04 Service Security System no start
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, 04 Service Security System no start in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; Hi All, I have an 04 CTS that had sat for about three months. (It ran fine prior to parking ...
    Diesel Dennis is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS 3.6

04 Service Security System no start

Hi All,

I have an 04 CTS that had sat for about three months. (It ran fine prior to parking it)

I Went to start it yesterday and the battery was dead. It was the original battery so, I replaced it.

Now the theft system is enguaged? Service theft system comes up on radio?
    Key Fob operates locks etc...
    When turning the key you hear relays clicking, no trans light and all dash lights go out except the theft lock.
    I tried the valet key and it will not even turn the cylinder?
    Called the dealer and they said the ECM needs to be flashed to ID the keys through GM $150 plus tow charge.

Any ideas on how I can do this myself?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

CaptSoloNJ is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS

Re: 04 Service Security System no start

If your battery is new and you can't get it started, hopefully you may have AAA towing or it's covered by your auto insurance policy. If you do not have all the service procedure manuals readily available, it may take you hours of trial and error entering all kinds of codes and pushing buttons. If dealer asks for $150, that will save some time, and then you can make them responsible for all the systems working again.

Good Luck.

AAIIIC is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V

Try the 30-minute relearn procedure, it may get you back up and running. The procedure is straight from the Factory Service Manual, with my comments in [].

Quote Originally Posted by Factory Service Manual
    1. With a master passkey III+ (PK3+) key, turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
    [Using your master key, turn the ignition ON, but don't try to start the engine.]

2. Observe the Security telltale, after approximately 10 minutes the telltale will turn off.
    [From elsewhere in the FSM, "After a loss of battery power has been restored, the theft deterrent control module will perform a check on the stored vehicle identification number (VIN). If the VIN is CORRECT, the theft deterrent control module will run the VIN Timer for a programmable length of time, typically 10 mintues. The theft deterrent control module will send a message via the serial data circuit to the instrument panel cluster (IPC) to illuminate the SECURITY indicator. After the VIN Timer has timed out, the security indicator will turn OFF." Since your VIN should be correct, that's what should happen for you.]

3. Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds.

4. Repeat steps 1-3 two more times for a total of 3 cycles or 30 minutes.

Important: The vehicle learns the key transponder information and/or passwords on hte ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK. You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.
    [In other words, make sure you complete step #3 on the 3rd cycle, don't just launch straight into trying to start the car once the SECURITY light goes out.]

5. With a master PK3+ key, start the vehicle. The vehicle has now learned the key transponder information and the ECM has now learned the fuel continue password.
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, Hyper Silver Linea Corse Venetos w/Continental ExtremeContact DWs (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

Any luck?

Nope, I have tried the 30 min key on/off as well as several other suggestions including removing ECM fuse, Disconnecting battery grounding positive cable, removing and cleaning grounds on ECM, disconnecting ECM/TCM connections all to no avail.

Car still comes up with service security system on radio locked light on dash and will not start or release key unless done manually.
    Guess, I am going to have to break down and have it towed to the dealer.

Well, bummer.

Quote Originally Posted by AAIIIC View Post
    Well, bummer.
    Had it towed to the stealership...$415 dollas later and it still does not run...They said my 2 day old battery was weak and they had to relearn the computer so they repalced the battery at $185.00 and made two new keys.
    They got it to start but after turning off it went back to security mode...
    They wanted to keep me informed about the trouble shooting time.
    I told them $500 is the max after that I will scrap it...

Has anyone out there ever programmed their keys or fob successfully themselves. Even AAIIIC's list above sounds real complicated and tortuous. The CTS Owner's manual seemingly wants you to bring them to the dealership for that. Do they actually go thru that? or do they have a scanning computer which simplifies everything?

Most other GM cars have instructions in the Owner's manuals which are easier to reprogram.

Kingoftypos is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
    First, there's no such thing as a valet key for our cars.

Second, programming keys to the car with a good key is easy. With out a good key, the 30 minute procedure must be done.

Third, I think you have a grounding issue some where. Have you ever replaced the headlight bulbs? If so, did you remove the bumper as instructed by the service manual. Or did you remove the fuse box?

KOT

Quote Originally Posted by Kingoftypos View Post
    First, there's no such thing as a valet key for our cars.
    Humm..Mine has one...it is a blue key in the glove box unlike the black keys with the key fob.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingoftypos View Post
    Second, programming keys to the car with a good key is easy. With out a good key, the 30 minute procedure must be done.

Third, I think you have a grounding issue some where. Have you ever replaced the headlight bulbs? If so, did you remove the bumper as instructed by the service manual. Or did you remove the fuse box?
    I removed the bumper and replaced the headlight assemblies with after market assemblies from keystone LKQ... Not a bad job about 2 hours to complete...

Stealership called me back this evening...Bill is now up to $1200.00 they said the ECM theft portion is bad so I need to replace the ECM. Get this I asked how much trade in they would give me on an 2011 EXT they had on their lot...$1000.00 is what Camargo Cadillac offered me... I called the local Chevy dealership and they offered to pay the $1200 service bill and give me $2000 trade on a 2012 Ford Rapter or a 2011 1500 4x4 surburban both under 30K miles

Sad that I have bought 4 Cadys from them over the past 18 years after all this it is my last one...

Quote Originally Posted by CaptSoloNJ View Post
    Has anyone out there ever programmed their keys or fob successfully themselves.
    Keys, yes - using the procedure I posted. Fobs, no - those require the dealer's tool to do it.

Even AAIIIC's list above sounds real complicated and tortuous.
    Seriously?? Putting the key in the ignition and turning it to ON and waiting 10min is complicated and tortuous?

Do they actually go thru that? or do they have a scanning computer which simplifies everything?
    They can program the key and fobs using the Tech2 scantool. They may do it for free, since it takes hardly any time at all, but most dealerships will charge you an hour's labor regardless of how simple the process is.
    '05 Stealth Grey CTS-V, Hyper Silver Linea Corse Venetos w/Continental ExtremeContact DWs (summer), black Team Dynamics ProRace 1.2 wheels with 275/35-18 R-compounds (track), Hyperblack Rota Torques (winter), KW Variant3s, V2 front brakes, Hotchkis rear sway bar, EPS cam, TEA-ported 243 heads, FAST92 intake w/LS2 TB, JBA Camaro/G8 1-3/4" shorty headers w/JBA cat pipes, Corsa exhaust, UUC motor and tranny mounts, UUC shifter, MAPerformance trailing arms, Specter cradle bushings, etc...

No, it's not the turning of the key. It's the waiting and then doing it again. Like some garage door openers, if you make a wrong move or push the wrong sequence, you have to wait and then start all over again.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.