VIDEO - does this sound like a catalytic converter issue???!?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, VIDEO - does this sound like a catalytic converter issue???!? in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQ1HfPTer7o...
    thatguyfrom613 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

VIDEO - does this sound like a catalytic converter issue???!?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

DopeEffect is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 3.6L CTS, Hotchkis Sway Bars, FE2

Re: VIDEO - does this sound like a catalytic converter issue???!?

best way to tell if your cats are bad is to check their temp once the engine is at operating temp. you can buy a infrared thermometer from Home Depot for 50 bucks. If they are over 500 degrees they should probably be replaced. Here is a video that explains this and how to properly test it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjPL4D9Mdck

with that said, your engine does sound like it has a bad chain rattle. do you have the 2.8 or 3.6L engine or is it the 3.2L engine?

the rattle after the rev you mean? im almost 100% that the rattle is coming from my muffler under the car!!! but as for the temperature check I got odb2 on my phone and it tells me that info would that be accurate or should I try the gun just incase? 3.6

Does the car rattle on start-up? If so it could very well me the timing chains but if not and it only makes the noise when you rev the **** out of it, it could very well be a clogged cat. Normally at that point they need to be replaced. You can remove them (hopefully without breaking the bolts off) and soak them in warm soapy water and wash them out with turpentine but it's not always guaranteed to work. Checking it via odb2 would work but the temp test is the best way to tell.

On startup it has only happened twice and lasted for less then a second each time, Most of the time the noises and symptoms happen when im accelerating or if I accelerate then let off the gas sometimes i believe it happens close to a downshift.

I had cat effeciency CEL code on bank 2, and a O2 sensor on bank 1 - I cleared codes and only O2 sensor came back on - but now i misfire on random cylinders on highway.

I should of asked this earlier but how many miles do you currently have on your cts?

briggy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): CTS 3.6L 2005 80,000 Miles

Try shaking the cat whenits cold. If it has loose elements you will here it shaking around

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.