2005 CTS 3.6 166K Miles a good buy?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac CTS First Generation Forum - 2003 - 2007 Discussion, 2005 CTS 3.6 166K Miles a good buy? in Cadillac CTS Coupe, Sport Sedan and Sport Wagon Forums; hello, So i have a bmw e34 525 with 300K miles that is still going until the other day. It ...
    tobe1424 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

2005 CTS 3.6 166K Miles a good buy?

hello,

So i have a bmw e34 525 with 300K miles that is still going until the other day. It has a short which is causing problems with starting up the car. Simply fix..

Anyhow, I want a second car. I am interested in a 05 3.6 cts with nearly 170K for about $3800. The car is in great shape, but i am more concerned with the life it has left.

Can this cars exceed the 300K milestone assuming that I maintain it well? Or will I be sitting in a lemon?

I hear lots of people online (not here) saying they've had plenty of bad experiences with this car; very few say its been an excellent car

thx
    t

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

dwassenaar is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS w/ sports suspension

Re: 2005 CTS 3.6 166K Miles a good buy?

Mine has 112,000 only emissions sensor issues otherwise routine maintenance and tires. Still spank the 3 series BMWs and 300 Mercedes.

Check the maintenance records.

bobstoy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS White Diamond Sport

Just read the posts. No start, timing chains. computers,cooling problems,pinion bearings, transmissions. They seem to go well for the first 100k, after that they are money pits.

our parts generally expensive or are they similar to the other cars its shell shares its platform with?

My 740 drove like new @ 190k

Ikera is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 Cadillac CTS 3.2, 1990 Nissan 240sx Turbocharged

Quote Originally Posted by bobstoy View Post
    Just read the posts. No start, timing chains. computers,cooling problems,pinion bearings, transmissions. They seem to go well for the first 100k, after that they are money pits.
    you forgot to mention that all the bushings start to disintegrate, drive shaft, differential, front lower control arms and upper strut hat

I found the car in autotrader..comes with 30 day warranty..

So iguess the only miracle would be that.the previous owner has changed all these parts.

So this is no Honda or Toyota in a gm shell?

mattfranz is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS

Every car has it's problems that you'll have to fix, you have to look at what common problems on the cars you want will be more expensive (or harder to do if you'll be making the repairs yourself).

curtc is online now OCD - Obsessive Cadillac Disorder
    Automobile(s): White Diamond 06 STS V8 RWD 1SF F55 HUD/ACC NAV - 130k

Quote Originally Posted by tobe1424 View Post

So this is no Honda or Toyota in a gm shell?
    Not even close...
    Past Cadillac's

2004 CTS 3.6L - 2011-2012
    2001 Seville Touring Sedan - 2006-2011
    1995 Seville Touring Sedan - 2005-2006

relacsn is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 95 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham

My 07 3.6 has 280,000 and still runs great besides a front wheel hub (speed sensor is bad, driveability not affected). Not sure what all has been changed but fairly certain its been dealer mainainted.

Quote Originally Posted by relacsn View Post
    My 07 3.6 has 280,000 and still runs great besides a front wheel hub (speed sensor is bad, driveability not affected). Not sure what all has been changed but fairly certain its been dealer mainainted.
    ok so maybe not a honda or toyota..because it offers much more than a honda or yota.

but parts aren't too expensive. at least that seems to be the case compared to my previous bimmers.

Any how, i will be sure to inspect the bushings and take the car for a drive. if it drives amazing, then i may buy her just because I usually tend to keep cars for many many miles.

Is it a difficult car to generally work on? I now have a straight 6..so going back to a V motor might be a headache..im trying to trust the american car..

But as you see on this thread alone, there are a lot of subjective opinions.

Ikera is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 Cadillac CTS 3.2, 1990 Nissan 240sx Turbocharged

Is it a difficult car to generally work on? I now have a straight 6..so going back to a V motor might be a headache..im trying to trust the american car..
    I have a 3.2L engine and working on it is not too bad, at least there is a lot of space under the hood. If it was a front wheel drive Northstar, now that would be a major PITA. I hate transversely mounted V engines

i see..

i wonder who has a 3.6 cts with the most miles around here..

s12512 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 cadillac cts

My 3.6 has 176k miles on it. Still rockin! I'm sure someone has one with more

relacsn is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 95 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham

281,912 here on 07 3.6 it used about an 1/8 a quart of oil in 1800 miles since I changed it. Wish I had the service records. Assuming all work was done at the dealership because the original owner had an oil change done there at 250k but not on carfax or a different dealers computer. I love it.

i see..

i wonder who has a 3.6 cts with the most miles around here..

Amatan7 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cts
    Long story short. It's an Excellent car all around in MY opinion. All cars have their issues, some bigger than others, but the Cts well maintained can last well over 250k miles.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.