HID to Halogen
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, HID to Halogen in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; My headlights were super fogged over. I was just going to buy new ones but then I realized I have ...
    mattfranz is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS

HID to Halogen

My headlights were super fogged over. I was just going to buy new ones but then I realized I have the HID headlights and they are $800 for a new pair so I cleaned them up real nice. Once looks 90% new and the other is still really fogged up even after two treatments. I was just going to buy the halogen ones and replace it. They are ~$200-$300 for a pair, I was wondering if it would just be a direct hook up switching from HID headlights to halogen or would I need to do something else.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Kingoftypos is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
    It should be a plug and play. But don't forget to plug up the washer hose and remove the relay and/or fuse for the headlight washer.

KOT

Headlights Question

My car currently has the HID headlights, however the headlights are both cracked and I don't want to pay the ~$800 for new HID headlights. Is there any reason I can't buy the halogen headlights for ~$250 and install a 3rd party HID ballast (and bulb of course). I've put an HID kit on my last car.

arw1510 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS 3.6, 2004 SRX 4.6 AWD, 2012 CTS 3.6 DI AWD
    Couldn't you just buy a new housing, no bulbs or ballasts and use your existing bulbs and ballasts in that

Re: Headlights Question

So the headlight housings online for ~$200 are able to be used with the HID headlights?

EDIT: I don't believe they sell just the housings, you can only buy it with the bulbs and wiring already intact. Can you somehow attach the ballast from your old HID headlight to a halogen housing and replace the bulbs in the halogen housing with HID bulbs?

Kingoftypos is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS Sport/Luxury package

The factory housing for the HID and halogen are different.

One, there are no headlight washers on the halogen.

Two the guts on the inside of the low beams are different. Despite the fact that you can install a 9006 HID kit into the halogen (9006) housing does not make it legal. Because the guts are what makes the D1S HID legal, as it puts a horizon in the path of the light. Halogen does not.

So you can go with the halogen housing. But you'll need to plug up the headlight washer hose(s) and disconnect the motor. Don't want it to cause a fire as it will continue to push washer through it when you use it to wash your windscreen.

KOT

ghettomike is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 CTS 3.2L (Sold) / 09 CBR 600rr /2014 GMC Sierra

in theroy, yes this can be done but KOT has some good points.

your positive and negative power source will be different, you will need to buy a 9005 fitting, then splice the harnes and sodder it to the 9005 plug.
    this thread will give you info on te 2 wires you will need to draw the power from(i replaced both ballast on mine.
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...-solution.html

i personally didnt like the washer sprayers so i disabled that feature by unplugging one of the pump, its 1 clup on the washer tank...felt it wasted just oo much washer fluid.

the glass projectors are different, but much better than a reflector type headlight with hids in it, you can aim them.

Hows it going KOT?
    ive been getting bored at the GM Trucks forum... but also found a lot of guys over there came from CTS's and CTS-V's

Okay and as far as just installing the halogen headlights with no HID on an HID car it should just be plug and go. I shouldn't have to do anything other than pinch off the washer fluid, etc.?

the halogens and the HID's use completely different wiring harnesses.
    you would still need to splice wires just like they did in the link i posted.

the HID harness has 12 pin and 8 pin wire plugs i believe, and the halogen is 2 wires.

They didn't go into great detail about how they spliced the wire. My headlights are HID but don't have the washer on them for whatever reason (or it's not currently working in any case). What do I need to do to plugin my car harness to the halogen headlight assembly? That thread wasn't very clear on what was done in that respect.

cut the 12 or 8 pin harness off where it connects to the ballast then use a volt meter and find the positive and negative wires and tap into those.

HID to Halogen

My headlights are extremely scratched. The guy I bought it from seemed like kind of a dipshit and I think he tried to get rid of the fogged appearance using some really low grit sandpaper. I've tried using a couple different kits and it just won't come off. I got the fogged look off but there are some deep scratches that won't come out. In addition to that my ballasts are about done.

With all this considered I'm just about ready to buy some halogen headlight housings and replace the bulbs with halogen bulbs. Does the wiring from the car plug into the housing itself or directly into the bulb? If it plugs directly into the housing will the same plug-in work with the halogen housing and if not what do I need to do to convert it?

Thanks in advance! I've tried doing some research on this but I haven't been able to find much for some reason. What I have been able to find was rather vague and not applicable in my situation.

godsdiablo is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac Escalade
    If the plug for the headlight itself is correct I don't see a problem and for $200 a set you can't go wrong

Re: HID to Halogen

That's what I was thinking. I could just taper off the end of the washer fluid hose and remove it. On a side note, has anyone removed the bumper and did you have any troubles/do you have any tips. I know from experience that sometimes when you take something off a car (i.e. all those plugs holding the bumper on), it doesn't always go back on so nicely.

godsdiablo is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac Escalade
    It comes off easy. Going back on is a little tricky. Make sure there is no gap. It Unbolts then push either forward and then it drops down here's a write up on it http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answe...val/index.html

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

What Cadillac(s) do you own? (Or type NONE)

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Your date of birth and age are displayed in several places on the forum. Only the administrator will have access to your date of birth should you choose to hide it via the privacy option below.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.