trans dip stick in that tranny, as far as I know it's sealed unit. If the '03 is like the '04+ the trans cooler lines run into the radiator.

I did a little more digging into the P1172 as well, sounds like there is 2 fuel sending units due to tank design, does your gauge read accurately?
    Past Cadillac's

2004 CTS 3.6L - 2011-2012
    2001 Seville Touring Sedan - 2006-2011
    1995 Seville Touring Sedan - 2005-2006

no, when it gets to 1/4 it drops to E

----------

does anyone agree with the diagnosis? or does anyone have a different opinion.

thanks everyone

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.