Spark Plug Disaster
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Spark Plug Disaster in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; Recently I got an engine code notifying me of a misfire in cylinder 1. Therefore, I decide to change the ...
    michaelauderdale is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS

Spark Plug Disaster

Recently I got an engine code notifying me of a misfire in cylinder 1. Therefore, I decide to change the plugs on my 2005 3.6 (has just over 100k). Every cylinder went smoothly until I reached cylinder 1 (the one sending the code). The plug seemed stuck so after soaking it with penetrating oil overnight, I tried to break it loose with a breaker bar. Of course, the plug snapped off flush with the bottom of the well.

Not knowing what to do next, I read on several forums to use an extractor. Only a few turns with the extractor and that too snapped off flush with the bottom of the well.

Now I am completely clueless what to do next. I attempted drilling out the plug (that now has an extractor stuck in the middle) and after nearly 3 hours of work; barley put an indention into it.

Any thoughts or help? Really trying to avoid towing it to a mechanic. Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Taz816 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS 2004 SEVILLE

Re: Spark Plug Disaster

I hate to say this, but you usually cannot drill out a broken extractor as they are as hard as the normal drill. I think there are some specialty drills that might be able to cut into the extractor, but I'm not sure. I've seen shops use a punch to break apart pieces of an extractor in order to remove it, but the part was on a work bench. Check with a local machine shop to see what might work and where you can pick up the tool.
    Are these the original plugs? Was there any carbon build-up on the threads of other plugs? There may be other problems besides a stuck plug.
    If you have a shop you trust, I would have them look at it. They probably have a lot of experience dealing with this. I know I would probably just make things worse if I tried to fix it myself even though I usually try to do all of my repairs myself. (I hate broken bolts)

As far as I know the plugs are original for cylinders 6,5,4,2. However cylinders 1 and 3 appear to have been replaced before. No build up in any of the other plugs. I have been looking into other bits such as cobalt. The only problem I have been running into is how long the bit needs to be to fit into the deep well. Thanks for the advice

Taz816 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS 2004 SEVILLE

Sounds like 1 was cross threaded. If it is, when you get the plug out you will need at least a helicoil or thread insert, or possibly need to have the head welded and retapped. You may have to remove the head.
    I know that is not what you wanted to hear, but if the plug was cross threaded, any technician would have had the same issues as you have run into trying to change the plugs.

DavidBoren is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Volant, VMAX, RX catch can, tranny cooler... RIP

You might want to consider replacing the head, depending on how much this may cost to remove/repair. Here is a website that appears to specialize in cylinder head replacement.
    Link:
    http://www.usedcylinderheads.net/search/Cadillac~CTS/
    Hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck. Let us know how it works out for you.

outsider is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham D'Eligance, 1969 Calais Sedan, 1995 FWB

Be very careful not to lose any parts of the spark plug down into the cylinder while trying to extract it or you'll be pulling the head for sure!

I'm not sure what the best way to remove it would be. Do you have any pictures? If it were me, I'd try spraying it down with some PB Blaster or Kroil every night for like a week and then see if you can get it to turn at all (maybe with a screw driver pushing into it and turning?)

I have decided that it is easiest to just replace the head. I found some on ebay for around 100 bucks and will doing the swap as soon as I get it.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.