Anyone replaced heads before?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Anyone replaced heads before? in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; So awhile back I posted here about having trouble starting and no compression. Well after months of waiting got the ...
    gannon cts is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 03 CTS. 04 SRX

Replaced valves on 03 cts

So awhile back I posted here about having trouble starting and no compression. Well after months of waiting got the heads back. So now gonna go and put back together. And my problem before was a result of timing belt slipping. Do I purchased a v6 gm Saab timing belt tool from amazon. How the hell do you use it no manual and can't find one online

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Anyone replaced heads before?

Help. I had replaced valves in the heads of my 03. Well I'm putting it back together and wanna do it right. I know should have taken it in somewhere. Needless to say I'm not mechanically stupid so figured I could save money by doing it myself. Anyway how do I know the cams are positioned correct when reinstalling them. And how do I use this damn Ktc tool I purchased to install the timing belt. Thanks.

DavidBoren is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Volant, VMAX, RX catch can, tranny cooler... RIP

Re: Anyone replaced heads before?

I have not replaced the heads on a 3.2 before. But here is a write-up on replacing the timing belt. It might give you an idea of how to get the timing correct. Hope this helps:
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ming-belt.html

jran0823 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2003 CTS 1SC Luxury Sport
    If you bought the OTC kit there is a booklet to walk you through it. It's not bad, just time consuming

AAIIIC is online now Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

Re: Anyone replaced heads before?

Have you looked for a Haynes or Chilton manual? Some folks don't like them, but I've found the one I have for my Subaru is very accurate (compared to the Factory Service Manual, which I also have).

You can also find the service manuals on DVD on Ebay pretty cheap. I've never purchased one of those disks, but I've seen others say that they're great.
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, Hyper Silver Linea Corse Venetos w/Continental ExtremeContact DWs (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

So cams and valve covers are on. Been using chilton guide. Getting ready to put everything on the front together and put timing belt on. I've noticed on the drivers side outside sprocket there are two timing marks. So do I use the one above the 4.

----------

Can't figure out how to upload photo

----------

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBoren
    I have not replaced the heads on a 3.2 before. But here is a write-up on replacing the timing belt. It might give you an idea of how to get the timing correct. Hope this helps: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ming-belt.html
    So thank you for the link your photos helped alot

So everything is together and it took maybe a day for things to reset. At first I couldn't get above 3000 rpms speedo didn't work. Anyway it's like new except now it idles rough. Any suggestions?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.