Finding the Oil Filter on 2005 CTS 3.6
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, Finding the Oil Filter on 2005 CTS 3.6 in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; Since my 55 Chev in 1965, I have always changed the oil myself. But on my 2005 CTS 3.6 I ...
    CPautler is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Question Finding the Oil Filter on 2005 CTS 3.6

Since my 55 Chev in 1965, I have always changed the oil myself. But on my 2005 CTS 3.6 I am embarrassed to say I cant locate the filter on the engine block. Help!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

CTS V6 3.6 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: Finding the Oil Filter on 2005 CTS 3.6

it is on the top of the motor. Take the oil cap off, pop the engine cover off, and you will see a small silver cylinder. Twist if off w/ a wrench and inside will be an inserted oil filter.

Pengineer91 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS

Further clarification:

The filter is not a spin-on can like just about every other car sold in N. America. Under the silver cap, you will find a replacable paper element.

Z71
    Z71 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS4 Blue Diamond AWD, 2012 Sierra Denali

Here is what the filter looks like..

There is no oil that leaks out when removing the cap, none at all. Very easy and clean removal. I am still running the OEM oil at 7100 miles but I replaced the filter at around 5000, just for the heck of it.

btw-FIlter model is PF2129

RobertCTS is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Black the Darkside

Such a handy spot for the filter!!

jteolis is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): CTS

Easiest oil change you will ever do, no ramps, no mess, no fuss!

Muhammad is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS 2005 Sports Luxury 2.8 V6

Dear all,
    I have never changed oil/oil filter etc but this is my first time as my car is already 7 years old and paying 600GBP (or $1000) for a service doesn't make sence.

I think I have locate oil filter on my CTS 2005 V6 2.8, I am attaching the picture with a red arrow (please correct me if I am wrong as I have not opened the cylender). Also when changing oil filter, do we have to do anything special or is it as simple as taking out the old one and dropping the new one and close the cap. I mean to say, is there any rubber seal which needs to be lubricated and putting it back, or cleaning the silver cylinder from inside with a cloth or ANYTHING?CTS2005-Engine.jpg

Campoli is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 CTS
    Right next to the oil fill cap is that metal cylinder with a nut on top that's the oil filter need a socket 22 or 23 mm take off top filter is inside

----------

Just noticed arrow yup that's it

Kingoftypos is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS Sport/Luxury package

Kind of weird seeing the battery behind it, but yes that is the housing for the oil filter.

Removing it is pretty straight forward, just twist if off with the correct size socket. Just be careful when removing it from the engine, as oil will drip. So have some news paper in the area to catch the drippings. Remove the filter from the housing by just pulling and twisting. It's not screwed on, but it may seem like that. There were some filters that just fell out of the housing, while others took me 5 minutes to remove it from the housing.

When putting a new filter in. Pre-lube all of the rubber gaskets, I believe there are two on the filter itself and one on the housing. There maybe one on the inside, I just can't remember at the moment. Then just install a new filter into the housing and then into the engine. But whatever you do. DO NOT CRANK THE HOUSING ONTO THE ENGINE. Yes you are going to need the socket to put the filter back on, but once the the housing lip meets the engine lip, Stop. If you tighten it too tight, you'll regret it at the next oil change. Some have reported that the housing broke apart while turning it off.

Then there is the bolt on the bottom side of the engine. Since you have a right side driver, I am not sure if the bolt is on the same side as ours or not. Lets say that it is on the same side. What I do is that I lift up the driver's side of the car, which will be the passenger for you. And place an oil catch pan under the bolt. The reason why I lift the opposite side of the bolt is because you want the oil to drain towards the drain. Personally, I would remove the oil fill cap as the oil is draining. To allow for an air intake hole. I also go have lunch to allow all of the oil to drip out. lol I've gone for a couple of hours and it was still dripping, so you'll won't get all of the oil out. lol

Since this is you first oil change, take a picture of the rubber gasket that is on the drain bolt. Or better yet use another car and take it to the auto parts store to buy some. It's not really needed to change it if you don't have it. I change mine on every other oil change though.

Enjoy your first oil change sir, it will be very gratifying that you saved so much money. lol

KOT

Muhammad is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS 2005 Sports Luxury 2.8 V6

Dear KOT, Couldn't ask for a better explaination .... Beautiful and thanks for taking time in writing everything. I hope to do it on this weekend and would let you know the results . I know changing oil/oil filder is a simple task but without approp tools as I live in a flat (which may be smaller than your car garage) so no room for storing tools and doing it on public street where I park my car , comes with its own problems

BUT MANY THANKS

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.