CTS 2004 Gear Problems
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By DopeEffect
  • 1 Post By Tom's Caddy
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, CTS 2004 Gear Problems in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; Hello everyone, About couple months ago I've noticed that the car was doing a little push when I was switching ...
    se900se is offline Cadillac Owners Member

CTS 2004 Gear Problems

Hello everyone,

About couple months ago I've noticed that the car was doing a little push when I was switching a gear (to drive or to reverse). So to make it clear, when I was switching the gear I felt like it was slightly pushed from the back. It was so slight so I didn't think it's something bad (it's 10 years old car).

Two days ago when I switched to Drive and started moving I felt like the car is on Neutral gear, it started moving (like on neutral) and when I tried to push gas pedal it made a noise but didn't really moved to that speed as I pushed, like it couldn't get to the 1st gear, but when it got it it started driving normally.

I realised that if I wait for this 'push' the car goes perfectly, but if I try to move right away it feels like it couldn't get a gear. The wait time now is a little bit longer (2-3 seconds).

What can be the problem? How to fix it?
    Don't really want to go the shop before I consult here as I have no idea about the car insides and any shop can fool me

Thanks for your help in advance

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Static1120 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS 3.6

Re: CTS 2004 Gear Problems

I get you, You switch to reverse and you feel the car jerk forward and then switch to drive and it jerks back
    I hate that feeling, I always press the brakes hard but its no use, It feels like it puts stress on the gears every time and I don't think its normal either

se900se is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Today I stuck on the road, when was making u-turn, it was going forwards like in neutral when I changed the gear to reverse. Then it switched, but then had trouble of getting back to drive. Finally it got the gear and started driving and seemed like it's going ok for now, but I'm still worried to get stuck in the middle of the road.

What can cause such a problem? Is the the whole gear box that needs to be changed and costs more then the car itself or is it just some small belt that will cost less then $100?

Please help with the advice

DopeEffect is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 3.6L CTS, Hotchkis Sway Bars, FE2

I would take it to a shop/dealership and have them look at it. the more you drive it around in that condition the worse it'll become.
    Tom's Caddy likes this.

Tom's Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 GTP / 2005 CTS / 2008 DTS

I would say you are low on tranny fluid, one of the first signs is that you feel in neutral for a few seconds while pulling away in first.

I would look at you're tran cooler lines going into the rad for any kind of leaking.

Take it to a dealer not a quick lube and just ask them to check you're tranny fluid. Some good Cadillac dealers do it for free on a CTS knowing a customer really can not check it in their own driveway easily.
    se900se likes this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.